News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Newbie to the FJ1200 world

Started by ih781000, October 29, 2013, 08:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ih781000

Hello all. I just bought a 1991 FJ1200 5 days ago. This is now bike number 7 in my garage. First BIG sport bike I've owned. Lots of fun to ride.

I live in Northern Oklahoma, have owned street and dirt bikes since 1979 and had dirt and trail bikes since 1970. I joined this forum to learn more about the bike. It's in very good condition with only 17k miles. Biggest flaw is the lower fairing (in front/bottom of engine) is cracked. I bought it from a guy in Kansas who lived on a bumpy gravel road. Rear brakes are metal to metal, have pads ordered already. Front tire is close to the end of it's life (any suggestions on what brand to replace it with?).

I ride to work everyday that's it's not raining (and sometimes when it is) switching between my Road King, Ironhead Sportster and XT550 (and now my FJ1200 as soon as I put the new pads on the rear brake).

I look forward to learning from the FJ1200 owners on the board.
91 FJ1200
94 Road King
78 XLH Ironhead Sporty
07 YZ250F
82 XT550J
08 Ohaly Pit Bike 110 4 speed (for my grandson)
08 Lifan 110 mini trail (for my other grandson)

red

Quote from: ih781000 on October 29, 2013, 08:09:02 AM
Hello all. I just bought a 1991 FJ1200 5 days ago.  Biggest flaw is the lower fairing (in front/bottom of engine) is cracked. I bought it from a guy in Kansas who lived on a bumpy gravel road. Rear brakes are metal to metal, have pads ordered already. Front tire is close to the end of it's life (any suggestions on what brand to replace it with?).  I look forward to learning from the FJ1200 owners on the board.
ih781000,

Unless the previous owner has upgraded the wheels to 17" rims, your tire choices are fairly limited.  Avon radials are available in your sizes, but I am using (bias-ply) Pirelli Sport Demons, and I think they are great.  The radials may be only be slightly better.  Make sure that the front and rear tires are the same type though, either bias-ply or radial, but not a mix.  Old tires get to be hard rubber, and they are not to be trusted with this much power in the corners, or at top end.

A lower cowling would be expensive, if available, but "plastic welding" is possible there, and it can be either a DIY job, or you can have it done by a commercial shop.  Others here can tell you more about that topic.

This web site can get you all of the Part Numbers that you need, and you might get lucky on eBay, for some things.  Sounds like the rear disk will need to be replaced, there.
http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/1991-yamaha-fj1200b.html

Welcome to the madhouse . . .    :yahoo:   

Cheers,
Red
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

movenon

Welcome ! 1991 is a nice year  :good2:. Try to fix the lower fairing. If not then remove it and store until you can. They are difficult to across and expensive most of the time when they. They are very repairable. 
I am from Thomas, OK although it's been a long time since I have been back there. Post some pictures of your FJ when you can and ask questions as you go.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

FJmonkey

Welcome FNG (not sure what to call you), you found the best place for your FJ. These bikes are easy to work on and can out last us when properly cared for. When my 86' still had 16" wheels I ran on the Avon AV45/46 combo. I have the canyons in my back yard and wanted the best tire for the corners. The Pirellis are given good reviews by some fellow FJ riders in my area so I think they would be a good choice as well. If your mostly commuting you might want a harder compound to get more miles out of them. If you upgrade to 17" wheels then you will have too many choices of really good rubber to run on. So think about how you are going to ride your FJ, then think about tire needs. Your lower fairing can be fixed for less than replacing it. And there are fiberglass ones out there if you don't mind drilling out the mounting holes and painting it to match. Check your rotor thickness before throwing on new pads to make sure it has some life left. Check the clutch slave, they tend to leak and the DOT3 makes the ABS of the lower fairing brittle. Look for pealling paint in the slave area. this digital campfire will be like a new home to you in a short while.

Mark, AKA the Red Power Ranger
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

1tinindian

From one pink-striper to another, welcome!
I put a fiberglass lower scoop on mine.
http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=5256.0
http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=7311.0

I also used to run the Avons on the stock wheels, but I'm using Dunlop Q2s on my 17" front and rear wheel conversion.

Leon
"I want to be free to ride my machine without being hassled by the "man"!
91 FJ1200

aviationfred

Welcome to the group  :hi:. I am only a couple of hours away in Wichita. There is a member who lives in Tulsa. Like previous posts, 17" rear wheel mod is almost a must. Very easy to do and relatively low cost, and you have a huge selection of tires to choose from. I highly recommend the mod.

Here is the how to Link for the 17" rear wheel mod.

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=3380.0

I have 17" wheels front and back on both of My FJ's.

Here is an example of a 17" wheel that will work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-GSXR600-GSXR-600-GSXR750-750-Rear-Wheel-Rim-Tire-Hub-/121167133553?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1993%7CModel%3AGSXR&hash=item1c361fbb71&vxp=mtr

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Country Joe

Quote from: aviationfred on October 29, 2013, 03:31:22 PMmust.

Here is an example of a 17" wheel that will work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-GSXR600-GSXR-600-GSXR750-750-Rear-Wheel-Rim-Tire-Hub-/121167133553?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1993%7CModel%3AGSXR&hash=item1c361fbb71&vxp=mtr

Fred

ih781000,
Welcome to the asylum! Ask any questions about the FJ you may have, it will be answered here.
I spent 11 years in Tulsa, sometimes I miss it, but 1 trip a year usually fixes me right up.
If you get the chance, come to Arkansas and wear out a set of tires in one good weekend.

Fred,
Good find on that wheel, that's a bunch of the necessary parts for $100.00. Want to guess who bought it? :hi:
I've already located a rear caliper, just need to find a caliper bracket and the axle spacers. I have a 88 model FZR 1000 front wheel in the mail right now as well. :yahoo:k

Joe

1993 FJ 1200

ih781000

Thanks for all the replies. I'll have to scope out the wheel size and tire situation. Rotor in back was fine, just a couple scrapes, nothing serious. Just don't know why the previous owner would put up the $10 for a couple pads before letting it get there. Lazy I guess. Well, the new ones are on so I feel comfortable riding it now that I can you both brakes. LOL.
91 FJ1200
94 Road King
78 XLH Ironhead Sporty
07 YZ250F
82 XT550J
08 Ohaly Pit Bike 110 4 speed (for my grandson)
08 Lifan 110 mini trail (for my other grandson)

motogp52

:good2: Congrats on your FJ purchase.  I've owned FJ's for a long time and really do love them.  As for tires, I have run a number of different brands and I personally like the Bridgestone Batlax tires.  They handle very well and wear well too. I have them on all three of my FJ's.  The tire is also sold in both 16 inch and 17 inch for the front wheel.  I've have found Bike bandit has the best deals on them.  Enjoy you're FJ!   -Barry
The quality of thought is only as good as the quality of language used.

Current FJ's                            Past FJ's
1984 FJ1100                          1985 FJ1100
1986 FJ1200                          1987 FJ1200
1989 FJ1200 Midnight blue      1992 FJ1200
1989 FJ1200 White/Silver

CanDman

Ahhh Tulsa......the good ole Bible belt !!!! welcome to the Church of the "Flying Jockeys". Father Pat is our resident Pastor and Elder ( :mocking:). He keeps a close eye on the sheep. There are many other leaders in this Church who will teach and encourage the Flock on how to be a good soldier and representative. There is the occasional differences of doctrine and interpretations.....but generally speaking....Peace Love and Joy is the chore of our Faith....and of course our passion to ride the globe and spread the good news.......One verse you should become acquainted with....and it is sort of our swan song...

Marsh 1:4L ......" and when they beheld the great horse, they lifted it up and carried it to a place where they could ride it forever and gave it the name  FistJam "  

Bless you Brother and welcome

CanDman
Never regret your choices in life ! There is no way to go back to do it again and compare. Make the most and do your best with every decision you make