News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

85 FJ1100 refurbishment/custom

Started by Joe Sull, October 15, 2013, 06:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Sull

I emptied the gas tank so I could turn it over and look at the petcock. The luel line elbow fell off at a good time and I avoided disaster. Was this pressed/ epoxyed in? Wierd!

Got some more frame off and was working on the engine mounts when I was stopped with this allen screw shaft thing. How does it work? I put some force on it ccw and it does'nt budge. I tried cw just because, and I get nothing.
You Keep What you kill

big r

That is common maladay of the fj. There is a post on the site somewhere on how to fix this. You have to safety wire spigot to the valve. Randy also sells new petcocks that are already wired and ready to go. Big R

movenon

Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

Joe Sull

Thanks for the replies. I mite do the repair a little different by drill and tap #4 thru one wall and some pematex or locktite in the threads. I saw that safety thread title and ment to bookmark it but did'nt. I
tried searching for it with on results. I can guess that the elbow is'nt threaded because the vacum port would interfere. They should have both been threaded.

About the rear engine mount that I pictured above? Anybody?
You Keep What you kill

FJmonkey

Try an impact driver/rattle gun on it. Bet it has not moved in 20 years. I doubt it has LH threads, it is just stuck.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

ribbert

Quote from: Joe Sull on October 19, 2013, 10:56:33 AM

Got some more frame off and was working on the engine mounts when I was stopped with this allen screw shaft thing. How does it work? I put some force on it ccw and it does'nt budge. I tried cw just because, and I get nothing.

The job at hand aside, you should be using the allen key the other way round. As shown, much of the force you apply is lost in the springiness of the shaft. You minimise this by using the short end.
Those sort of keys are not much use on tight bolts anyway, they are difficult to press into the head while turning and even more difficult to keep straight when applying force.

A set of these, they are not expensive, are a great asset in the garage. They are 1/2" drive and can be used with all your socket accessories (including long bar) and even power tools with virtually no loss of force due to twisting. They can also be belted in with a hammer to ensure a good seat before turning.

Allen heads often fill with crud and one of the problems people have is tying to loosen one with the tool only half way in. This makes them more inclined to strip and difficult to keep straight. Make sure the head is clean so the tool can seat full depth.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

racerrad8

Joe,

I can't tell, is that wrench an 8 or 10mm?

If it is the 8mm that is the head of the bolt, if it is the 10mm it is the nut.

You need to be using the 10mm and turning CCW to remove the nut. The bolt could be corroded into the hole and will not let let you turn it.

But, you will need to be able to apply more torque to get it loose that the short side of that wrench like Noel mentioned.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Joe Sull

I had my wife get me a set of the allen for the 3/8" drive at wally world. They did'nt have the 1/2" drive. I tried it and it's too short to reach in. I need about 3" length. It's the 10 mm side showing. I looked in the other side with a flashlight and saw a feature that looked round but it could have been 8 mm and I did'nt see the hex.
I've got to travel this week coming up for work and I won't be able to work on the bike till next saturday. When I bet home I'll cut off a 3" piece of that allen and use a 10mm socket over that. I spray penitrating oil on it and will sitting for a week. I'm taking my computer with me so I can keep in touch.
You Keep What you kill

racerrad8

For the sockets I have I just use an extension with a ratchet and that allows the socket to fit within the frame.

This is what I used earlier today to bolt Pat's engine into the frame.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

aviationfred

I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Capn Ron

Quote from: ribbert on October 19, 2013, 06:40:07 PM
A set of these, they are not expensive, are a great asset in the garage. They are 1/2" drive and can be used with all your socket accessories (including long bar) and even power tools with virtually no loss of force due to twisting. They can also be belted in with a hammer to ensure a good seat before turning.

Noel

I have, on occasion made one of these by cutting off the long end of an allen key and inserting it into the appropriate size 6-point socket.  To Noel's point, I make it only the length needed to seat properly (no longer) to minimize the twisting loss.

Cap'n Ron. . .
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.

ribbert

Quote from: Capn Ron on October 21, 2013, 12:55:16 AM
Quote from: ribbert on October 19, 2013, 06:40:07 PM

Noel

I have, on occasion made one of these by cutting off the long end of an allen key and inserting it into the appropriate size 6-point socket.  To Noel's point, I make it only the length needed to seat properly (no longer) to minimize the twisting loss.

Cap'n Ron. . .

Some years back I was the victim of a tool theft. After a protracted and unsuccessful insurance claim ( who woulda' thought!) on a technicality, I was forced to replace a lot of my quality tools with cheap stuff to tide me over.
It has never ceased to amaze me the good service most of those have provided, even with regular use.

For example, I bought a box of those 1/2" drive allen keys for under $20. They have seen a lot of use, even on air tools, and remain as good as the day I bought them.
It also allows you to justify more tools that won't necessarily see a lot of use if you haven't paid much for them.

You need to know what you can get away with buying cheap, but crap tools are way better than they used to be, but if it doesn't do the job it's straight in the bin, but there haven't been many of those.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

jscgdunn

Hi Randy,
When working on Pat's bike, are welding goggles required, or will sunglasses work ok?

Thx,

Jeff
92 FJ1200 2008 ZX14 Forks, wheels, 2008 cbr 600 RR swingarm
92 FJ1200 2009 R1 Swinger, Forks, Wheels, 2013 CBR 1000 Shock
90 FJ 1200 (Son # 2), Stock
89 FJ 1200 Built from parts: (Brother bought it) mostly 92 parts inc. motor
84 FJ 1100 (Son #1), 89 forks wheels, blue spots

racerrad8

Quote from: jscgdunn on October 21, 2013, 01:02:02 PM
Hi Randy,
When working on Pat's bike, are welding goggles required, or will sunglasses work ok?

Thx,

Jeff
Well, by looking at the picture below, you can see that I do have to keep the doors closed and I had to have the bottom windows tinted to block the sun so the reflection would not burn out my retinas.

So far, that has worked well for me.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Dan Filetti

Quote from: racerrad8 on October 20, 2013, 06:22:16 PM

This is what I used earlier today to bolt Pat's engine into the frame.

Why, on god's green earth, was Pat's engine out of the bike?

Dan
Live hardy, or go home.