News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

New guy, long time FJ1200 owner.

Started by Jonfife, October 18, 2013, 06:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonfife

Howdy all, know many of you through Facebook and YouTube. Not sure what took me so long to join. Excellent forum and have gleaned many a useful tips here. I own a 1993 Yamaha FJ1200ABS since 2000, near 60K. 12,000 when I bought it. Pictures are over at the Facebook FJ1200 & FJ1100 lateral frame site. (easier to post there). Upgrades are, Hepco Becker panniers, R1 calipers, stainless steel brake lines, and wave rotors. VFR mirrors, RPM oil adaptor, MRA windscreen and flip screen. Never a problem with this bike. NO 2nd gear issues, no nothing. That's why I call it warhorse. I am starting to have the fuel needle bounce. Have seen the fix listed here. Talked with Randy/RPM & some risk involved if you get the 'fix' wrong, i.e. ruined fuel gauge. Also just installed a self canceling turn signal unit. Reviews to come. I have a YouTube channel and here are some How To videos for VFR mirror install - Yamaha FJ1200 rear view mirror upgrade-How to install Honda CBR mirrors on Yamaha FJ1200 & RPM oil adaptor install - Yamaha FJ1100 & 1200 easy install oil filter spin on adapter easy to install  Also own two 1983 Yamaha XJ900's. Both were fully restored by me and engineered to accept the 1982 Yamaha Turbo Seca XJ650 fairings.  All the best, Jon

aviationfred

Welcome Jon.  :hi:

I have seen your posts on facebook often. Glad you found your way here. The easiest way I have found to post photos here is off of Photobucket. Copy and Paste the IMG file and you are all set.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

FJmonkey

Welcome you tube publishing dude... When can you make an FJ rally?
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Bminder

What's the name of the Facebook page?
Billy Minder
92 FJ1200 ABS

aviationfred

I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

movenon

Welcome ! What part of the country are you in ?
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

Jonfife

Quote from: FJmonkey on October 18, 2013, 07:45:31 PM
Welcome you tube publishing dude... When can you make an FJ rally?

FJmonkey, would love to come to rally, but I'm in the maritime business in Seattle and hard to get away during cruise ship season (summer months). When is next rally and where? Also some history on kookalackaloo would be great for us newbies. Not sure what it means, where it came from, or if some crazed Aussy, drinking way to much Root Beer use it as a term for modifying FJ's or XJ's. Please enlighten.  JF

Jonfife

Quote from: movenon on October 18, 2013, 10:10:05 PM
Welcome ! What part of the country are you in ?
George
[/quote

Hi George, Seattle, WA

Pat Conlon

Welcome Jon, glad to have you with us...My son, Jason is in lives in Everett and is a union Ironworker, one of those crazy fucks walking the red iron in downtown Seattle...don't know how he does it in the rain and all...amazing considering that he was born and raised in Palm Desert...go figure....anyhoo...
A couple of videos I've always wanted to put together for our members,
1) valve adjustment
2) carb syncing and
3) carb cleaning and rebuilding
4) rebuilding the clutch slave

Re: West Coast FJ Rally for 2014..... Last I heard it was planned for Willits, Calif. the weekend after Memorial Day. Willits is 3 hours, or so, south of you along the 101. We have had several FJ rallies there in the past and they have always been well received.

Re: Kookaloo....the answer is out there, you are just gonna have to hunt for it....think of it like some sort of initatition....there will be a pop quiz at the time of your next posting.  Cheers and again, welcome. Pat
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Jonfife

Quote from: Pat Conlon on October 19, 2013, 12:07:20 AM
Welcome Jon, glad to have you with us...My son, Jason is in lives in Everett and is a union Ironworker, one of those crazy fucks walking the red iron in downtown Seattle...don't know how he does it in the rain and all...amazing considering that he was born and raised in Palm Desert...go figure....anyhoo...
1) valve adjustment
2) carb syncing and

Re: West Coast FJ Rally for 2014..... Last I heard it was planned for Willits, Calif. the weekend after Memorial Day. Willits is 3 hours, or so, south of you along the 101. We have had several FJ rallies there in the past and they have always been well received.

Re: Kookaloo....the answer is out there, you are just gonna have to hunt for it....think of it like some sort of initatition....there will be a pop quiz at the time of your next posting.  Cheers and again, welcome. Pat

Jonfife

Quote from: Pat Conlon on October 19, 2013, 12:07:20 AM
1) valve adjustment
2) carb syncing and

Hi Pat, thanks for note. Just from what I can see in your forum profile picture, wow...pretty awesome upgraded FJ1100! Have several channels on YouTube. Almost a million views, kinda crazy. Some videos are pretty obvious rookie/learn while I film stuff. But the more I do it the better I get. Tks for suggestions on some 'how to' videos. JF

CanDman

Welcome ........glad you finally decided to jump in.......
CanDman
Never regret your choices in life ! There is no way to go back to do it again and compare. Make the most and do your best with every decision you make

Jonfife

Quote from: CanDman on November 07, 2013, 09:09:12 AM
Welcome ........glad you finally decided to jump in.......
CanDman
[/quote
Yep, not sure what took me so long. Great site, great info. JF