News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

85 FJ1100 refurbishment/custom

Started by Joe Sull, October 15, 2013, 06:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Sull

This is the last time we'll see this bike look like she does here. I got started taking it apart today. That foolish airbox was broken anyway. The nut boss on top was broken clean off and someone put electrical tape to seal it.
I got some ideas for the color. Dark metal flake gray or carbon fiber wrap. Frame color of yamaha racing yellow. I'll polish all the aluminum.
I'm going to rebuild the carbs and go over everything else. I really want a 4 into one exaust system but there tough to find or to much money for what I want. I don't like the look of the black headers and the aluminum cans. Ebay has that stuff reasonably priced but I want the crome megaphone type. Maybe as time goes on I'll find something.

I'll post pics as I go ahead with my project
You Keep What you kill

aviationfred

I am sure there will be a few members that may be interested in the F1R mufflers. Here is a photo of the New RPM 4-2-1 exhaust with the Carbon Fiber muffler.

This may give you another idea on how to go with the paint job. I just picked up an 87' about a month ago. It was already painted Satin Black. I thought all black was a bit much. I found a complete 89' graphics set and put the graphics on.

I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Alf

Quote from: Joe Sull on October 15, 2013, 06:05:48 PM
I don't like the look of the black headers and the aluminum cans. Ebay has that stuff reasonably priced but I want the crome megaphone type. Maybe as time goes on I'll find something.

I'll post pics as I go ahead with my project

Please please please please  :flag_of_truce: :flag_of_truce: :flag_of_truce: :flag_of_truce: :flag_of_truce: advice me if you want to sell the cans

ribbert

"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Joe Sull

AvationFred, Your bike looks very good with the decals, in my opinion but as you said all black is to much. If there was a lot of black crome it might be more tastefull. The decals make a Big difference. The satin black is kind of charcoal gray. I would probably do better to do a 2 tone and break up the solid color. Metal flake would help too. I can't find the 421 headers you mentioned on the RPM. I looked under a couple of catagories including "exaust".

Ribbert, Thats some nice crome right there buddy. Reminds me of a doctored up picture of a woman I saw once.

I'm working on removing the fairing and not doing to good. I got the head cooling cowls out bit can't see what bolts are holding it. I've tried searching and nothing yet. I need a manual.
You Keep What you kill

aviationfred

The RPM exhaust is not available yet. The photo is a test article that has over 7000 miles on it. The pipe should be released for sale very soon.

The fairing is like a jigsaw puzzle. Remove the fuel tank, the inner black fairing pieces that are between the tank and the main fairing, remove the instrument shroud and you should be able to get to the main fairing attachment bolts.

Fred

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2

racerrad8

As Fred already mentioned the exhaust is in the final stage and the final design bike was returned today so the system should be ready in a few weeks.

Also, I will be offering a megaphone style muffler as well.

Look for a post in the next few weeks.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

ribbert

Quote from: Joe Sull on October 16, 2013, 03:57:06 PM

I'm working on removing the fairing and not doing to good. I got the head cooling cowls out bit can't see what bolts are holding it. I've tried searching and nothing yet. I need a manual.

The procedure in the manual is unnecessarily difficult and lengthy. It describes removing the fairing from the subframe. It also puts the now brittle plastic mounting tabs on the fairing at risk.

Try removing these bolts and taking the whole assembly off. Much cleaner and quicker. Instruments, headlight, screen all come off together. !5 min job.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

markmartin

Joe, I'm going by memory here hopefully others will make corrections, but this will get you started

*You got the side scoops off. good.
*Remove the seat (no kidding)
*Remove the 2 plastic side panels under the seat - one on each side - careful the bottoms need to be pulled UP then out-
*Remove the gas tank (still not kidding)
* Remove the mirrors
*Remove the wind shield (this will expose two major bolts that are holding the fairing in place)
*Remove the choke knob and little cover around the choke
*Remove all the screws that hold the inner fairings in place (this is a little fuzzy for me...someone confirm this? )
*Then, there are two bolts, one on each side of the headlight that hold the fairing in place. Using a (3/8") ratchet and a 8"?       extension and I think a 10mm ? socket,  reach in on each side from where your gas tank was, to the side of the headlight assembly and you should find those bolts.  You can put your head down where your tank was and see the bolts,( a flashlight helps here)  or you can reach in and feel the bolts,  but not both at the same time.  Anyway, remove those bolts.
*Remove the two bolts, one on each side, that were exposed when you removed the side scoops.

Uuhhh...I think you'll have fairing off.  If not your damn close anyway.

I've heard it mentioned that the headlight will fall out if not supported when removing the fairing.  this has never been the case for me.  I've got an '89.

the inner fairing pieces come off before the fairing comes off, but if memory serves, I think  I leave the left one in because it's easier..

Hope this helps.

Mark M

markmartin

I just saw ribbert's post.  His way sounds easier! Either way, it will give you a great chance to check out the integrity of your fairing from the inside.  It's not uncommon for them to have a few cracks that need repair.  You'll be glad you did next spring!  You've got a good project started.  Carry on!

Joe Sull

Thanks Fred, I'll look at it that way tomorrow. I was looking at the yamaha racing colors for my frame. The Yellow one or the blue one. Yellow faster! Blue looks like laser blue. The yellow is deeper than I was imagining. I guess I had suzuki rm yellow in my head but the deeper yamaha yellow will look better.
Thanks Randy, I'll be watching for it to come out. I've read that the 4/1 that will fit the FJ restrict access to the oil drain plug. This should be interesting.

AHA I just saw the two last post as I was typing. Thank you guys. I got it. I'll be able to get her off tomorrow.  :dash1:
You Keep What you kill

aviationfred

The RPM exhaust will allow for access to the drain plug without removal of the exhaust.  :good2:

Fred

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2

movenon

Quote from: markmartin on October 16, 2013, 05:50:13 PM

Joe, I'm going by memory here hopefully others will make corrections, but this will get you started

*You got the side scoops off. good.
*Remove the seat (no kidding)
*Remove the 2 plastic side panels under the seat - one on each side - careful the bottoms need to be pulled UP then out-
*Remove the gas tank (still not kidding)
* Remove the mirrors
*Remove the wind shield (this will expose two major bolts that are holding the fairing in place)
*Remove the choke knob and little cover around the choke
*Remove all the screws that hold the inner fairings in place (this is a little fuzzy for me...someone confirm this? )
*Then, there are two bolts, one on each side of the headlight that hold the fairing in place. Using a (3/8") ratchet and a 8"?       extension and I think a 10mm ? socket,  reach in on each side from where your gas tank was, to the side of the headlight assembly and you should find those bolts.  You can put your head down where your tank was and see the bolts,( a flashlight helps here)  or you can reach in and feel the bolts,  but not both at the same time.  Anyway, remove those bolts.
*Remove the two bolts, one on each side, that were exposed when you removed the side scoops.

Uuhhh...I think you'll have fairing off.  If not your damn close anyway.

I've heard it mentioned that the headlight will fall out if not supported when removing the fairing.  this has never been the case for me.  I've got an '89.

the inner fairing pieces come off before the fairing comes off, but if memory serves, I think  I leave the left one in because it's easier..

Hope this helps.

Mark M

That's the way  :good2: :good2:. Easy after you do it once.

The 4 main bolts are 12mm
Also unhook the speedometer cable down at the front wheel.

And as Mark noted make sure you undo the JIS / Philips head screws under the windscreen.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

oldktmdude

Joe, with all due respect to the others that have commented on fairing removal, disregard everything they have said. They are talking about removing a fairing from later model bikes, not an '84 or '85 which are totally different.
   You have already removed the air scoops, so there are 2 bolts directly under the headlight, there are 2 more under the bottom fairing protectors (1 each side). The protector needs to be removed first. These are held on by 4 small plastic tabs, so you have to carefully prize them off with a flat blade screwdriver or similar tool. There are 2 remaining screws on the inside panels, 1 above the fuse panel and 1 directly opposite, on the righthand side. Disconnect the speedo cable from the front wheel or slide fairing forward a small amount and undo at the speedo end. Wiring plugs for headlight and instrument panel should also be unplugged at this point. Pull fairing forward until it clears everything and it's done.
   This all sound like a lot of work but it can be done in about 10 minutes (with a bit of practice) Hope this helps. As you may have guessed, my fairing has been removed many times.  :biggrin:  Regards, Pete. 
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

Joe Sull

Thanks to everyone for your help. I got the fairing off fine. I have 7 months part time to accomplish my project. As I sit looking at the bare bike I'm wonder if getting the frame painted is to much. How many hours do you thing it would take to strip the frame, paint it and reassemble?  I'm sure some of you have done it before.

I Need your opinion on this discoloration of the #1 head area. I noticed it a couple of days after I got the bike.

This pinkish color is worrying me a little. It comes off easily with a wire brush. I think it might be something that was sprayed on like a lube that baked.

Heres going around to the front

Heres the back

And the top

You Keep What you kill