News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Rear break rotor

Started by Tex, October 05, 2013, 09:57:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tex

Hi all,

Where can I get a rear rotor from? 1993 fj1200 abs. Yamaha wants $350. Really? Do any aftermarket supply them? Thanks

Scott
Scott

1993 FJ 1200 ABS

Tor-King

Quote from: Tex on October 05, 2013, 09:57:51 AM
Hi all,

Where can I get a rear rotor from? 1993 fj1200 abs. Yamaha wants $350. Really? Do any aftermarket supply them? Thanks

Hey there, Scott.

Any rear rotor ABS or non ABS will work; they are the same part #.  EBC has a replacement.  I also have a '93 ABS version and this is the route that I will be taking as mine also needs replacement.  I agree --  $350 is nuts!  There is one on EBay currently.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/EBC-PRO-LITE-REAR-BRAKE-ROTOR-YAMAHA-FJ1200-ALL-86-93-/190505040450

Have a good one,
Dean
Scott
1993 Yamaha FJ1200
1988 Yamaha FJ1200
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
1984 Honda Nighthawk S 750
1972 Yamaha XS-2
1972 Honda CT70
1974 Honda CT70
1992 Yamaha DT50 MX
2012 Honda CBR250R
2008 Honda CBR125R

Alf

Be careful and ask where is made. The Chinese discs break. I know because i´ve seen a couple of them broken the same afternoon in a closed track

Tex

Scott

1993 FJ 1200 ABS

Tex

Scott

1993 FJ 1200 ABS

rktmanfj

I recently ordered a rear disc and got the best price I could find at Amazon, of all places.

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

ribbert

Quote from: Alf on October 05, 2013, 03:40:41 PM
Be careful and ask where is made. The Chinese discs break. I know because i´ve seen a couple of them broken the same afternoon in a closed track

Alf, for the benefit of those that don't know any better or are new, perhaps you should qualify that.

Chinese rotors (Arashi) are used extensively by FJ forum members without issue and when I was originally researching them I found many other forums with the same high rate of use. Even on Hyabusa and track day forums.

The only reference to failures was third hand stories. I could not find a single instance of first hand failure. Not saying it hasn't happened but these rotors are used in very high numbers and there is plenty of support for the good performance and service they give. Look long enough on the net and you will find isolated examples of disc failures from ALL the major, and expensive, brands.

Speaking for myself, my brakes get used fairly aggressively and have had plenty of max rate stops from high speed (200kph+) and now have about 15,000km on them and still look like new. I use EBC HH pads. What else do they need to do?

As most of the other rotor options are very expensive it would be a shame to turn people off the these good value for money alternatives unnecessarily.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

aviationfred

I have the Arashi wave rotors on the front and an Arashi Suzuki RF900 wave rotor on the rear. I have about 8k miles on them without any issues. I highly recommend them. :dance2: :good2:

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Alf

Hola, Noel:

Sorry but I don´t agree with you about to fit cheapo alternatives on brakes. It´s not 3rd hand histories, I´ve seen myself Chinese economic made broken discs a couple of times in closed tracks, last time past July in Los Arcos track in Navarra, Spain

Sorry for not be specific with the brand, but I don´t know which it is. Next time I will ask, but I know that the guy bought directly from China on eBay
I don´t doubt about your experience. But if you use intensely your FJ in tight roads or make incursions in closed tracks I can only recommend EBC, Brembo, OE discs... or, best of all, ISR.

I use OE disc with Goldfren or Summimoto pads (soft pads) in a hot climate and very hard, and in closed tracks a couple of times in a year. And the discs are near new after 40.000 kms (obviously I spend a lot of pad sets). Really is it worth to experiment in a 240km/h + missile?

It is like that Bell add in the 80s. "is your head worth $10?, so buy a $10 helmet"

ribbert

Quote from: Alf on October 06, 2013, 04:44:06 AM
Hola, Noel:

Sorry but I don´t agree with you about to fit cheapo alternatives on brakes.

Alf, it's not me your disagreeing with, it's the wider global motorcycling community.

I looked hard to find someone that would criticise them but could only find glowing testimonials, and I covered a lot of sites. As I said, it may have happened to someone, but by sheer numbers, they are a winner.

The only negative feedback I could find was an FJR site that said you may as well throw yourself of a bridge, you at least get to choose the time and place.
Funny thing was, not one of them, or anyone they new first hand, had a problem, it was all hearsay.

Alf, ignoring my own experience with these, do a bit of research (as I did) and you will find little support for your opinion on these rotors.
Pick a make, pick a model, pick a country, pick a forum, they are very popular.

A failed rotor is after all a matter of fact, not opinion.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, as we all are, and I'm not disputing your experience but I think in this case the numbers alone are against you. Everybody here is happy with these brakes, and I'm sure there are some very heavy brake users amongst us, and this should be the advice we pass on.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Alf

Noel, amigo

Sorry if I could look a bit rude, dogmatical or assertive in my posts. I don´t  pretend that. Its only that I´m not native English, so a lot of times I have problems transmitting the things that I want to say. The Spanish language is less polite.

The problem is not my experience with those discs. It is my no-experience with those. And for me is the same that all over the world disagree with me. If I have not tested myself anything I can´t recommended it. And less referring to a vital bike system.

And each individual is a world. Different uses, body weights, style of riding or simply places where we ride could take us to different conclusions

I.e. from my previous post I´ve gone to a fast 160 kms riding. Starting my home I´ve gone to the mountains and back. Tight roads, all the time with U-shape and 90º bends. Exiting the curves from 2nd/3rd gear full throttle to accelerate to 100-120 km/h in 3-5 seconds interval between bends and braking hard the next one to get the bike on the next bend at 40-60 km/h applying the rear brake when seeing the outside of the curve to slide the rear end and situate the bike to apply full throttle again. And 3-5 seconds at full throttle again before to apply hard brakes again. And again and again. All the time with a friend of mine riding a Triumph 675, like a bicycle compared with my cow

And when coming back home even more exigence to the brakes because you pass from 2500 m. high altitude to the sea level in 50 kms. And after all this kind of brake abuse, with 26ºC hot temperature (and the asphalt environment even hotter with the tropical sun) my R1 callipers, goldfren pads, Nissin Fazer master, OE discs and metallic hoses only get a bit spongy at the end. And this abuse is near all weekends

See my rear tyre worn-out beyond the edges...

Regards and sorry again

ribbert

Quote from: Alf on October 06, 2013, 10:33:06 AM
Noel, amigo

Sorry if I could look a bit rude, dogmatical or assertive in my posts. I don´t  pretend that. Its only that I´m not native English, so a lot of times I have problems transmitting the things that I want to say. The Spanish language is less polite.

No problems with the language Alf, I understand what you're saying.

Noel

WhiteBeard

An older post on the subject:

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=8907.0;topicseen

I'm a swede but I actually hadn't heard of ISR before.
You learn something every day.

:dash1: