News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

evening everybody

Started by a.graham52, February 18, 2014, 07:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a.graham52

hows everyone doing. new FJ owner here (bitter sweet moment). iv inherited my fathers 86. what else do you say? its deffnitly in need of some good consistent maintenance. he never was one for regular maitnence. time to change oil when the clutch starts grabbing... that kind of maintenance.

i myself have a 97 B12 with a few bolt ons and carb work. putting out 120hp last summer on the dyno.

my girlfriends got a B400 (44hp on the dyno). photo taken aprox 9 miles from the summit of MT. Washinton.

iv also got a few other projects:

everytime i get something new i make sure i join the most popular forum i can find. i try to keep up to date on the "everybody is doing it" mods.

heres the only pic i have of my fathers bike taken about 5 years ago with my first bike. i do miss the interceptor 500. great little bike.

my plans for the FJ is to get it caught up to my standards of mechanical condition. i know the red plastic is faded. i may replace the "pink" front fender just due manhood. but other then that im thinking of using the FJ for more of touring and two up riding. wheres my B12 i guess will be more of my "hotrod" bike.

FJmonkey

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

movenon

Welcome ! Ask questions anytime. Take some time and scan the files and posts. Lots of good information and help here. Glad the FJ stayed in the family.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

a.graham52

Quote from: movenon on February 18, 2014, 08:33:46 PM
Welcome ! Ask questions anytime. Take some time and scan the files and posts. Lots of good information and help here. Glad the FJ stayed in the family.
George

Scanning I have been! I like the sounds of the "relay mod". Definitely going to do that to all our bikes. Maybe even my truck lol.

FJmonkey

I like the muffler relay mode the most...

a.graham52

FJmonkey

a.graham52

Shitty picture but I picked it up last night to bring it home:

ribbert

Quote from: a.graham52 on April 08, 2014, 06:24:27 AM
Shitty picture but I picked it up last night to bring it home:

No such thing as a shitty photo of a rescued FJ wending it's way to a new home to be restored to its former glory.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

yamaha fj rider

Congrats on getting the FJ. Sorry to hear about your dad. Welcome to the forum.

Kurt
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
YZ250X I still love 2 strokes
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

a.graham52

Thanks. Couple problems I'm aware of with this bike is supposedly rain water gets in the fuel tank. Is that a common concern? Also I know the reserve on the fuel tank is really odd setup. Can someone explain to me how it works?

Joe Sull

Does the "Island of Misfit Toys" have a bridge? WE have a bridge and It's a big one! :yes:
You Keep What you kill

FJmonkey

Quote from: a.graham52 on April 08, 2014, 03:31:29 PM
Thanks. Couple problems I'm aware of with this bike is supposedly rain water gets in the fuel tank. Is that a common concern? Also I know the reserve on the fuel tank is really odd setup. Can someone explain to me how it works?
When the fuel gets low enough a small solenoid in the fuel petcock is activated that cuts off the fuel supply. The solenoid is deactivated when the RESERVE switch changes states. This then allows you run the tank dry.

I have replaced my old 86' fuel petcock when it filed with an 84/85 petcock. It cost less and does not have the RESERVE function of the 86/87.

a.graham52

Quote from: Joe Sull on April 08, 2014, 05:17:35 PM
Does the "Island of Misfit Toys" have a bridge? WE have a bridge and It's a big one! :yes:
Why yes ours has a bridge but it's not as big as yours. Up the coast a little further :)

If u change petcocks, how do you then activate reserve? I haven't even looked at the petcock On the bike. Must have a manual knob or on and off if I had to guess

FJmonkey

Quote from: a.graham52 on April 08, 2014, 08:39:03 PM
If u change petcocks, how do you then activate reserve? I haven't even looked at the petcock On the bike. Must have a manual knob or on and off if I had to guess

The reserve function is lost. It has 2 positions, ON and PRI. In the ON position it is off until the engine is pulling vacuum, then it flows fuel. In the PRI position fuel flow is wide open, good for filling the carbs after some carb work. I don't see any value in the reserve function. In all the years I have been riding I have used the reserve function once. It was my first bike, a long trip and new rider (me). Ever since then, I have been a hawk with the trip meter and always know how much fuel (range remaining) I have. So the fuel gauge is also a waste of space in the FJ dash. Don't get me wrong, I don't knock anyone that likes that stuff, I just don't need it and like what I have always been doing.