News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Well

Started by keand3, January 08, 2014, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keand3

Thanks for the tip Monkey and Joe..  :good2:

Monkey: Those speedbleeders, are they ment to use with compressed air and without using a wrench to open the fittings as usually?

Joe: Yes i will try the manually method as you described, it might give me some luck. I do get fluid through the system, but the fitting on the inside is tricky. When i open it after build up pressure it seems to leak at the base on the fitting. The fluid comes from underneath and up and out through the hole and not through the fitting it self it seems.

Whant to check out my photos on the bike??
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=828DDEC8DF631CA5%21103

andyoutandabout

Even a tight wad like myself is willing to gamble $7 on a speed bleeder to try and get my clutch half way decent. I'm getting tired of having to nurse first gear in - be great if it cures or improves this action.
Andy
life without a bike is just life

jscgdunn

Hi Ken,
Put some Teflon plumbers tape on the bleeder.  Also keep the tube full by keeping it elevated above the bleeder.  A vacuum pump also helps to get the air moving sometimes....esp with the clutch slave.  Lots of good u tube videos too.

Jeff
92 FJ1200 2008 ZX14 Forks, wheels, 2008 cbr 600 RR swingarm
92 FJ1200 2009 R1 Swinger, Forks, Wheels, 2013 CBR 1000 Shock
90 FJ 1200 (Son # 2), Stock
89 FJ 1200 Built from parts: (Brother bought it) mostly 92 parts inc. motor
84 FJ 1100 (Son #1), 89 forks wheels, blue spots

Arnie

Ken,

It sounds like that bleeder needs the teflon tape (as Jeff recommended), and also may be blocked with crud.
You can clean it easily with a small wire, and its better to do so from the tip out.

FJmonkey

Quote from: keand3 on March 21, 2014, 05:16:40 PM
Monkey: Those speedbleeders, are they ment to use with compressed air and without using a wrench to open the fittings as usually?

The SB (Speed Bleeders) simplify the old tried and true way of bleeding. The threads are coated to seal them so air cannot get sucked back in. The check valve acts like keeping the end of the tube under the surface of the fluid. It also eliminates the need to loosen, bleeder,  squeeze lever, just as the squeeze is ending tighten bleeder.

It is easier to describe the process with the SB. Install clear tube on bleeder to direct old fluid to waste container. Crack the SB open just a touch, maybe an 1/8 of a turn. Squeeze lever slowly, watch fluid flush out through clear tube into container. Repeat squeezing process till air bubbles are no longer coming out of tube with the fluid. Top off master as needed during this process. When satisfied that bleeding is complete, tighten SB, clean up and ride. No air required, unless you want a fan blowing to keep cool with....
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

movenon

Here is some sealent for speed bleeders if you use them a lot.  Wonder if it would work with old fashion bleeders instead of yellow or red Teflon tape ?
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/3855/Speedbleeders

Some bleeders. http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/category/s?keyword=speed+bleeder
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

keand3

Thanks for tips on the bleeding guys, will look into it when i have the time  :good2:

In the mean time, here's some photos of the bika as promissed.

Joe Sull

Extremely nice looking bike. Is that black on the duck bill?
You Keep What you kill

keand3

Quote from: Joe Sull on March 22, 2014, 05:07:10 PM
Extremely nice looking bike. Is that black on the duck bill?

Thanks! Im quite happy with the result.
Duck bill??  Please explain so a foreigner could understand  :pardon:

Ken

Joe Sull

The rear section in back of the seat.
blue and the flare looks black?
You Keep What you kill

FJscott

Very nice Ken :good2:
the white wheels go nicely with the dark blue.

Scott

yampug

Quote from: FJ111200 on March 02, 2014, 03:23:05 AM
I personally wouldn't touch FJOCUK with a barge pole.

:good2:

Arnie

Ken,

Nice job.  You're going to love that GIVI tank bag almost as much as you will hate the white wheels even though they look nice.
Now go and ride that thing.

keand3

Quote from: Arnie on March 22, 2014, 08:27:41 PM
Ken,

Nice job.  You're going to love that GIVI tank bag almost as much as you will hate the white wheels even though they look nice.
Now go and ride that thing.

Yes! That givi tank bag is incredible nice. The only drawback is that the back part of it is sitting/hanging down onto the tank and leaving marks from the fabric thats a pain in the ass to get of when washing the bike.

The white wheels dosent stay white for long, but thats just a reason to wash it :yahoo:

Quote from: Joe Sull on March 22, 2014, 05:33:12 PM
The rear section in back of the seat.
blue and the flare looks black?

Yes you are quite right Joe, The flare is black and the rest is blue. So thats what you call the duck bill... :biggrin:

Cheers
Ken

FJmonkey

Quote from: keand3 on March 22, 2014, 11:46:00 PM

The only drawback is that the back part of it is sitting/hanging down onto the tank and leaving marks from the fabric thats a pain in the ass to get of when washing the bike.

Ken, your bag may not be adjusted properly. No part of my tank bag touches my tank. Maybe a picture of it as you have it installed.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side