News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

What are the rear shock options for a '89

Started by scapello, October 08, 2009, 09:56:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scapello

I have read through some of the old posts but still need some additional input. I am looking to replace the rear shock on my '89. The bike has 69k miles on it and I am about 255lbs which translates to the rear shock basically just being a spring. Damping is almost non-existent no matter what I set it to.
What are the some of the things people upgrade with or is there a fix/rebuild for the stock shock?
I like the GSXR conversion but am not so big on the increase in height due to it, my back and wrists remind me of my age already enough.

Steffen

'89 FJ1200
'76 CB750Four
'74 RD250

simi_ed

Re-read the files section under GSXR shock mod before you consider this route.  I bought a Penske, and have never looked back! :good2: :drinks:
===
Post from Yahoo group
==
2008-Jan-22

Warning!!! Don't bother.  

The 'kind' folks at RaceTech don't have a clue about how to set up a shock from a 400 lb GSXR to work on a 550 lb FJ1100/1200.  I know because I WASTED 2+ months F*$@*ng with them trying to get technical assistance.  Fellow FJ Lister Gary Mastro went to their offices, with receipt in hand, to try to 'remind' them of what they'd done on his GSXR-FJ shock.  RaceTech shrugged their shoulders!!!

My local RaceTech service guy jaw-jacked with their lead-tech/monkey for 2 hours, and came up with 'this might work'.  That was my stopping point.  I now have a Penske 8987.  Bolt on, ride away.  A few others here also have a Penske.  They seem to work OK.

If you & whoever you have servicing your shock want to to try to go down this  possibly expensive road, prepare for frustration. (I figured about $200 worth of frustration each time RaceTech guesses wrong!)

My 2ยข  

-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

SlowOldGuy

Penske, Penske, Penske!

Did I mention Penske?

DavidR.
PS, the answer is Penske!

thuber3040

1985 FJ1100 Finally Home
1984 FJ1100 New purchase
1978 KZ1327
1973 H2

SlowOldGuy

thuber3040

cmon, hertz, budget, there has to be a alternative.

I guess I will have to check into penske since your so adamant on them
1985 FJ1100 Finally Home
1984 FJ1100 New purchase
1978 KZ1327
1973 H2

threejagsteve

Yeah, this has me wondering... is the Penske really $400 better than the Ohlins?
"If you wanna bark with the big dogs, you can't pee with the puppies!"

SlowOldGuy

Quote from: threejagsteve on October 08, 2009, 05:38:21 PM
Yeah, this has me wondering... is the Penske really $400 better than the Ohlins?

If you can buy an Ohlins for $200, then maybe yes.  But then a $200 Ohlins is probably a piece of junk.

I have Penske Sport Shocks that are around $600.  Spring preload, rebound damping, and ride height adjustments only.  All those extra adjusters on the more expensive versions are just something to screw it up with.  :-)

I was easliy convinced when I was able to ride my '85 with the Penske back to back with my '93 and its stock shock.  World of difference.

DavidR.

DavidR.

racerman_27410

Quote from: threejagsteve on October 08, 2009, 05:38:21 PM

does the ohlins have adjustable ride height ?      No
(however you can get one with the nice hydraulic preload adjuster... but i believe you can also get that feature on a penske)

the ohlins comes with a spring.... if its not the right one you will have to buy another

if the valving doesnt suit the bike /rider weight then you will have to pay to get it revalved

the nice folks at traxxion will kindly sell you a Penske that they will guarrantee to have the correct rate spring and valving... if you are not happy they will valve and spring it until you are happy.... no extra charge. but some shipping required if you cant make it to their shop.

yes the Penske is worth the extra money..... it costs money when you want the very best.

BTW they also have the "sport" version of the penske which is a couple hundred less expensive but yet can be fully upgraded in the future should you ever feel the need.

KOokaloo!

thuber3040

The cheapest penske is $625.00. I think they will fit anything since they custom make each one.

I appreciate that but for street riding day in and day out there has got to be a much less expensive alternative
1985 FJ1100 Finally Home
1984 FJ1100 New purchase
1978 KZ1327
1973 H2

racerman_27410

Quote from: thuber3040 on October 08, 2009, 06:49:06 PM
The cheapest penske is $625.00. I think they will fit anything since they custom make each one.

I appreciate that but for street riding day in and day out there has got to be a much less expensive alternative

street riding day in and day out is when you really appreciate the benefit of the Penske....... maybe GURU George on the other list is who you need to be talking to.... he will tell you that bias ply tires are far superior to modern radials and that the stock shock is just fine and never needs to be upgraded regardless of how you ride or how much you weigh.

following his advice will save you a ton of money.

what is 625.00..... three (two?) payments on a new motorcycle?

i guarrantee you put a penske on your FJ and you will think its a different motorcyle.

but thats just my opinion... and the opinion of everyone else who has gone penske.

Kookaloo!

threejagsteve

OK, OK... :flag_of_truce:

I did a quick search for Penske 8987, since that was the p/n Ed posted - One site said $1150 (+~$100 for a spring); the other, $1170 (spring cost not mentioned).

And I believe the Ohlins go for $750-850+, depending on options.

I've really been noticing my stock shock since I upgraded my front springs and put the 15-wt oil in.

So I'm paying attention... ;)

BTW and FWIW, I just checked the (rather expensive but easily searchable) Pasadena Yamaha online parts listing for a stock shock for an '89... $689.98!

But that's not all! If you have a '91 (like me), a plain-jane OEM stock shock will set you back $789.92!

All of a sudden, these hi-po aftermarket shocks aren't looking so pricey after all!

Cheers, and the duck says, "Kookaloo!"
"If you wanna bark with the big dogs, you can't pee with the puppies!"

thuber3040

Well never mind then.
Certainly did not mean to anger people.
Thats just way out of my price range for any of those
1985 FJ1100 Finally Home
1984 FJ1100 New purchase
1978 KZ1327
1973 H2

racerman_27410

Quote from: threejagsteve on October 08, 2009, 07:19:11 PM
OK, OK... :flag_of_truce:

I did a quick search for Penske 8987, since that was the p/n Ed posted - One site said $1150 (+~$100 for a spring); the other, $1170 (spring cost not mentioned).

And I believe the Ohlins go for $750-850+, depending on options.

I've really been noticing my stock shock since I upgraded my front springs and put the 15-wt oil in.

So I'm paying attention... ;)

BTW and FWIW, I just checked the (rather expensive but easily searchable) Pasadena Yamaha online parts listing for a stock shock for an '89... $689.98!

But that's not all! If you have a '91 (like me), a plain-jane OEM stock shock will set you back $789.92!

All of a sudden, these hi-po aftermarket shocks aren't looking so pricey after all!

Cheers, and the duck says, "Kookaloo!"

the Penske "sport" shock is all most people would need for street riding... i believe it's right in line with the pricing for a stock shock

i have the double adjustable 8981

the triple adjustable 8987 is big bucks and IMO overkill for street riding.

Kookaloo!

racerman_27410

Quote from: thuber3040 on October 08, 2009, 07:34:54 PM
Well never mind then.
Certainly did not mean to anger people.
Thats just way out of my price range for any of those

LOL you're not angering anyone.... and i dont blame you for wanting to work within a budget.... however having good suspension is going to make a world of difference in how the motorcycle rides and in how much you enjoy riding it..... look at it like this..... if you buy a penske and then someday decide to sell your FJ the Penske can be fit to most any motorcycle you decide to replace it with.....even a brand new one!

think of a premium shock as an investment in your motorcycle riding future.

i cant always afford everything i want.... but i know how to put money back until i can afford the things i really want...my technique is called "saving up money for the stuff i want"   :biggrin:

Kookaloo!  :yahoo: