Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

2014 NESR

Started by CanDman, January 07, 2014, 12:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob

Quote from: not a lib on April 16, 2014, 12:10:38 PM
Quote from: Bob on April 16, 2014, 06:02:23 AM
Last time I went down to Boone was in 2008. When did life get this busy?  :scratch_one-s_head:

Wow, I guess it has been that long.      :sorry:

Cool... thanks for that.  And check out the silly-ass grins. Guess we had some nice rides that day  :good2:
Bob N.
'93 FJ
'17 V-Strom DL650
Whitby, ON

CanDman

sorry you won't make it Bob.......looks like it's going to be a great time....
Never regret your choices in life ! There is no way to go back to do it again and compare. Make the most and do your best with every decision you make

Travis398

Definitely a long time ago, look how young you guys look. 

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

CanDman

Hey guys.....just got a call from Margie at the lodge and she is asking everyone planning on attending to shore book their rooms. I asked her to extend out deadline so please give her a call and hold the room....if you have to cancel....you can still do that 2 weeks before and get your deposit back. Even if you give her a deposit of 50 bucks I am quite sure she will hold a room. If you have any questions or concerns ......feel free to PM myself or Glen.....thx ...hope to see you there for some great riding and lots of chatter.... :drinks:
CanDman     
Never regret your choices in life ! There is no way to go back to do it again and compare. Make the most and do your best with every decision you make

Sabre093

I'm going to be last minute like Johnnie...not sure my ass can do a 6-8 hr. run without being crippled...got bad Neck and shoulders, I could load into pick-up and drive down and unload there. Guess we will see, I'm heading to Johnnie's for the clinic so I will talk to a few there.
2009 FJR 1300
1992 FJ 1200
1987 FJ 1200 Sold
1986 FJ 1200 Sold
1985 Venture Royale
1976 GoldWing
1986 FZ 750
1986 GPZ 900
1984 Honda Nighthawk S 750
1982 Honda Nighthawk 450

ribbert

Quote from: Sabre093 on April 25, 2014, 05:01:06 PM
...not sure my ass can do a 6-8 hr. run without being crippled...got bad Neck and shoulders,

I have a bad back and neck. At times I can barely walk and can be laid up for weeks at a time. Ironically, one of the few things I can do without aggravating it when it's bad, is ride the FJ. Even if I have the greatest difficulty getting on and off it, riding it does not seem to irritate it and I am quite comfortable.
I have occasionally managed day long rides where I have required assistance getting on and off the bike, finding it physically impossible to do so by myself, but none the worse for it after.

If you're not used to rides of that duration, give a go, the worst you can do is end up stiff and sore. There are potions to be consumed after a day in the saddle that can alleviate these symptoms. Long rides make for much better memories and stories.

The riding position of the FJ is very easy on backs. I can't vouch for the condition of your arse though. I only get a sore bum from my thin summer pants and a small lambswool pad on the seat fixes that. I'm 60, unfit and regularly ride 700km days, it's easy of the FJ.

Unlike many here, I don't have a problem with the standard seat. I try to never ride more than 2 hours without a short break, 5 minutes is enough.

Get out of your comfort zone!

Noel

"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

rktmanfj

Quote from: ribbert on April 25, 2014, 09:01:32 PM
Quote from: Sabre093 on April 25, 2014, 05:01:06 PM
...not sure my ass can do a 6-8 hr. run without being crippled...got bad Neck and shoulders,

I have a bad back and neck. At times I can barely walk and can be laid up for weeks at a time. Ironically, one of the few things I can do without aggravating it when it's bad, is ride the FJ. Even if I have the greatest difficulty getting on and off it, riding it does not seem to irritate it and I am quite comfortable.
I have occasionally managed day long rides where I have required assistance getting on and off the bike, finding it physically impossible to do so by myself, but none the worse for it after.

If you're not used to rides of that duration, give a go, the worst you can do is end up stiff and sore. There are potions to be consumed after a day in the saddle that can alleviate these symptoms. Long rides make for much better memories and stories.

The riding position of the FJ is very easy on backs. I can't vouch for the condition of your arse though. I only get a sore bum from my thin summer pants and a small lambswool pad on the seat fixes that. I'm 60, unfit and regularly ride 700km days, it's easy of the FJ.

Unlike many here, I don't have a problem with the standard seat. I try to never ride more than 2 hours without a short break, 5 minutes is enough.

Get out of your comfort zone!

Noel

I've been accused of faking it a few times when I was down in the back and chose the FJ as transportation over my cages.
No one believes me when I tell them it's the easiest of the lot on my back...    :yes:

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

ribbert

Quote from: not a lib on April 25, 2014, 09:10:01 PM

I've been accused of faking it a few times when I was down in the back and chose the FJ as transportation over my cages.
No one believes me when I tell them it's the easiest of the lot on my back...    :yes:

There have been a few times when just couldn't drive, even if I could move my leg/foot to the brake pedal I couldn't apply any pressure. Even in this state I could still ride. If not too bad I would just pull up next to something raised to make getting on and off easier or at worst, have two people load me on and off, one to hold the bike, the other one to slowly lift my leg and help me on. This never failed to get some odd looks from bystanders.
The only time it was a problem was pulling up at a roadside stop and as I went to put my foot down I was struck with a bolt of pain in my lower back akin to a jab with a white hot poker causing me to freeze momentarily and fall over. I was by myself and had to wait for someone to stop (not long) and lift the bike off me.
Fortunately, this level of back problem is not a constant one, and if I'm careful gives me little grief, but when it does I'm down big time. I work for myself, so no work, no money.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

akinc

Sorry guys, can't book the time off work this year.
Had a great time on the last rally, Vermont and Maine is amazing area to ride.
New location sounds awesome.
Have a good one!
"LIVE MUSIC IS BETTER- Bumper stickers should be issued!"

RACER111V

Another option in lodging is the Lake Eaton campground (NY state). I booked a tent site there (three days) for a total of $84. I am well set up for camping off my bike, and enjoy sleeping in a tent rather than a hotel. It is 2.7 miles from the hotel. There are still 40 or so sites still available, and room at my site for a tent or two.

I have gotten some good local info on the roads. I am stringing them together with some food and rest stops.   :bye2:

A11an0n

Quote from: RACER111V on April 26, 2014, 08:50:53 AM
I booked a tent site there (three days) for a total of $84.

You're not staying at the hotel with the rest of us?
1986 FJ1200
2007 Yamaha WR250F

RACER111V

Quote from: A11an0n on April 28, 2014, 04:09:03 PM

I'll be there with you guys, but my bedroom is 2.7 miles down the hallway............... :drinks:

CanDman

Quote from: A11an0n on April 28, 2014, 04:09:03 PM

They didn't have any 8' beds.....I also heard through the wooded forest that the camp site is paying him to wear a big furry suite and run around the forest after dark ... :mocking:

CanDman

Sadly, Dan, myself and Glen have decided to reschedule this years rally to next year........so those of you who were on the fence about making it this summer can go ahead with whatever else is on your plates. I know there is genuine interest and enthusiasm among the members this side of the continent... to meet and hang out, it's just not in the cards yet. Hopefully next year, this event will catch fire again. Having been to this years Australian Rally I can speak from personal experience.  Rally's like these.....and by that I mean FJ Rally's are the best anywhere in the world.....I have never met a finer bunch of people who not only work hard but they are people who still love to play hard. Meeting the members of both the NESR and the Australian anniversary Rally has been awesome experience's for me and I have been inspired by so many great folks. I sincerely hope that I will have the pleasure of meeting more of you in the very near future ....enjoy your summer everyone and ride safe........ :drinks:
Kev

FJscott

Kev,

sorry to hear the NE rally is postponed. you can always come on down to the southern end of the continent? our rally is in late sept.

Scott