News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Moreton bay QLD fj'er

Started by tcat1709, February 25, 2014, 05:17:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcat1709

Hi everyone
thanks for the add to join .
I am in Redcliffe qld and have just purchased another one of these beasts .
I love them and can honestly say they give me long time pleasure :yahoo:
can anyone help me with a few questions please
Firstly my new steel horse is a 1988 fj1200
I am wondering if any other years ,preferably before ,are the same setup .I am looking at retrofitting parts ,fairings,lights etc from a 1985 model.CAN someone please help me with the infinite knowledge on this page.
Will they fit or not .
Thanks and keep rolling on people
best regards
Aussie TCAT
Which way do I go and what is the lap record

ken65

welcome mate, im at bracken ridge,,  ken  mine is a 90 model , 3cv

tcat1709

hey ken thanks for the reply
will have to catch up with you sometime mate
you wouldn't happen to know the answers to any of my questions at all would you
cheers :dash2:

ken65

my understanding is the 88-90 are 1

ken65

sorry, that replied before  i finished, i think you need a parts cat so you can compare part numbers, but having said that there's a lot of people here who know all there is to know about them , good luck... ken

tcat1709

ok no problem . I am onto the parts catalogue now .
thanks again

movenon

Welcome ! As Ken said 88-90 will interchange directly.  Anything is possable in the custom world depending on your talent and ability.  Are you missing stuff or is just broken ?  A lot of parts are repairable but we need more information.   :good2: :drinks:
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

FJmonkey

Welcome TCAT, as mentioned parts can be made to fit with modifications. Not sure if you are asking because you like the look of the early years or happen have the parts in good condition. Seems like you already have an 85' as a donor bike. What is wrong with the 85'?
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

tcat1709

Thanks for the warm welcome.  Thanks heaps guys for the info.  I have the 12 and am looking at buying a 11 for donor but as you have all mentioned ,bit of work involved  . Think I will keep my head up and out there looking for a 12 and play it safe for now. Thanks again all.  Stay safe,stay upright and look forward to talking to you all down the road. .
cheers
tcat out  :good2:

roverfj1200

Welcome TCAT. Quite a few FJ riders here in the SE. Have a 88 myself.

Will catch up sometime

Cheers.

1988 FJ1200
1991 FJ1200

Richard.

Harvy

Hi TCAT...... Harvy here..... live in Brighton and work at Redcliffe.
I ride a pink stripper ('91) tho it has not sported a pink stripe for quite few years now....... also have the remains of a '90 and most of a '93 in pieces in the shed.
'84-5 fairing will not be a direct bolt on, but I'm sure it could be massaged to fit. Headlight is the same shape right thru to '90, but I'm not sure about the mounting points..... indicators changed over time - especially at the front, but once again, some fabrication could see them being used...... rear indicators were the same for all models as far as I know.
Rear bodywork was somewhat different - ie the duck tail grab handles changed - between the 11 and your 88.

Mate, most of the SE Qld crew are heading down to Jindabyne for the 30th Anniversary rally over the course of the next week, so we will have to plan a get together when we get back.

Good to see another local.

Cheers
Harvy
FJZ1 1200 - It'll do me just fine.
Timing has much to do with the success of a rain dance.

aviationfred

Welcome to the group,  :hi: Asking questions on here helps a lot towards repairs/modification. There is a large wealth of knowledge here. Quite a few members are original owners and have encountered almost any problem/issue that there is.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

baldy3853

Tcat welcome aboard enjoy the ride I'm on the northside not far from Harvy's

Lord Baldy