News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Good Day - GTA, Ontario

Started by LeaperV12, September 17, 2013, 11:52:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeaperV12

A very good day to all  :hi:
Been reading this forum for a while and finally joined it today, am from around the Milton area and have recently finished my mechanical engineering.
I am not really new to bikes per say but am more of a German car / Cummins diesel person.
Currently own a 04 Yamaha R1 and am looking to add a sport touring to my collection fairly quick. Between the BMW K series and a Yamaha FJ, i have decided on an FJ 1100 or 1200, as a i rode a friends 87 FJ600 and like it but thought it could do with more power, not really sure about what years or variants i should go with.
Reading these forums however is making me a little nervous (yes i know some people only post when they have issues)
Hoping this forum will point me in the right direction and help make a good trouble free purchase, i do my own maintenance on cars and am not scared to tackle a few age related issues. my only concern is getting stranded somewhere.

sorry for the long post :sorry:

90 FJ1200
04 Yamaha R1 (naked)

scouser

Quote from: LeaperV12 on September 17, 2013, 11:52:57 AMWelcome to the FJ forum.
There are a lot of modifications done to the FJs but it doesn't mean they have to be done. Yes a lot of them do make a great improvment but a lot of riders to that to any bike.
Mine is bone stock still. Im putting new braided lines on mine but thats because its a 27year old bike. the old ones still work but I think it time.
The FJs are a fantastic reliable bike as proven over the years by all the members on this site. fairly easy to work on and lots of help can be had on this board and locally. Im in Oakville so if you need a hand let me know.

A very good day to all  :hi:
Been reading this forum for a while and finally joined it today, am from around the Milton area and have recently finished my mechanical engineering.
I am not really new to bikes per say but am more of a German car / Cummins diesel person.
Currently own a 04 Yamaha R1 and am looking to add a sport touring to my collection fairly quick. Between the BMW K series and a Yamaha FJ, i have decided on an FJ 1100 or 1200, as a i rode a friends 87 FJ600 and like it but thought it could do with more power, not really sure about what years or variants i should go with.
Reading these forums however is making me a little nervous (yes i know some people only post when they have issues)
Hoping this forum will point me in the right direction and help make a good trouble free purchase, i do my own maintenance on cars and am not scared to tackle a few age related issues. my only concern is getting stranded somewhere.
sorry for the long post :sorry:

Scouser in Canada
1986 750 Interceptor
1986 Yamaha FJ 1200
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200
2006 Suzuki GSX 650F
2007 Ducati Monster S2R 1000.
How many golfers do you see play with one club?? same should apply to Bikes and Fishing rods. That's my excuse.

movenon

Welcome ! Don't be alarmed at all the maint and repair talk. Any bike that is 30-20 years old will have the same kind of feeling in a forum. An example would be in the BMW or Harley forums. Next year will be the 30Th anniversary of the first FJ's....  :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

The good news is because they were sold for 10 years worldwide,  there is a wealth of knowledge, parts availability and mods you can do. I think all the known bugs are out there with the work arounds or how to fix it.

I looked at a BMW K 100 (old beemer guy) but decided the FJ was a bit more nimble and more in tune with my riding style. If I was just going to tour 2 up on the freeway then the BMW would be better.  But just to go for a quick ride or up to the store and back the BMW is a big heavy dog. The FJ sits low and is easy to handle and very capable of 3 to 400 mile days. More if you are up to it. The only draw back for me is I wish the FJ's would have had more hard bags from the factory. You can adapt bags it just gets expensive to get a good looking set. It's just a personal thing with me.

The FJ is old school, carburetors, makes engine noise, and no cup holders   :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Again "welcome" and ask questions, lots of great members here to help out.
George

Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

aviationfred

Welcome to the group,  :hi:

I concur with what George said.  :good2:

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

CanDman

welcome to the fold my GTA brother....I'm up in Maple actually....great choice...the FJ is not just a great machine....but this forum has an amazing group of people and friends......truly a one of a kind group....so much information and people willing to offer a lending hand. As far as an FJ to buy...let me recommend Paul Wager whose handle is PaulFj03. Paul is in Napanee and owns...(last time I was there).....I think 7 FJ's and he was planning on selling a few. I would suggest to contact him via PM and let him know. Paul is a great guy and probably the most knowledgeable FJ owner in Southern Ontario. If you look at the "Trips and Travel" section, he has a thread called "Nova Scotia or bust". Contact him and I know he will steer you in the best direction   :good2:.....his only downfall is......he's a Habs fan.... :bad:.....but I never held that against him.. :biggrin:  
CanDman      
Never regret your choices in life ! There is no way to go back to do it again and compare. Make the most and do your best with every decision you make

fj11.5

Welcome mate, good luck with your fj, once you find one you like, there's plenty of help here to get her sorted ,,, oh and post up a few pics when you can
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

markmartin

Quote from: LeaperV12 on September 17, 2013, 11:52:57 AM
,not really sure about what years or variants i should go with.

The early models were more on the SPORT touring and they progressed to more of a sport TOURING motorcycle as the years went by. '91-'93 are going to give you a taller screen and a rubber mounted engine. Anything '89 on up have the 17" front wheel which most people prefer and which will offer a better tire selection, and brake upgrade choices if the desire to tinker and upgrade strikes you.

This article has some good information.  It's a start.  They are all good, just a personal preference.
http://www.mcnews.com/mcnews/articles/fj1100.htm

Don't be afraid to ask questions. 

Welcome to the group,

Mark M

LeaperV12

Quote from: scouser on September 17, 2013, 12:32:19 PM
There are a lot of modifications done to the FJs but it doesn't mean they have to be done. Yes a lot of them do make a great improvment but a lot of riders to that to any bike.
Mine is bone stock still. Im putting new braided lines on mine but thats because its a 27year old bike. the old ones still work but I think it time.
The FJs are a fantastic reliable bike as proven over the years by all the members on this site. fairly easy to work on and lots of help can be had on this board and locally. Im in Oakville so if you need a hand let me know.

Thank you for offering help, i might take you up on that offer some day
90 FJ1200
04 Yamaha R1 (naked)

LeaperV12

Thank you all for the warm welcome :good2:, i have no doubt now that indeed FJ's are great machines and this forum and you folk, an even greater bunch, i look forward to my purchase and meeting you guys :drinks:, ill post pictures as soon as i get the bike.

i have Pm'd Paul Wager to see what he's got for sale. I am looking at 88 to 90 FJ's 1100 and 1200's
Saw an 88 FJ1200 today but it was a sad mess (oil leaks from the top of the motor, front forks and it had black and leopard print velvet stuck all over the bike), worst of all he wouldn't fire it up and kept asking my budget, i just walked away, also saw a K100 and liked it but its too heavy and i am not a big guy. i kind want em both :crazy:
90 FJ1200
04 Yamaha R1 (naked)

oldktmdude

Quote from: LeaperV12 on September 18, 2013, 12:21:57 AM

Saw an 88 FJ1200 today but it was a sad mess (oil leaks from the top of the motor and front forks and it had black and leopard print velvet stuck all over the bike), worst of all he wouldn't fire it up and kept asking my budget, i just walked away,
G'day and welcome LeaperV12. If the bike was presented in that condition, I would have just walked away and not been concerned if he didn't want to fire it up. There are plenty of good FJ's around so don't rush into something that doesn't feel right.  Been there, done that.  Regards, Pete.    :i_am_so_happy:
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

fj11.5

Kind of wish you had taken a pic of the leopard fj just to give us all a giggle , but probably would of  :cray: :bad:
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

Tiger

:hi: Hi and welcome from John's FJ sanctuary in Erin, just 25 minutes North of you :rofl2: :lol: :rofl:... :good:

I purchased my '85 FJ1100 in July (last year) from a guy in Ottawa for $700.00 with 950,000 Km's on her... and have had her out to Cape Breton last year and this, ran a few rides with fellow Southern Ontario owners, had her out to Hudson, Quebec for a weekends touring with six good friends/riders and regularly run two up with the wife at weekends...and the old FJ has never let me down  :i_am_so_happy: In May ('ish) she went 000000 K's, so I now own a low mileage '85 FJ  :rofl2: :lol: :rofl:... :biggrin:

I admit that I have done some work on the old girl, (over last winter) BUT like Scouser in Oakville, she is 98% stock. These old girls are a superb choice...even for short arse guys like me, Paul Wager and a few others that I know :rofl2: :lol: :rofl: Plenty of grunt for solo/two up touring, will stand up well in the speed department, easy to work on, parts are still available for the most part and of course this forum with its great members with a wealth of FJ experience to call on :good2:

Something I'm sure you would be interested in... http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=9697.0

Let me know if I can be of any help mate... :drinks:

John
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in an attractive & well preserved body...but rather to slide in sideways, body completely worn out and and with your last dying breath screaming, "HOOOYA LIFE, lets try that again"!!!

LeaperV12

Quote from: Tiger on September 18, 2013, 06:25:35 AM
:hi: Hi and welcome from John's FJ sanctuary in Erin, just 25 minutes North of you :rofl2: :lol: :rofl:... :good:

I purchased my '85 FJ1100 in July (last year) from a guy in Ottawa for $700.00 with 950,000 Km's on her... and have had her out to Cape Breton last year and this, ran a few rides with fellow Southern Ontario owners, had her out to Hudson, Quebec for a weekends touring with six good friends/riders and regularly run two up with the wife at weekends...and the old FJ has never let me down  :i_am_so_happy: In May ('ish) she went 000000 K's, so I now own a low mileage '85 FJ  :rofl2: :lol: :rofl:... :biggrin:

I admit that I have done some work on the old girl, (over last winter) BUT like Scouser in Oakville, she is 98% stock. These old girls are a superb choice...even for short arse guys like me, Paul Wager and a few others that I know :rofl2: :lol: :rofl: Plenty of grunt for solo/two up touring, will stand up well in the speed department, easy to work on, parts are still available for the most part and of course this forum with its great members with a wealth of FJ experience to call on :good2:

Something I'm sure you would be interested in... http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=9697.0

Let me know if I can be of any help mate... :drinks:

John

John any 1 liter plus FJ's in the area you know of ? and i would love to visit your sanctuary and attend the next FJ clinic
preferably 88+ as i want a fuel pump

Thanks Again to all for the warmest welcome that keeps getting warmer.
90 FJ1200
04 Yamaha R1 (naked)

LeaperV12

Quote from: fj11.5 on September 18, 2013, 05:54:19 AM
Kind of wish you had taken a pic of the leopard fj just to give us all a giggle , but probably would of  :cray: :bad:

But Ofcourse http://s963.photobucket.com/user/LeaperV12/library/Puke%20Away

I couldnt figure out how to insert images so i uploaded them on photo bucket instead
Note: For some reason the pics dont look as bad if that kind of print is your gig but in person, it was peeling off, there were air pockets and creases all over and i wonder what happens in the rain and the horror of paint work underneath it.
90 FJ1200
04 Yamaha R1 (naked)

scouser

I saw this one on Kiji awhile back and wondered what they were trying to hide under that skin.
What a shame to do this to any bike. (well maybe its ok to do it to a Harley)
I normally print off the below and make notes on it when checking out a bike, then I can compare everything and it also helps me remember when I go to make a deal.

Bike Check

Make
Model
Engine size
Year
Colour
Asking Price

Handlebars. Are they bent? If ends are scratched it indicates the bike has been dropped.

Head Bearings. Look for knocking sound when wheeled forward and front bake is applied hard. Check side to side movement.

Fork Seals. Do they leak? If so it won't pass safety until they are fixed.

Brakes. Check for worn pads and sticking.

Frame. Check for welds or is it bent. (Especially around the tail section) This indicates it has been flipped.

Sprockets and Chain. Check for worn teeth.

Rear Brakes. Check for worn pads and sticking.

Tires. Check for cracks and worn tread.

Engine. Run it and check it over. Also look for scratches on the engine guards. (This indicates it has been dropped)
NOTE** Indent scratches indicates a drop. (garage or drive way)
Horizontal scratches indicate it has been slid along the ground in a crash.

Bodywork. Check for cracks in the plastic or breaks. Cracks will eventually flow further and expensive to repair and paint.

Electrical. Make sure all lights, turn sigs, brake lights from front and rear lever and horn work as well as kill switch and side stand shut off.

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬-__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Scouser in Canada
1986 750 Interceptor
1986 Yamaha FJ 1200
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200
2006 Suzuki GSX 650F
2007 Ducati Monster S2R 1000.
How many golfers do you see play with one club?? same should apply to Bikes and Fishing rods. That's my excuse.