News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Float height suggestion for 1986 Fj1200?

Started by europe50, October 08, 2009, 01:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

europe50

Hey guys,
I have a 1986 FJ1200 and want to set the best float height for my FJ. Due to the floats are old, has anyone noticed a difference between what the manual recommends and what should be done now after 24 years? If so, what is that height?

Here is a quote from "Fuction of the Mikuni..."
"Since the floats on the FJ's are getting old, they're probably not "floating" with as much force as they did when they were new which contributes to the overflowing problems. So, stick with the recommended float height, or better yet, measure the fuel level directly
using clear tubing attached to the float bowl drain port."

simi_ed

If the floats are not floating, they're bad.  If you want to find what's wrong with your float level, take a look at the orings under the needle valve seats.  Mine were cracked & leaking gas, causing my float level to be so high that I had fuel running off the swingarm at a stop!  Check your floats in gasoline, check/change the orings, and adjust as per the manual.  All should be OK.  And check your low speed circuit to make sure it's all clear at the same time.
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

thuber3040

used to be a common problem in quadrajets,lol
I've worked on enough carbs that you always check for gas-logged floats
hey I'm old
1985 FJ1100 Finally Home
1984 FJ1100 New purchase
1978 KZ1327
1973 H2

SlowOldGuy

Quote from: thuber3040 on October 08, 2009, 03:40:18 PM
used to be a common problem in quadrajets,lol
I've worked on enough carbs that you always check for gas-logged floats
hey I'm old

Been there, done that!  Many times.  I could pull the top and change the float in a Quadrajet without even taking the carb off of the intake, rejet (or re-needle) too.  They were great carbs IF you got them adjusted right.

DavidR.

andyb

Go by what works for you, not by a spec.

The bike should handle cruising at 2k rpm in 4th, snapping the gas to WOT, without a stumble if the fuel height is correct.