News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

85 FJ1100 refurbishment/custom

Started by Joe Sull, October 15, 2013, 06:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Sull

When I cleaned the needle seats the first time. I had to clamp on them with plyers to get them out, I used Pats method and stuck the shank of a drill in the seat and clamped against that. The seat measured .209 inside. The shank measured .207
At least 2 of them were out of round. I looked at the needles with a glass and they look ok, but I put the seats back in the way the were.
Today I'll take them out and work them back round best I can and polish the inside then try to find some orings that will work.
You Keep What you kill

Arnie

Randy, rpmracingca.com, has the right O-rings.

IIRC when Dr. David Raforth put together the carb cap screw and O-ring kit (many years ago) these properly sized O-rings were a bit difficult to obtain. 
I think they are 9mmOD x 2mm Xsection, but I could be very wrong.

Arnie

Joe Sull

I got it :biggrin: It took a couple of hours to work the seats round again. I cut q-tips in half, mounted them in a high speed drill, I dipped them in dremmel polishing compound and polished the insides of the seats. I made sure the needles worked smooth. Mounted them and put the gas to them. No leaking at all! NO oil leaks either.

It running lean for sure. I assembled the carbs like the tutorial, 2 1/2 turns out on the needle jet. I should open that up to 4 ?
I bench sync'd them, Ill be making one of those $5 sync tools. It is running off choke but it took a while. I won't be running the intake box anymore, probably get some cheap singles so I need all the gas I can get. I have the 37.5 jets in till I can change them out. The gas I used came out of my generator and didn't look that good be the best thing is it didn't leak.

I got a video and uploaded to utube.

running fj

She warmed up and it baked some paint. The exhaust turned darker and I like the color. I can see where it needs some extra paint. I got a full can to do that. I'm happy, It's running.
You Keep What you kill

andyb

Quote from: Arnie on February 16, 2014, 07:50:47 AM
IIRC when Dr. David Raforth put together the carb cap screw and O-ring kit (many years ago) these properly sized O-rings were a bit difficult to obtain. 

And here's what he says about them.

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=1391.0

Arnie

Thanks Andyb for correcting my failing memory on the sizing. :-)

movenon

Quote from: andyb on February 16, 2014, 01:45:07 PM
Quote from: Arnie on February 16, 2014, 07:50:47 AM

And here's what he says about them.

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=1391.0

Here's the ones I bought http://www.oringsandmore.com/viton-oring-7-1-x-1-6mm-price-for-25-pcs/  I could probably find 4 to send you  :drinks:
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

Joe Sull

Still waiting for my paint job. I had time to get the bottom of the tank prep'd. Wasn't going to bother with the bottom because of trying to reglue the heat shield back on but I guess I'll try contact cement. I got my petcock all ready. Epoxyed the elbow in and cleaned the inside. Everything looks good. I can pull a slight amount of air by causing a suction on the vacumm tube but very little. I wired it up and ready to bolt in.

Just waiting for my son to get his bike painted. (popcorn)
You Keep What you kill

keand3

Quote from: Joe Sull on February 20, 2014, 03:58:08 PM
Still waiting for my paint job. I had time to get the bottom of the tank prep'd. Wasn't going to bother with the bottom because of trying to reglue the heat shield back on but I guess I'll try contact cement. I got my petcock all ready.

Man, you really do go all the way out, don't you? Doing red underneath the tank as well!?! Cudos to you man, cudos....  :good:

I to need to reglue my heatsheild... After my fuel leak had been laying a couple of days I guess the fumes must have dissolved the old clue.. Everything could just peel off...
I will not be painting it blue underneath though  :biggrin:

Cheers

Ken
Whant to check out my photos on the bike??
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=828DDEC8DF631CA5%21103

rktmanfj

Quote from: keand3 on February 21, 2014, 12:22:40 PM
I will not be painting it blue underneath though  :biggrin:

Leaving it red as a tribute to Joe's bike, then?  

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

keand3

Quote from: keand3 on February 21, 2014, 12:22:40 PM
Quote from: Joe Sull on February 20, 2014, 03:58:08 PM
I will not be painting it blue underneath though  :biggrin:

Leaving it red as a tribute to Joe's bike, then?  

Yes! It's worth it!  :yahoo: :rofl:

Joe Sull

You can see my bike was red in the begining. Now it's red all over, more than anywhere else. :biggrin: Red is'nt really my favorite color it's just that theres so much beauty in the engine area and it was covered with black. I came very close to doing the whole thing with the metalcast green and the body candy apple green.
I no one thing though - I gotta keep you guys guess'n :lol:
You Keep What you kill

keand3

X-Ray

Quote from: Joe Sull on January 13, 2014, 04:14:42 PM

Three hours masking

Ready for clearcoat tomorrow.

How did you prep the wheels Joe? I'm thinking of doing something similar with mine after the Australian Rally. Was thinking of powdercoating, but I'm thinking now either the Metalcast or the VHT Anodized spray paint in Candy Blue might be worth a go. Are you happy with your results? Looks great to me,

Regards
Ray
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

ribbert

Quote from: X-Ray on February 24, 2014, 12:13:13 AM

How did you prep the wheels Joe? I'm thinking of doing something similar with mine after the Australian Rally. Was thinking of powdercoating, but I'm thinking now either the Metalcast or the VHT Anodized spray paint in Candy Blue might be worth a go. Are you happy with your results? Looks great to me,

Regards
Ray

I'm a big fan of this product Ray. It's a polyurethane paint. Doesn't chip. I painted my underslung caliper with it a couple of years ago and that gets a lot of crap bouncing off it being so low. You can see tiny dents where stones have hit but no chips. I think it comes in a good range of colours too, or, it is available in clear to protect any paint or colour you like.
This particular colour is also a perfect match for the original frame silver. Good for the down tubes at the front that seem to get a lot of chips.

I guess that's why it's wheel paint.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

movenon

Quote from: ribbert on February 24, 2014, 08:27:55 AM
Quote from: X-Ray on February 24, 2014, 12:13:13 AM

Regards
Ray

I'm a big fan of this product Ray. It's a polyurethane paint. Doesn't chip. I painted my underslung caliper with it a couple of years ago and that gets a lot of crap bouncing off it being so low. You can see tiny dents where stones have hit but no chips. I think it comes in a good range of colours too, or, it is available in clear to protect any paint or colour you like.
This particular colour is also a perfect match for the original frame silver. Good for the down tubes at the front that seem to get a lot of chips.

I guess that's why it's wheel paint.

Noel

After keeping an eye out for that Ford Argent Silver for sometime now,  yesterday at a new Autozone store there it was on the shelf !  So I bought a can for some touch up. 

Another product to consider is ACF-50.  It is popular with the FJ riders across the pond.  I haven't tried the product so I am not of any help there.  If you live in a high humidity or coastal area / wet area it might be something to consider.  The link below is a spec sheet.  Type in ACF-50 in your search engine to locate retailers. 

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pdf/ACF-50-BROCHURE.pdf

George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200