News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Well

Started by keand3, January 08, 2014, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJmonkey

Quote from: not a lib on April 21, 2014, 09:01:21 PM

It just occurred to me...

I thought the ambulances all had aluminum brake pedals.    :scratch_one-s_head:

Mine does, the 84' I saw two weeks ago did not. I was thinking it was a replacement part. Now I have to wonder about that....
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

rktmanfj

Quote from: FJmonkey on April 21, 2014, 09:18:42 PM
Quote from: not a lib on April 21, 2014, 09:01:21 PM

It just occurred to me...

I thought the ambulances all had aluminum brake pedals.    :scratch_one-s_head:

Mine does, the 84' I saw two weeks ago did not. I was thinking it was a replacement part. Now I have to wonder about that....

The brake pedal, passenger pegs, etc. on both of my 3CVs are steel, but I have those same parts from an '86, and they're cast aluminum.

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

movenon

In my repair of the 1990 I needed a right side rider peg.  I picked up an 86 or 87 peg and it is cast and my 1990 was a stamped steel.  Just another one of the small differences between models. 
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

keand3

Quote from: Arnie on April 21, 2014, 08:04:36 PM
Ken,

That looks like a self-drilling self-tapping tek screw.  
Unfortunately for you, they are hardened and you're gonna have a tough time getting the broken part out.
Even if you do get it out, the original thread will be Fukked.  However, there is enough meat on that brake lever that you should be able to drill and tap it to the next size.  A US SAE 1/4" bolt is ~ 6.25mm which may be large enough.
Or just drill it through and put a bolt and nut on, its only used as a clamp after all.

Arnie,
I got that fukker out  :good2: Don't think I'll bother my self with tapping it to the next size, I'mgonna keep it simple and use a bolt and nut i think  :dance2:
Thanks for the advice  :good2:

Quote from: FJmonkey on April 21, 2014, 09:18:42 PM

You have yours pedal out of aluinum? Hmm... Mine is made out of steel...  :scratch_one-s_head:

Ken
Whant to check out my photos on the bike??
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=828DDEC8DF631CA5%21103

simi_ed

Ken, you should try the OEM 6x1.00mm bolt to see if the threads are damaged or the PO was just a lazy POS.  You may get lucky  :yahoo:
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

movenon

Another very minor thing you can do with the brake pedal off is to grind off some of the metal on the left side of the foot pad and round the corner a little. It will not stop the pedal from impacting the clutch cover in the event of a mishap but might end up being the difference between a dent or scratch in the cover vs a cracked cover. 
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

keand3

The PO had completely ruined the threads I'm afraid. I drilled out the rest and went easy with bolt and nut.

George, thanks for the tip.
I would never have thought of that  :good2:
Cheers
Ken

rktmanfj

Quote from: keand3 on April 22, 2014, 01:28:30 AM

You have yours pedal out of aluinum? Hmm... Mine is made out of steel...  :scratch_one-s_head:

Ken

Well, I have an '86 pedal that's of aluminum... the pic of your steel one made me question my memory for a second.
I'd guess the PO changed it out at some point.   :unknown:

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

andyb

Quote from: movenon on April 22, 2014, 05:47:00 AM
Another very minor thing you can do with the brake pedal off is to grind off some of the metal on the left side of the foot pad and round the corner a little. It will not stop the pedal from impacting the clutch cover in the event of a mishap but might end up being the difference between a dent or scratch in the cover vs a cracked cover. 
George

That's brilliant.  I'll be doing that if I remember the next time I have the thing apart!

keand3

Got the new bearings in the wheel today, and this time I remebered the spacer on the sprocket carrier  :rofl2:

Went for an 1,5 h drive with no sign to any fault what so ever...  :yahoo: :yahoo:

But... 500 meters from my house my rev counter and fuel gauge stopt working..  :dash2:
It was the fuse that had blown, and thats the first fuse to go since I bought the bike.. But I still womder why it blew...

Cheers
Ken

keand3

Hi guys..

Well, I did manage to tighten that sucker up, and now the banjo bolt is holding up  :good2:
Have ordered a new pressure banjo bolt so I can get the rear brakelight going again, but until then I'll ride without..

I got my self some nice new treats, toys or what ever you would call it to my bike  :yahoo:
Notting big or fancy or anything like that, but a new reservoir for my clutch master cylinder...

Sorry for those bad photos... I will try to take some new ones with better quality, but the will be uploaded at my public folder in OneDrive. So if you would like to see them I suggest you look there.  :pardon:

Cheers

Ken

keand3

Hi guys, a little update on the bike...

The bike is performing outstanding! Someone in an earlier thread of mine mentioned that my bike (with the blue color) looks like a sleeper. Meaning it doesn't attract attention form the guys in blue...
Well, I can report that as of now, that's true! I probably just been lucky though, but its nice to think the color is helping  :yes:

That fekken moditus always keeps pointing me in directions on where i can improve things, damn it!....  :dash2: :dash2: :dash2: The list just keeps growing and growing...
Yesterday the bike just passed 110.000km and its still kicks ass like my mother in-law!  :rofl2:

I have been using the Kellerman BL2000 handlebar turnsignals i while now, and I got to say I really like them. I Had some issues at first, especially on the throttle side that it would get "unscrewed" when ever I used the throttle and when its was fully open. The rubber was twisting it back as I was throttling. Fixed it bu gently cutting of the tip rubber handles. They need to be replaced anyway but i won't be doing that until the winter.

I got a an offer for the bike (unseen, just the rumor spreading ;-) from a guy futher down south in the country. He was commuting in from Greenland for the summer to work and need transport.. I politely decline the offer, its not for sale! NEVER!
Joe, he being from Greenland and actually being an Eskimo (I had to ask! :-), I thought it would had been fun selling it to an Eskimo as you said back in my thread describing the seasons first ride...
Here's the thread

Quote from: Joe Sull on March 21, 2014, 04:34:13 PM
Quote from: keand3 on March 21, 2014, 01:23:50 PM

It was lovely letting her loose again, and feeling her lust and desire for that twisting throttle! She hungers for more torque, speed and action, I am certain of it!  :wacko3: :wacko3: :wacko3:

You could sell your FJ to an Eskimo with a line like that.

I had an attempt on recording a video here some days back, but the mounting point of my GoPro was not good. Wind exposure made the video unwatchable as its was flickering all over the place. Will try again soon with the camera mounted on my helmet. Will try to catch some footage of those local scenic places and upload it to youtube for you guys to watch..

Cheers
Ken

Joe Sull

The FJ's a very powerful and scary motorcycle.  :blum1: You go running around using wide open throttle and everybodys gonna pay attention, Blue or not. :biggrin:. I think I've only, maybe hit 8k on the tach. I was to worried to look down.
Those masters you got look awesome!!! I didn't see that post on the 29 th of April. Must have missed it. The fellow from Greenland might be better off with a Vespa scooter. He can put chains on it and show his dogs how to pull a sled. :crazy:

What are you using on your chain for lube now. I'm trying to get a hold of some of the wax based teflon stuff but they don't sell it around here. I am trying chainsaw bar oil for a couple of days now. I got a 1/2 gallon of the winter grade. The summer grade is a lot thicker. That would be best. I found some Tri-flo yesterday at the local hardware. I stuck it under the seat so it's there. Bar oils cheap and it's not hard to brush on.

Good luck with the video. Joe :bye: 
You Keep What you kill

keand3

When you say masters, you are refering to the resorvioir?

I use Castrol Racing chain lube for my chain, its on a spraycan and they know how to overprice them self... But I think the lube is excellent for my use  :good2:
Wax based teflon stuff? Never heard off. Any good? There are endless choises when it comes to lubeing...  :wacko3:

Recorded a hour or so driving yesterday, will try to upload today ;-)

Cheers
Ken

Joe Sull

I thought you replaced both clutch and front brake master cylinders. They don't look stock anyway.

Heres a link to something Capt. Ron wrote about wax based teflon lube for chains. I want to try it.

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=10326.msg99945#msg99945
You Keep What you kill