News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Left, Hand controller, Hi/Low beam, Turn signal and horn switches

Started by Joe Sull, January 05, 2014, 02:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Sull

ABS? Why is the right side aluminum and the left side ABS?
I guess I'll have to paint the metalcast base coat and red
to match the bike.

This side is a little more tricky than the right side.
I'm glad I took this apart and cleaned the contacts. I had problems
with the turn signals and the Hi/Low beam switches when I got the
bike. The Hi/Low beam was bad. The little that I drove at night was
scary. Switch from low to high and the lights would go out all
together a 60 mph.

I used contact cleaner at the time and got thru but it's good to get this done.

The Hi/Low switch it easy. Just like the kill switch. Nothings gonna go flying when you
spread the housing and pop out the toggle.

600 sand paper made the contacts clean.

I sanded the toggle and made it look good!

The horn switch has a ball detent on the opposite side and it will drop.

I cleaned everything then started assembling like this;

I got the ball detent in and pinched on the pivot/housing.

Once you get one side in the notch you can ease your finger out while shutting and snapping
this little plate in.

Turn signal switch has a lot to it but I did it and put it back together with the use of these pics.

This little contact has the ball detent and the spring goes thru to the other side
and rest on a contact lug. I used a razor blade to pop the lug out and cleaned were the
spring contacts it.

I'll get a better pic than this one. To fuzzy.

Here some shots putting it together.
I put the stress relief lug in to get my wiring route right but it has to be removed
because the switch mechanism goes under it.

In this pic, The contact on each side go inside the abs stops. If you have them outside
like I did at first, the one on the right will be contacting the wire stress relief lug.

There, I did my civic duty as an FJ owner. :morning1:
You Keep What you kill

rktmanfj

Quote from: Joe Sull on January 05, 2014, 02:46:34 PM
ABS? Why is the right side aluminum and the left side ABS?

Must just be that way on the prototype models... my '89 and '90 are both aluminum.    :bomb:

Nice work on the pictoral!   :good2:

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

CafeNervosa

Joe,
Nice pictorial.

Did you do this because you isolated the problem to the switches on the handlebar?
After doing this cleaning did the signal switch, high beam switch and horn switch work as designed?

Thanks
1989 FJ1200 3SK.-for sale-
2009 BMW F800ST
Prior bikes  1996 Virago 535 and a ~1982 Suzuki CSR 650

fintip

'86 and '87 here, both are aluminum. Your got switches off of a donor bike at some point, I think. It does look similar, though... But I'm fairly sure your pictorial just now was on a non FJ part, haha.  :hi:
fjowners.wikidot.com

Not everyone understands what a completely rational process this maintenance of a motorcycle is. They think it's some kind of a knack or some kind of affinity for machines in operation. They are right, but the knack is almost purely a process of reason.
-ZAMM

IBA:54952

mpa61

I have had issues with my turn switch. Thanks for the pictorial...it will be a good reference when it "springs apart" on me.

Quote from: fintip on March 27, 2014, 11:26:10 AM
'86 and '87 here, both are aluminum. Your got switches off of a donor bike at some point, I think. It does look similar, though... But I'm fairly sure your pictorial just now was on a non FJ part, haha.  :hi:

I am pretty sure you will find it's a genuine FJ1100 assy. So.....haha right back at you  :smile:

Joe Sull

You guys dug this up? I'm glad if it helps. All my switches work perfect now. The only question I have is if I should put some sort of dielectric lube to keep water off, like a silicon spray. I think thats what I'm gonna do.
I started doing them over because the high/ low switch was failing. Driving at night, I switched from low to high and the lights went out completely going 60 mph. I was blind, had to stop as fast as possible.
The switches that mite give trouble assembling is the horn, starter and turn signal. Getting the ball detent right in the horn switch being the hardest.
Take extra notice of the wire routing  and the screw length for the turn signal switch. The rear corner of the switch is sandwiched under the cable strain relief.
The wiring route will pretty much stay bent to form. While I fiddled with getting the turn switch assembly in, I broke a solder joint on the horn switch. After soldering the wire back on, I had lost the natural bends and had to make it right on my own. That sucked! Take some more pics if you can. My pics should be enough. If you need help, just ask. Joe
You Keep What you kill