News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

1984 Yamaha fj600 cafe racer

Started by Aquarocket, March 10, 2014, 01:54:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aquarocket

Recently picked up an 84  Fj600. It's not pretty and needs a lot of work. So Ive decided to say screw restoring it to the original and produce and all new super awesome mono spring, in-line 4, retro/modern dirt tracker style cafe racer. That's the plan anyway. Time, money....and space, shall tell..building it in a storage unit may prove difficult. I have boat load of ideas for the bike and I would love to hear yours . And I'm beginning the tear down tomorrow. I shall keep you updated. I will need a multitude of problems needing solved. Hopefully you all can help!  :good2:
2012 CBR600 RR
1984 Fj600
2006 Yz250F
2007 RM250F

Capn Ron

If restoring the FJ600 is a lost cause, I'm all for it!  Take a few minutes and figure out how to post pictures up here and we'll follow along with the build.  Plenty of great help here...the collective knowledge here is pretty amazing and I'm sure folks will chime in if help is needed.   :good2:

Cap'n Ron. . .
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.

FJmonkey

Welcome Mr. Aquarocket. Not many FJ600 here, in fact one of the recent ones just met with a catastrophic engine failure and will offered up as a parts bike. So you may have some luck finding some needed parts here. Where in the world are you, might help if other members know you are near by. As the Capt'n said, post up pics of your rebuild. Before, during and after. Then bring it to a rally and meet the motley bunch that keeps the FJ alive and the word Kookaloo it's true meaning...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Joe Sull

Are you going to put trials tires on it, like the old flat track racers?

Wecome!
You Keep What you kill

movenon

Welcome !  Post some pictures of your project as you go. Ton's of help here.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

Aquarocket

Good evening all! Thank you got the replies. I'm starting the tear down as we speak. I wish I knew how to post pics from my phone. Ill work in that. I've got pictures saved for next post. I had to make a late night tool run. Cap'n rob
2012 CBR600 RR
1984 Fj600
2006 Yz250F
2007 RM250F

Aquarocket

Sorry I meant I say captan rob I plan on keeping some flare of the original. But I do plan on completely te shaping the beast. I currently am in Portland Oregon FYI 
2012 CBR600 RR
1984 Fj600
2006 Yz250F
2007 RM250F

airheadPete

There are a couple of us up here. (Me: Camas.) there's a member just south of town, (Woodburn?), whose working on getting an FJ600 roadworthy again. (JPerez)

Welcome. :hi:
'92 FJ1200.    '84 R100CS
'78 GS750E.   '81 R100RS
'76 R90/6       '89 R100GS
'65 R60/2

airheadPete

God, I hate bad English!!! It's who's, not whose. My bad, sorry. :flag_of_truce:
'92 FJ1200.    '84 R100CS
'78 GS750E.   '81 R100RS
'76 R90/6       '89 R100GS
'65 R60/2

Aquarocket

I actually picked the bike up from Jperez he's the one who told me about this blog  :good2:he hooked me up with some new fork seals and some other goodies. So I got it torn down I'm just having some trouble getting the carbs off due to some rusty and corroded bolts.

My goal is to get those darn carbs off get em cleaned out and see what we are working with motor wise. The motor "looks" in good order...we shall see about that.... I'm hoping to jerry rig it a little bit to try and get it to fire by next week...hopefully.

I'd really like to post picks on here. Haven't figured that out yet.
2012 CBR600 RR
1984 Fj600
2006 Yz250F
2007 RM250F

rlucas

Quote from: Aquarocket on March 11, 2014, 03:37:40 AM
I actually picked the bike up from Jperez he's the one who told me about this blog...

This isn't a "blog", it's a newsgroup. Blogs are for people who think the general public needs and wants to know about their personal fixation or pet subject. Only slightly above a Facebook page.

<looks in mirror>

Oh, wait.....

rossi
We're not a club. Clubs have rules. Pay dues. Wear hats and shit.

"Y'all might be faster than me, but you didn't have more fun than I did." Eric McClellan (RIP '15)

andyb

Quote from: rlucas on March 11, 2014, 06:13:10 AM

This isn't a "blog", it's a newsgroup. Blogs are for people who think the general public needs and wants to know about their personal fixation or pet subject. Only slightly above a Facebook page.

<looks in mirror>

Oh, wait.....

It's a forum.  Newsgroups trace their roots back further, to a much different interface.

Otherwise it'd be alt.yamahafj1200.lunatics or something.  Never did figure out the nomenclature for that, really.

Aquarocket

Alright Im bracing myself for the Original FJ lovers here. :flag_of_truce:

Ok so I got the pictures. I apologize for the the pics being in the dark. It was my only time to start the project this week. The front faring...yup thats gotta go...Sorry to all the traditional FJ lovers, But i Just can't do it..and the rear tail...yaaaa thats gotta go too.. However I think I'm keeping the tank! I'm surprised it had the styling I was going for when the faring came off. So the first two pics are of the bike in the current condition. And The last pic is a very cafe 1984 fj600 that is pretty badarse! So thats kinda what I'm going for.

2012 CBR600 RR
1984 Fj600
2006 Yz250F
2007 RM250F

Aquarocket

uggh sorry i meant fairing... darn auto corrected me twice
2012 CBR600 RR
1984 Fj600
2006 Yz250F
2007 RM250F

FJscott