News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

85 .fj1100 need help you

Started by phillip35sm, March 17, 2014, 08:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillip35sm

My bike is hard to start have to use starter fluid. It will die if I take of the choke but stays running if it's on half my .ar box is not sealed up proper almost like it's the wrong one plz help what should I do

Dads_FJ

John S.

'84 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'92 Yamaha TDM850
'80 BMW R100S/Sidecar
'81 Yamaha IT250(H)
'77 Yamaha IT175(D)
'39 BSA WM20

FJ_Hooligan

Clean the carbs ...... or sell it.....
DavidR.

FJmonkey

Won't run when the choke is shut off..... Sounds like it has been sitting for a spell. Classic sign of clogged idle jets. Clean the carbs, clean them really well. Or send them to Randy at www.RPMracingca.com and let him do a professional job. Or you could sell it at a reduce cost because it won't run with the choke off. Sounds like you should clean the carbs if you want it run well again.

Oh, almost forgot, welcome to our FJ asylum. If you are gonna stick around you might want to find the introduction section, give us a proper Hello  :hi: and tell us a little more about you and your FJ.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

red

Quote from: phillip35sm on March 17, 2014, 08:18:49 PM
My bike is hard to start have to use starter fluid. It will die if I take of the choke but stays running if it's on half my .ar box is not sealed up proper almost like it's the wrong one plz help what should I do
Phillip,

I'd want to get the airbox set right, first.  It may not be the cause of the problem, but it is hard to believe there will be no problems, if the airbox stuff is not installed correctly.  Check this site,

http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/1985-yamaha-fj1100n-air-filter-assembly.html

for the right OEM parts.  Google is great for finding the correct Part Numbers, although you may be buying on eBay (and there it is Buyer Beware).  To find something like the air filter element, Google for:

Yamaha "36Y-14451-00-00"

with the quotes, to find OEM sellers of any specific Part Number.

Post photos here, for what you find on your bike.

Is it cold there?  In freezing cold, my FJ1100 needs about three to five minutes on half-choke to warm up, then it's good to go, with the choke OFF.

Idle speed should be about 1000 RPM ~1100 RPM for an FJ.  Once the engine is warm, if you can hold that RPM with the throttle, and set the choke to OFF, then all that may be wrong is that your idle speed is set too low.  Cranking up the idle setting to 1100 RPM would be an easy fix.

If the gasoline is old, drain that old junk out of the tank, first thing.  Get a can of Seafoam, and add half a can (8 oz. or 250cc) to the empty tank.  Add gasoline, to fill the tank about 3/4 full.  Run the bike with as much choke as needed for five minutes, and then just let it sit for a day or two.  Seafoam is magic stuff. but it may need a while, to do the job.  Let us know, if any of this advice helps or not.

Drop in at the Introductions forum here, and tell us a bit about yourself.  Oddly enough, a lot more people will be here to help, if you do.

Cheers,
Red
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

mr blackstock

Hello, Phillip,

I see you are one of the lucky ones to get an '85 FJ1100!  How lucky are you! :empathy3:

Before you are inducted into the darkest arts of "getting to know your FJ"....
Consider for a moment why there are so few 85' FJ's around?  Could it be because Satan recalled them all back into hell? :diablo: 

Could it be a secret society has been trolling the darkest corners of the earth seeking every last 85' FJ to drive a metal stake through their fickle four cylinder heart? :diablo:

In the months to come when you are stretched on the floor either chasing that screw that you always drop while holding half the frame together, or clutching your hand as blood drips down your arm as you look for what the hell lept out and bit you?

Remember, you were warned..... :diablo:

Run Forest! Run
Squeaky wheels always get the grease...

Yamaha FJ1100 1985

Tiger

:hi: The best year of FJ...in my humble, seemingly biased, opinion  :rofl2: :rofl: :lol:... :biggrin:

Strip, clean and sync' the carbs buddy and your '85 will give ya the ride of yer life...yeeeeeeha :good2:

John.
ps Don't forget mr blackstocks warning muhawhawhaw... :wacko3:
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in an attractive & well preserved body...but rather to slide in sideways, body completely worn out and and with your last dying breath screaming, "HOOOYA LIFE, lets try that again"!!!

poker007

Quote from: mr blackstock on March 19, 2014, 12:07:40 PM
Hello, Phillip,

I see you are one of the lucky ones to get an '85 FJ1100!  How lucky are you! :empathy3:

Before you are inducted into the darkest arts of "getting to know your FJ"....
Consider for a moment why there are so few 85' FJ's around?  Could it be because Satan recalled them all back into hell? :diablo: 

Could it be a secret society has been trolling the darkest corners of the earth seeking every last 85' FJ to drive a metal stake through their fickle four cylinder heart? :diablo:

In the months to come when you are stretched on the floor either chasing that screw that you always drop while holding half the frame together, or clutching your hand as blood drips down your arm as you look for what the hell lept out and bit you?

Remember, you were warned... :diablo:

Run Forest! Run

Does anyone  know how many 1985 FJ 1100 were sold ? :good2:
1980 GT80( dirt) gone 1979 IT250  ( have)
1975 MX400(dirt) gone
1979 RD400 gone
1980 KZ1000st/ shattered right arm/ (ouch) gone thank GOD!
1995 FZR600 ( missed @gone)
1985 FJ1100 (TEL DEATH; DO WE PART)

kawabob1

Hmmm perhaps I should have run too but I think I was on the end of the long line when smarts were being handed out. The '85 sure has its quirks but I love her anyway. Take the other members advice. If its been sitting with old gas that spells trouble. The carbs should be taken apart. Berryman carb cleaner is cheap at 20.00 for a gallon and it has its own dipping basket. If you don't have a manual yet get one, it will become your bible. I have had good results with Sea Foam gas treatment over the last 2 years since I rebuilt my carbs. You will get all the help here you need and then some, welcome to the madness  :wacko2:
Look the grim reaper right in the eye...and say....someday......but not today! Life is short, live it well!