News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Running terrible at low revs when hot

Started by Rustyas, October 10, 2013, 04:34:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

movenon

Quote from: Rustyas on October 25, 2013, 04:02:27 AM
After fixing the hose from the pet cock to the carb the bike still runs rough when it gets hot. :diablo:

From what I an see from other posts and topics, it may be running very rich.

The plugs are all carboned up, all the same

The bike runs ok when cold, as it gets hotter it runs worse

All the hoses are now sorted.

My next plan is to strip down the carbs and check the jet sizes. Any suggestions on how far to go with the resizing? Not sure what's in there at the moment

Cheers

Cleaning and rebuilding the carbs is always good and truthfully is probably what it needs.  How does the the idle react when you adjust the idle air screws ? Did you do a blip test ?  Have you synced the carbs ? If you clean or rebuild the carbs you will need to sync them to make it run smooth.

On the carbs I recommend to go into the "File" section and read through the carb information. There are some good "how to's" in there. While the carbs are pretty basic there is a lot of little details that can mess with you. Randy at RPM (racerrad8) can help you or suggest jets for you. Send him a PM or e mail from his web site. http://www.rpmracingca.com/products.asp?cat=24 .

Also lots of posts on carbs to read through. Try the Search function and scan those. Ask questions as you go. Pictures do help when trying to describe something. I never did pick up where you are located. Perhaps there is a FJ owner in the area that can also advise you.
George

Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

Dazza57

Hey Rusty, I'm not an expert by far, but have just gone through a full rebuild of the carbs, became a character building exercise. George gives great advice, and there is heaps of info in the files on carbs. The "blip" test and the idle mixture is a good place to start. When I did mine and the beast actually ran, I had to do the synch before she actually ran "RIGHT" Kookaloo !!

Good luck, and you know where to find us.

Cheers, Dazza
Greatest joke in the world - Two women sitting quietly in a room together, minding their own business :)
Bikes owned
Honda SL125
Suz TS250
Honda XL350
Suz GT550
Yam RD400
Suz TS185
Suz GS550
Suz GS850G
Suz GSX1100
Honda CX500
Honda XLX250R
FJ1200 3CV, current
FJR1300
BMWR1200RT curre

Rustyas

Guys,

Just had a thought :unknown:

I haven't mention the fact that the bike uses oil in a big way, probably a litre of 15/50 per 1000klms.

Trouble is it doesn't blow smoke, any smoke at all.

I am assuming the rough running is due to it running very rich and I'm going to look at the jetting. The spark plugs are all covered in thick black carbon

BUT could the oil be burning and depositing on the plugs causing the thing run rough?   :wacko3:

Should I pull it down and replace the rings?

Or should I just burn it???? :bomb:

Harvy

Could certainly be the cause of the rough running due to the plugs being fouled - sounds to me like new rings at the very least are in order - that is a lot of oil being burned.

Harvy
FJZ1 1200 - It'll do me just fine.
Timing has much to do with the success of a rain dance.

Pat Conlon

Have you done a warm compression test to see what you got?
High mileage FJ's use oil....and they still run, seemingly forever. You could be loading up your plugs with oil from leaking piston rings....or you may just need to clean out your pilot jets, jet nozzles and idle circuit.

Which would *you* do first?    
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

poker007

Do you know when the last Valve Adjustment was done on your FJ  :mail1:? :scratch_one-s_head:
1980 GT80( dirt) gone 1979 IT250  ( have)
1975 MX400(dirt) gone
1979 RD400 gone
1980 KZ1000st/ shattered right arm/ (ouch) gone thank GOD!
1995 FZR600 ( missed @gone)
1985 FJ1100 (TEL DEATH; DO WE PART)

Bminder

I agree with Pat.
Here was my experience with my '92 that had been sitting for 3 plus years:
Randy cleaned the carbs, I tried to clean the tank.
Ran ok when cold, but as it warmed up it ran poorly under 2500 rpms or so, and would not idle very long. Above 2500 it ran great.
Cleaned the pilot jets mulitple times because they were still getting plugged from residual crap in the tank.
Randy sent me new pilot jets the next size up.
Still did not want to idle very long and Randy diagnosed that the cams were out of time.
Put the cams back in time.
Runs like a champ... almost. Might need to play with the idle mix screws a little. It chugs sometimes at steady low rpms.
Billy Minder
92 FJ1200 ABS

Rustyas

Hey all, sorry for the delay, but other than stuffing around :dash2: trying a few things  :ireful:there was not much to report.........Until now.

It finally got the better of me, I decided to start at the beginning and work my way through.

My plan was to remove carbs look at the jets and sizes etc and also pull it down and replace the rings. Between myself and my brother in law we reckoned we could have it disassembled in two nights, purchase parts required and re assembled in two nights, allowing for delays we reckoned we could get it done over a period of one weekend, five week nights and then another weekend.

Bugger me if when I open the air box, I found the air filter laying in the bottom of it, not up in place where it should be. Closer inspection showed the rubbers between the carbs and the barrels were not on  on the bottom and there was no seal at all

So where I thought the bike was running rich ( as the plugs were blackend and all carboned up )  it would appear it was running lean! :wacko3:

All of a sudden it made sense: motor running hot, idling at high revs, lack of power down low. missing and coughing at low revs..... had to be due to running lean

I fixed the air cleaner, "manufactured" a wedge to hold it in place ( clips were missing), spent hours trying to get the rubbers to seal

finally got it all together and it works!!! :yahoo:

Where as before it was 2/10 - 4/10 on a good day it is now 7-8/10. still has some minor down low issues, but for now good enough to enjoy the ride.

Thanks for all the help fella's. I"ll keep you posted

novaraptor

:yahoo: Gotta love it when it's the simpler things.. Good scootin' to ya!
1990 FJ1200
Ride fast, live free... I forget the rest...

movenon

In trouble shooting, "take nothing for granted" always start with the simple stuff first and put things into spec.. Glad it was a no expense fix.  :good2:
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

oldktmdude

So, where is all that oil going?    :unknown:
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

Rustyas

Quote from: oldktmdude on December 16, 2013, 04:02:48 PM
 So, where is all that oil going?    :unknown:

Good question :scratch_one-s_head: I'm assuming that due to the motor running hot, recent rebuild etc it just was burning it at a higher than normal rate. I was adding about 1 Litre about three times a fortnight.

Since I "fixed" it seems to have slowed the usage dramatically. I can see by the sight glass that it is dropping but no where near as much as before. The bike does about 250-450 Klms per week, depending on work. so I figure if I need to top up once a month that would be OK

fintip

Sounds like a botched rebuild to me... I'm no expert, but I've had a rebuilt bike engine before done right. No oil burning issues. I've also worked with a guy who did his own rebuild, his first one--it wasn't a flawless job, and it burned oil.

Cross your fingers. Also, post some pictures of your plugs. Also, maybe some basic spray adhesive from a fabric store might help you get a really decent seal on your air filter, without being a permanent fixture.

How many miles on the bike since the rebuild?
fjowners.wikidot.com

Not everyone understands what a completely rational process this maintenance of a motorcycle is. They think it's some kind of a knack or some kind of affinity for machines in operation. They are right, but the knack is almost purely a process of reason.
-ZAMM

IBA:54952

Rustyas

Seems I have developed an oil leak :dash1:  :dash2:

How do I post pics here? :unknown:

Harvy

Quote from: Rustyas on December 19, 2013, 06:43:01 PM
Seems I have developed an oil leak :dash1:  :dash2:

How do I post pics here? :unknown:

When you want to add a pic to a post, first the pic has to be hosted on the web somewhere (not just on your pc).

Then you use the image button:

and post the link to the hosted image between the img and /img with the brackets around those 2 codes. The above was done like this:

[img]http://fjowners.com/gallery/6/22_19_12_13_7_03_08.png[/img]

Harvy
FJZ1 1200 - It'll do me just fine.
Timing has much to do with the success of a rain dance.