Main Menu

Different Things In Aus

Started by Klavdy, February 28, 2014, 05:45:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klavdy

How you Seppos and Canucks doing?
Settling in?
Good.
There's a few things that are different, some of the most trivial of things can be completely strange at times.
Take the following examples.

Water in Aussie toilets doesn't fill the whole bowl up and nearly all have a twin flush.
Light switches go the opposite way, we swipe down for on.
Taps turn in the opposite direction.
Our shower controls are generally simple, two taps and and what we call a shower rose, sometimes theres a "Flick-Mixer" type single tap.
We don't have mechanical sink or bathtub plugs.
Wait till you drive a car and have to use your left hand to change gears and look up and to the left for the rear view mirror.
That's always fun.
Blokes, when you go to a pub and need a piss, there's a trough, it's all quite matey, no modesty panels in between pissers.
Aussie sodas use cane sugar and taste different to Seppo corn swill ones.
Our electrical sockets have an earth pin and an on/off switch.
Outside faucets are big.

What have you found?

"This guy has got to go. The single most offensive individual I have experienced on the web.
MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

i is a professional website designer, I've built over 100's of sites
And yea I actually get paid for it. about 150 and hour.

The General

Quote from: Klavdy on February 28, 2014, 05:45:10 AM
Settling in?
Good.
There's a few things that are different, some of the most trivial of things can be completely strange at times.

Blokes, when you go to a pub and need a piss, there's a trough, it's all quite matey, no modesty panels in between pissers.

If ya duck inta the Palmwoods pub (Sunshine Coast Hinterland), the urinal trough is see through glass.

One Sunday lunch break, using this amenity, while viewing the entire public lounge area, I took a relaxing deep breath and let her go.
Some bastard mates outside, sprung from somewhere and pointed directly at me old fella and started laughing!
The frontal lobe section of my brain knew it was one way glass, but nobody told me response team down below!....very embarrasing! (basteds!)
`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka

TexasDave

A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

Klavdy

The "Dawn Chorus" in Australia is something most Aussies don't really notice all that much.
It's proven disconcerting to many overseas visitors though, wakes them up wondering what the hell the cacophony is.
The absence of birdsong is quite striking for us Aussies when we visit North America.
Here's a generic Youtube, just as an example.

Australia; Birdsong in my yard

"This guy has got to go. The single most offensive individual I have experienced on the web.

Harvy

Did the little birdies wake Mr bean........ :rofl2:
FJZ1 1200 - It'll do me just fine.
Timing has much to do with the success of a rain dance.

racerrad8

Many little things...

No crosswalks required, just walk across the street where you want.
Aussie "bacon" is as long as the pig stomach and includes what we know as "Canadian bacon"
I have yet to hear a car horn from an angered driver
Nobody talks on the cell while driving
The grocery is full of american products, Kellogs frosted flakes, French's mustard, Heinz ketchup, Ritz crackers...

You guys talk funny...

Although over here, everyone thinks I have an accent.

Still trying to come to grip with "Cannes", which is spelled...Cairns

Randy -RPM
Randy - RPM

roverfj1200

1988 FJ1200
1991 FJ1200

Richard.

ken65

love the magpies, we used to live all alone in the middle of 20 acres, there was 2 groups of magpies ,1 each end of the place in big old blue gums, there were territory fights all the time and in breeding season, anybody walking by our house got attacked, but never us ,  between the 2 groups i dont think we had a lawn grub in the back yard,  it wasn't unusual to see them asleep on the ground with their wings stretched out,,   , ken

Klavdy

Our Auto-Tellers only speak English,there's no Spanish option.

Arnie

Racerrad8 said, "Aussie "bacon" is as long as the pig stomach and includes what we know as "Canadian bacon".

And if you like "Canadian bacon" ask for "middle bacon", especially at the deli counter of Safeway/Woolworths.  Almost no fat rind and frequently about the same price.

Arnie

Klavdy

CanDman

Quote from: Klavdy on February 28, 2014, 05:45:10 AM
Settling in?
Good.
What have you found?

hmmmmm.......one thing I ran into that was certainly not what I expected was this hairless fangless Yowie who was not scary at all.....in fact......I found the beast to be quite lovable after all....... :mocking:

Never regret your choices in life ! There is no way to go back to do it again and compare. Make the most and do your best with every decision you make

movenon

Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200