News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

85 FJ1100 refurbishment/custom

Started by Joe Sull, October 15, 2013, 06:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Sull

Ray, Lot of work buddy. I have so many hours into those rims, I'm thinking of having them cremated with me. I started by stripping them with aircraft remover. The paint just doesn't bubble up. It softens it to a point that a wire wheel will take it off. The wire wheels that chuck in a drill work for the open areas but I had to use some dremmel wire wheels to get the small spots. The trick with the little ones is not to use high speed. I was chucking them in my drill and that worked. My dremmel has one speed-on 13000 rpm and those little wheels won't take to much of that without shooting wire all over. My wife is still still pulling pieces of wire out of her feet from me tracking the in the house. :crazy:
After you get the paint off, The sanding starts. The dremmel sanding drums work best. I used my buzz grinder a lot with the #120 discs. I have a ace hardware attachment to mount them. I cut half the diameter off to knock down the rpm's and It fits better. I took off the cast lettering, you know, the tire size and that stuff. In the tiny corners, I used a dremmel stone that I buy for sharpening my chain saw. Then I hand sanded with #100, I finished with #220. I plan on going to #600 next winter and polishing them, I guess.

I'm happy with the way they look but time will tell if it's going to hold up. I coated them with a lot of clear coat. I gut 2 heavy, almost dripping coats on them. I probably should have done 3 or 4. Good luck! I'd say that I've got at least 50 hour into each one.
You Keep What you kill

Joe Sull

I got a little to post this week. Still waiting for my son to finish his project. He's got his Harley painted, assembled and getting the wiring back on. The top end is done and ready to be picked up. He's looking at finishing early next week.

My grand daughter made me a keychain. "Grampy, what color do you want it" Ah...Red?

Got new uni-pod from RPM. Man, those thing look like they belong there. Very pleasing to the eye. "eye candy" is that right?
The little wire  fuel line hose clamp tang thingys kind of interfere with the filter flange. I'll turn them around or replace them with something
more trustworthy.

Hung the seat on for giggles.

I installed the new master link and I wish that I had assembled it before hand. The clip doesn't look like other pics of a properly installed clip.
For the third time, I've tried to sink the clip into the groove and it doesn't seem like it's going in any further.
I saw a thread and pics of a safety wired clip and I'll do that when I find some proper st st wire.

Does the clip look right? It's a EK 530 SRO-z master link

Well, it's still cold as can be here. -2 this morning. It's going to warm a little this weekend and then drop again.
Hatefull :diablo:
You Keep What you kill

fj1289

Pretty sure you can get the UNI filters in RED too!   :sarcastic:

Awesome job staying true to the theme

rktmanfj

Quote from: fj1289 on March 05, 2014, 04:59:25 PM
Pretty sure you can get the UNI filters in RED too!   :sarcastic:

Awesome job staying true to the theme

Yes.       :mocking:

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

Joe Sull

I'm gonna bleed out a chicken and blow smoke on it chanting "FJ1289 Not at Lib" :wacko2: and put a voodoo hex on you two.

:hang1: :hang1:
You Keep What you kill

A11an0n

Make sure the rounded edge of the clip (one side will be rounded the other sharp) is against the chain side.  Personally I have never really trusted master link clips and prefer to go with the 'peen on' style.
1986 FJ1200
2007 Yamaha WR250F

Joe Sull

Thanks Allan, I'll take a look. Worked on carbs today.
You Keep What you kill

keand3

Red red wiiiiinnneeee...... or something by UB40  :good2:
Whant to check out my photos on the bike??
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=828DDEC8DF631CA5%21103

Joe Sull

Pushed the bike up front, on the pavement and it just melted the snow and dried it right off. :biggrin:
Saturated her with polymer. Put a sprayer nozzle on the bottle and she was dripping wet, then I wiped it down.

Rolled her back in the shop and put a fresh battery in, set up the fuel funnel and started it. Ran it till no more paint
smoked. she was pretty hot. The engine don't burn any smoke at all, I'm happy to say.
I used my fancy new home made sync tool and sync'd the carbs. The top end is very quiet, no tapping or noises of any kind.

She ready. I gotta get my stuff painted :sorry:
You Keep What you kill

rlucas

Behold!!!! The "FJucati" (pronounced 'fyooocati)!!!

If a stock-colors '86 is an ambulance, is this a fire truck?

Rossi
We're not a club. Clubs have rules. Pay dues. Wear hats and shit.

"Y'all might be faster than me, but you didn't have more fun than I did." Eric McClellan (RIP '15)

Joe Sull

Is that how you say "Cherry Bomb" in French?  Cause that what we got here.

...............................................CHERRY BOMB!....................................................
...............................................CHERRY BOMB!....................................................
You Keep What you kill

FJmonkey

Quote from: Joe Sull on March 04, 2014, 12:36:56 PM
Does the clip look right? It's a EK 530 SRO-z master link

The side plate needs to be compressed a little more for the clip to drop in. I used master links till last year and to get the clip on I used a compression tool to set the side plate. Looks kind of like this:

master link press tool
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Joe Sull

Thanks Monkey, nother tool I can't afford :lol: You buy a chain that uses clip style master links to get away from buying a swaging tool but you end up having to buy a tool to compress a clip master :wacko3:
It doesn't look completely down compared to some pics I've seen with the two inside edges of the clip touching and that would make the clip in a relaxed state. I'll try again!
You Keep What you kill

FJmonkey

You seem handy with tools, needle nose vise-grips will work in a pinch. Just make sure the jaw is on the pin on the back side and the other jaw is on the plate. This makes sure that only the plate you want to move is the one moving.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Joe Sull

You Keep What you kill