News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

G'Day from Down Under

Started by moto, February 06, 2014, 03:33:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moto

Hi gents, I'm new to the forum but have been browsing the last few days to try and brush up on some knowledge of these bikes prior to purchase!

There is an 89 FJ1200 down the road from me for sale in Midnight blue and for what seems like good money. It has new tyres, chain, sprocket, discs and pads.  I'm due to look at it on Sunday. It has an aftermarket exhaust from the looks of the pictures plus it seems to be missing the lower belly pan fairing.  The old fella that owns it also states it has 29,000 genuine KM's on it. Great if it checks out  :good:

My question is, what lower fairing is this in the picture of a members bike I found on here and also what seat? Could they be retrofitted to an 89 FJ? I love this look and think the original owner was mad getting rid of it in favour of the all red bike! Horses for courses though.

Thanks for your time,

Steve

The General

:hi: Welcome Moto, where abouts in Aus are ya. The seat is for retro fit, not sure about availability of that particular lower cowling. You`ve probly got some mates here nearby. Check out our Zeemap for member locations too. Got a spare room for ya at our Anniversary Rally in 4 weeeks. G`teed to be worth tha education. :drinks:
`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka

moto

Hello General, I'm on the Sunny Coast too, go figure! (Such an Americanism  (popcorn)). I'm actually Brightwater/Mooloolaba area.  Nice to see there are other Sunny Coast members :)

I'm real keen on that lower fairing if anyone can identify it? Similarly,if you know the seat please let me know so I can factor it into my calculations  :blum1:

Thanks for the help and the welcome(s).

Stevo

Bones

Welcome  Moto, The picture you have is Aviation Fred's bike. I'll let him state what seat and fairing are on it, seeing it's his bike. As for buying the one down the road, depending on price, go for it. They are a comfortable powerful bike with effortless torque that will give you years of trouble free riding provided it's serviced regularly.

Plenty of mods available, that will have your wallet crying.

Tony.
93 fj1200
79 suzuki gt250x7

Too young to be old but old enough to know better.

movenon

Welcome !!!!!!!!!!!!

+1 on what Tony said above. Fred can tell you more about that fairing. They are hard to come by. The bike sounds interesting. And there is a great group of members here. Good on you for asking questions ! Lots of help here and it better to ask first. If you can linl up with a local member and they can help you check the bike out. Here is a link to the Zeemap.

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=724879#

There are a lot more members than are on the map. Some have yet to mark it.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

fjfrench

Hello,

fj you present in early post and one that caught my attention for my final deco
I like the style

aviationfred

Quote from: moto on February 06, 2014, 03:33:41 AM

My question is, what lower fairing is this in the picture of a members bike I found on here and also what seat? Could they be retrofitted to an 89 FJ? I love this look and think the original owner was mad getting rid of it in favour of the all red bike! Horses for courses though.

Thanks for your time,

Steve

Steve,

The seat that is on my 87' is a standard Corbin Gunfighter for the FJ1100/1200. The full lower cowling is made by Lockhart Phillips. Sadly the lowers are no longer produced. The 89' main fairing is not straight across the bottom like the 87' main fairing is. There is another member here that may have a full lower for a 89' that may be for sale.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

moto

Thanks for the welcomes everyone, nice to join such a friendly forum  :yes:  I will take a look at Zeemaps and see who's in the SEQ area.

Cheers for the info Fred, I somehow knew it wouldn't be a simple set-up, it seems to be the case with me for everything I buy! By the way it should clarify, the work you did to your bike was awesome, I just love the black look  :smile:

aviationfred

Thank you Steve,

I can't take credit for the paint. The previous owner painted the bike Satin Black.

I did add the 89' graphics, Corbin seat and the R1 gold dot brake calipers.

Fred

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2

oz.fj

Hey Stevo
Welcome from another sunny coaster :hi:
If we are looking at the same bike, from the pictures it looks in good nick
4into 1 exhaust and the rest looks to be standard.
Nice colour and nice price
Good luck

Darran
89 FJ 1200 Shiny Black
89 FJ 1200 x 3 Red White Silver
92 XR 250
Life is pretty straight without twisties

moto

Hi Fred, it's amazing what some decals and a few bits can do to smarten up a ride. When I read your thread and first saw the black colour I wasn't overly fussed with it, it was only when I saw the picture posted above that I thought it looked awesome!

Hi Darren, most likely the same bike as there are only a couple for sale and only 1 in Midnight Blue.....that I've seen anyway.  The owner seems a little 'temperamental' and short, maybe he's been messed around a bit by other buyers.

I can't get to see it until Sunday so hopefully it's still there :)

fjfrench

Is what you can say or you find the stickers?

fjfrench

I also like the saddle.
you do makes a saddle or is it a homemade?

excuse me but i use a translator :mad:

aviationfred

Quote from: fjfrench on February 07, 2014, 10:53:20 AM
I also like the saddle.
you do makes a saddle or is it a homemade?

excuse me but i use a translator :mad:

Here is a link to the seat manufacturer. http://www.corbin.com/yamaha/8493fj.shtml

These seats do come up on eBay US on occasion. I don't know how common they are in Europe.

Here is a link for the decals. http://www.diablocycle.com/FJ1200-1989-Complete-Decal-Set.html

Fred

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2

fjfrench

thank you very much for the links! Fred
I put it into my favorites

Christian