News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

UK Drag bike rebuild

Started by dragsmart, September 14, 2013, 04:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragsmart

XS engine out and sold, FJ engine delivered and in need of a serious clean! was going to paint the frame but rather go with a lived not loved look, engine came with carb rubbers which saved some cash, have a nice set of flatslides to go on it,

no slave cylinder at present, but think I have found one from another UK FJ guy, will have to do a bit of imaganeering to fit it without the sprocket cover as I will be going with a 3" offset front sprocket to keep the engine central in the frame

am using an old set of FJ1100 cases as templates for engine mounts, hit a small problem as this frame was built around an XS engine and the xs sump pan is narrower than the FJ so sat 1.5" lower between the bottom rails, think I should have enough clearance without drastic cut and weld issues.

Havoc

Excellent, I shall be following this closely. My FJ engined Katana should be hitting the tarmac at Santa Pod early next year. What spec are you building the motor to? Keep up the good work :good2:
Tom
Dangerous Brothers Racing

dragsmart

Running an almost stock motor with heavy duty clutch and a big shot of NOS,

fj1289

Awesome!

Are you running the stock charging system or full loss?

While building my street tire drag bike, I was warned about transmission and crankshaft failures on FJs.  But noone ever specified the nature of the transmission failures.  Noone ever explained what caused rhe crank failures either -- over revving?  exceeding certain torque/horsepower levels?  stress from launching with car tire? etc.

What have you seen or heard?  I'd assume the XJ is very similar in those areas...

Good luck and keep us updated with the buildup and results!

dragsmart

xs was total loss system, gonna keep the alternator and starter on this build, keep it as simple as possible, looks like I have a few late nights in the workshop, i'm a farmer here in the UK so have a bit more time to spare during the winter.

Joe Sull

Thats a really nice looking frame. Leaning back in my arm chair, I probably would have bent the tubes were they come up from under the engine. I'm sure you've got good welds on heavy walled tubing though.
What a nice job. She'll be fun to ride!
You Keep What you kill

dragsmart

FJ engine now in the frame,had a few welding and mounting issues but things a now moving fast, have our first race meeting with Straightliners at Santapod 20th march so set a deadline of 5th to have her ready, will post some pics soon

CatTomb

"Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream." Malcolm Muggeridge, Chronicles of Wasted Time (1972)

fj1289

Quote from: dragsmart on January 22, 2014, 03:15:50 AM
FJ engine now in the frame,had a few welding and mounting issues but things a now moving fast, have our first race meeting with Straightliners at Santapod 20th march so set a deadline of 5th to have her ready, will post some pics soon

What?!  March?!  UK gets to hit the strip before we do in Colorado!

Seriously though - keep us updated on the build and the results!
Good luck!

dragsmart

engine is in, offset sprocket done, electrics next,

FJ111200

Hey hey. 

Don't fire that engine up without the clutch slave bolted up.  :rofl:

dragsmart

no worries mate! have to machine the sprocket casing so the offset clears but also retaining the slave carrier, waiting for rear 530 5/8 sprockets, have had a few comments re the space behind the engine? this was a done so as to house battery/air shifter tank/nitrous bottle and all the electrics, don't think weight distribution will be a problem, I'm 6' 1 and 15 1/2 stone so the rear should stay planted, I like to call it even distribution!!!

Joe Sull

That looks slick! Those pipes are made for an XS 1100? or did you make them yourself?
You Keep What you kill

dragsmart

well spotted Joe, pipes are modded xs11, just need to open out end pipe to run flush with lower frame rail, fitted the front end today, now time look at the dreaded loom.

Pat Conlon

A spin on oil filter will be at home on that engine.
Any thoughts on your clutch set up? That big meatball will need some special attention to hook up.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3