News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Happy New Year

Started by Swifty, December 28, 2013, 07:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swifty

Happy New Year!  Swifty here, wishing all a Happy New Year. My New Years resolution is to join the FJ forum to gain from your insights, talk with fellow riders, owners, and wrenchers.  I have a new to me 1986 FJ1200, with only 3100 miles.  It has not run in perhaps 15-20 years.  I got it from a friend whose brother had it and dropped it twenty years ago.  Unfortunately he got sick and died before he could fix it.  It has sat in a garage along with many other bikes waiting for repair. The family liquidated all his bikes, and I was fortunate to see this FJ1200 in the back of the garage, and took it home with me.  
I have changed to oil, pulled the carbs for cleaning, and checked the tank, which is clean.  It has a little bit of surface scratches and a couple cracks in the fairing on the right side fairing and chin cowl. 
I would like to refurbish the bike to its original condition.  I would appreciate any insights you all might have.  Where I can get a new chin cowl, or how to fix this one.  What else I should do prior to starting, running the bike.  I plan on cleaning the carbs, and cleaning, flush and inspect the brake calipers, master cylinders.  Thank you for any advice you may have.  I have been working on bikes as a hobby for a number of years now. 
I am located in south west New Hampshire.
Thanks for listening,
Swifty
Life's goal is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body. But rather, to skid in sideways... totally worn out and broken, shouting "Holy crap, WHAT A RIDE!"
1986 FJ1200
1985 VMax
1962 YDS2

FJmonkey

Welcome and happy New Year Swifty, very nice find on that low milage 86'. Where in the world are you?
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

movenon

Welcome ! As Mark said, where about are you located ? Post some pictures when you can and start a new thread in the " Project " section so we can help and follow along.  Sounds like a nice project. Ask questions. Most things are easy when you know the tricks.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

rktmanfj

Quote from: FJmonkey on December 28, 2013, 07:48:37 AMWhere in the world are you?

Quote from: movenon on December 28, 2013, 08:54:35 AM
As Mark said, where about are you located ?

Quote from: Swifty on December 28, 2013, 07:46:02 AM

:scratch_one-s_head:   :unknown:

Have some more coffee, fellas...  :biggrin:

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

movenon

:morning1: :morning1: :morning1: :yahoo:
George..             Good Morning.
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

CanDman

Happy New Year Swifty and welcome
CanDman
Never regret your choices in life ! There is no way to go back to do it again and compare. Make the most and do your best with every decision you make

andyoutandabout

yep, Happy new year riders. Be safe, be fast, be lucky
Andy
life without a bike is just life

Pat Conlon

Quote from: Swifty on December 28, 2013, 07:46:02 AM
......What else I should do prior to starting, running the bike.  I plan on cleaning the carbs, and cleaning, flush and inspect the brake calipers, master cylinders.  Thank you for any advice you may have.  I have been working on bikes as a hobby for a number of years now.  
Thanks for listening,
Swifty

Hello Swifty, welcome aboard....I would add 4 things to your list
1) For a engine that has been sitting that long, I would remove the plugs and left side ignition cover, squirt some PB Blaster down the cylinders, let sit over night, and then very gently rotate the crank (back and forth) by hand via socket wrench, to assure no rings are frozen. If you use the starter motor, you can easily break a frozen ring.
2) Plan on new tires, regardless of wear on the old tires. That old rubber is dry and hard as a rock.
3) Replace all the oem rubber brake lines...really. No fooling. Might as well do the clutch line also. Just like your old tires, under pressure, the oem rubber lines dry out and split (typically at the banjo fittings)
4) Safety wire the pressed in elbow on your vacuum petcock. (See the files)

Cheers laddie! Happy New Year.  Pat
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

motogp52

:good2: Congrats on a rare find!  1986 is one of my favorite color combinations. Do as Pat says and make sure the carb is clean and synchronized and you should be good to go!  New Hampshire is such a beautiful state, you will love riding your new FJ.  -Barry
The quality of thought is only as good as the quality of language used.

Current FJ's                            Past FJ's
1984 FJ1100                          1985 FJ1100
1986 FJ1200                          1987 FJ1200
1989 FJ1200 Midnight blue      1992 FJ1200
1989 FJ1200 White/Silver

fj johnnie

Welcome aboard! The advice you have received so far is priceless. When you figure it out ,post some pictures. I too have an 86. I think they are simply beautiful.

Swifty

New Years Eve 2013

WOW!  Thank you for your comments, advice, and lists.  They are indeed "priceless".  I've take your advice and started a new thread in the projects section "Happy New Year Project".  Added some pictures of the bike as it is now.  I will update the project with the "as found" condition of some of the components, some good, some not so good.  I hope to update the project status as it progresses, with your help. 
Thanks you again for your support, you have given me new found enthusiasm!

May 2014 be the best it can be for you all,
C'ya

Swifty

Life's goal is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body. But rather, to skid in sideways... totally worn out and broken, shouting "Holy crap, WHAT A RIDE!"
1986 FJ1200
1985 VMax
1962 YDS2