News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

I have the K&n pods...

Started by thuber3040, October 10, 2009, 07:21:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thuber3040

I have read some of the anti K&n comments, but how would it be if I add the uni outers over them, uni sells them just for that purpose now. or should I just go with uni's all the way, and what size to order since they don't show a kit, just individuals and pick your size.
Or just get a uni for the airbox? (as soon as I can get a lid and the little bits that go with the lid)

I have the K&N for the stock box and also a full set of pods and crank filter
1985 FJ1100 Finally Home
1984 FJ1100 New purchase
1978 KZ1327
1973 H2

racerman_27410

the uni dual pod filters are cheap enough.... about 25 bucks each (need two of them)

part number DP3229 "dual throat" and you can order them direct from uni (my local dealer didnt even have them in the catalog) 

http://unifilter.com/online%20catalog/universal.html

they make getting the carbs out and in a non issue and if you clean the sealing lip thoroughly they wont fall off like the KN pod filters will (the outboard ones)

Kookaloo!

Frank

andyb

The K&N's will stay on pretty well if you replace the hose clamps with a 1/2" wide clamp, and clean the carb decently before you try putting them on.

That being said, the UNI are definitely the way to go.  No power difference that I could see (back to back runs at the dragstrip).  I went with individual UNI's instead of the dual throat ones because they were easier to get.  Only downside is that they're a little messy, but that's a non-issue unless you're taking stuff apart frequently.

As far as adding the overfilter socks to K&N's, I don't see why it wouldn't work, though a prefilter will not be as fine as their regular material, so some silt will get through.  May as well just jump for the whole shebang and just swap over completely if you're going to spend the money.

racerrad8

Quote from: racerman_27410 on October 10, 2009, 01:07:53 PM
the uni dual pod filters are cheap enough.... about 25 bucks each (need two of them)

part number DP3229 "dual throat" and you can order them direct from uni (my local dealer didnt even have them in the catalog)  

Kookaloo!

Frank

I have UNI dual pods air filters in stock. They are $24.99 ea. I also have in stock the breather filter that fits directly on to factory breather hose. I keep these filters in stock for you guys and I would be happy to send them anywhere in the world.

The UNI filters are a better application than the K&N filter for one simple reason. Valve overlap and fuel mist washing the oil out of the K&N filter.

The overlap of the FJ engine generates a mist of fuel spraying out of the carbs. This mist then hits the rigid endplate of the K&N filter and the fuel runs down to the bottom. The fuel then dissolves the oil from the filter, making it useless. The cotton media of the K&N filter prior to oiling has a large mesh. The oil is designed to make the cotton expand to trap dirt particles. If the oil is flushed away, the cotton will allow the dirt to pass through.

The UNI filter media has a dual foam design and the fuel cannot penetrate the filter completely allowing the oil on the outer surface of the filter to trap all of the dirt. I believe the single UNI filters are of a single foam design and they must be maintain more frequently.

I build a lot of carbs every year and the dirtiest carbs have K&N filters. I just rebuilt a set for Chris Murphy, and even he was surprised how dirty his carbs were. I believe he was using the K&N cartridge filter for the airbox, but there was a large build up of dirt on the throat of the carbs.

Here is the page that lists some of the other items I have for the FJ Engine & Carbs; http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=69.0

Please let me know if I can be of assistance,

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM