News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Best one piece suit for commuting?

Started by Vsekvsek, December 15, 2013, 01:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vsekvsek

I ended up getting the joe rocket survivor one peace. $289 shipped to my door from ridersdiscount . I am really happy with build quality. Has an inner liner that unzips. Elbow, back knee and shoulder pads. Super compfy. Runs a tad smaller than size listed. Probably because extra liner and padding. I just couldn't spending $1000 on a commuter suit. Though I am sure they are nice.
89 fj
09 wr300 husqvarna

carey

Vsekvsek,

I don't care what gear you use, as long as you use gear.  Six years ago, on my 25th wedding anniversary, my wife and I took the day off.  We planned a leisurely day trip and dinner.  At 7:30 AM I get a call from my son. He was in a motorcycle accident.  There was road construction converging 2 lanes into 1.  He did a tuck and roll at 65 MPH.  He was wearing Joe Rocket gear.  The gear was ruined in the crash, but my son was OK.  After he was released from the emergency room, he made it to school in time for lunch.

Enjoy you new suit.

Vsekvsek

Quote from: carey on February 14, 2014, 10:16:16 PM
Vsekvsek,

I don't care what gear you use, as long as you use gear.  Six years ago, on my 25th wedding anniversary, my wife and I took the day off.  We planned a leisurely day trip and dinner.  At 7:30 AM I get a call from my son. He was in a motorcycle accident.  There was road construction converging 2 lanes into 1.  He did a tuck and roll at 65 MPH.  He was wearing Joe Rocket gear.  The gear was ruined in the crash, but my son was OK.  After he was released from the emergency room, he made it to school in time for lunch.

Enjoy you new suit.
thx- your the third one I have heard from now that proper gear saved their ass. To think when I first got my fj i rode around with levis and north face jacket-lol
89 fj
09 wr300 husqvarna

simi_ed

Quote from: Vsekvsek on February 14, 2014, 11:15:07 PM
Quote from: carey on February 14, 2014, 10:16:16 PM
Vsekvsek,

I
Enjoy you new suit.
thx- your the third one I have heard from now that proper gear saved their ass. To think when I first got my fj i rode around with levis and north face jacket-lol

Add me to your list, I'm #4.  Wear your gear.
http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=278.0
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

FJmonkey

I am #5 then on my 86' FJ, I still made it to work that Monday morning. My gear was a bit thrashed and the curb was not kind to the upper fairing. But I had minimal damage. I now require pads in all contact points, knees, elbows, shoulders etc... My boots took a beating, my full face was missing some paint on the front where I kissed the pavement as I tumbled. Good gear is way less expensive and painful than skin grafts.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

movenon

Quiet frankly I rode for years with no gear and most of the time locally without a helmet.  So I guess you can say I wasn't big on "gear" other than keeping warm and dry.

Last winter I bought a Tourmaster Jacket with some token CE in it, riding boots, and an new inexpensive helmet as the one I had was over 20 years old.  I took a spill and ended up over a guard rail and face down in some dirt and rocks. The helmet was destroyed , not cracked or broken just deeply scoured in the front and face shield, the coat was torn up around the shoulder, arm and abrasions on the back. There was no traffic when I departed company with the FJ and when I woke up there were 2 cars there to help so for some small amount of time I was out of it.

What I am trying to say is even low level gear works.  I would have been in a lot worse shape without it.  It all worked as advertised.  Moderate level gear doesn't have to cost all that much.  E bay is great for good deals.  I bought a almost new replacement Cortech/Tourmaster 3/4 jacket with liner and light CE for 45.00 (they are warm and dry) and a real nice Cortech Magnam Air perforated leather jacket with good CE and liner for 60.00 delivered in excellent shape.

I love America, a guy go's out and buys a new bike and gear then 6 months later he (or his wife....) decides to get rid of it.  Lots of almost new or very good condition stuff at deep discounts.  I got a brand new helmet given to me from a neighbor just because his wife didn't like the graphics's on it...... And there are starving people...... Like I said, I love America.  :good2:

My deal was nothing, I can't even begin to comprehend going down on I-5 or some of the events other members have lived through.  I wear gear a little more often now..........
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

FJ Flyer

I'm #6.  Tumbled down the highway from 55+ mph coming home from work. Bike slid about 20 yards.  Trashed my helmet, gloves, and Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket.  Salvaged the First Gear HT Air pants.  Engine guards did their job.  Picked up the broken mirror, then the bike.  Started it up and rode home.  I was black and blue for a month.  But no road rash or broken bits.

Carey - I'll look into the back protector when I get the jacket.  I'm using an aftermarket back protector in my FG Kilimanjaro jacket.  Not sure its as good or will fit.  Thanks.
Chris P.
'16 FJR1300ES
'87 FJ1200
'76 DT250

Wear your gear.

rktmanfj

I guess I'll be #7.

Falied to negotiate the last of a tight left hander about 15 years ago on my '89.

The runoff area was about as good as it gets... a nice flat empty lawn.  The FJ (pre-Renntecs) went down on its left side at about 40 mph or so and slid for about 75'.  I, however, struck first with my right knee and did the earth/sky, earth/sky, earth/sky, BOOM thing, bashing my head and right (1 year post-surgery) shoulder into the ground on each cartwheel.  I'm sure the seismograph over at IU must've recorded it.

Shoei RF-700, Motoport leathers, engineer boots.  A passer-by in Nissan pickup stopped and rolled down his window "Dayum, are you all right?", and got out to help.  He even fended off the property owner, who at first came out and raised hell at me for messing up his grass, then both of them picked the FJ up for me.  Only damage to the bike was the clutch lever and left scoop, and dirt and grass caked everywhere.  I was able to restart the bike and ride it home.

Upon arriving home, I had to call my then g/f for help in getting my leathers off (2-piece suit, zipped together), as I could not get it over my shoulder.  But there was no structural damage to the shoulder, and I never even got a headache.  Lots of bruising, though.  Replaced the helmet, still have the leathers, though they appear to have since shrunk a bit.  ;)

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350