News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Need help diagnosing a problem

Started by Targan, March 29, 2014, 06:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Targan

Too many people to reply to so look for the answer to your question here!
Zwartie, thank you, I  will do that for now on! I always thought the kill switch was proper procedure.

Simi Ed: I owned the bike for 2 weeks, problem just seemed to spring up over night. However, we did have a Dust Storm that I rode for 5 minutes in, but the issue happened 2 days after. Bike has been untouched since I bought it.

FJ1289: I honestly couldn't tell, it's just a meter that says "Rich" on top and "Lean" on bottom with an electronic led bar that moves up and down. I'm also upgrading the battery soon to a Shorai lithium.

Pat Conlon

....and throw those K&N's away...as far as you can throw them....

Report back and let us know what the shop finds..
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Targan

Woohoo! She's all fixed up. My mechanic said the vacuum lines (for the fuel pump I assume?) were all rotted out and my spark plugs were toast from running lean because of the vacuum leak. Ontop of that he cleaned up some of my bike for free (awesome dude). My bike is once again screaming down the highway and I can enjoy the kookaloo again!  :dance2: I just wish I had my own garage, the bike would feel more personal and special to me if I could work on it myself lol.

movenon

Glad you they got it sorted out for you. 
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

Pat Conlon

No vacuum lines to the fuel pump. Must be something else...

Did the mechanic say where your oil leak was coming from?

Glad it's all sorted. Buy that mechanic a pizza and a 6 pack.

Ride Well...... Pat
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

simi_ed

Congrats!  Always good to hear another FJ is on the road.  Enjoy.

Ed
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

red

Quote from: Targan on April 03, 2014, 07:00:22 PMWoohoo! She's all fixed up. My mechanic said the vacuum lines (for the fuel pump I assume?) were all rotted out and my spark plugs were toast from running lean because of the vacuum leak. Ontop of that he cleaned up some of my bike for free (awesome dude). My bike is once again screaming down the highway and I can enjoy the kookaloo again!  :dance2: I just wish I had my own garage, the bike would feel more personal and special to me if I could work on it myself lol.
Targan,

Glad to hear that the problem was fixed.  What year FJ do you have there?  The early FJ bikes do not have a fuel pump, but they do have a fuel petcock that is opened only by engine vacuum.  If the vacuum hose to the petcock goes bad on one of those bikes, it usually won't even run.  As it is, that sounds like a good fix, and fairly cheap.  Yeah, you should buy the mechanic a pizza, or lunch, or his favorite poison.
   :good2: 

Cheers,
Red
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Targan

Quote from: red on April 03, 2014, 09:33:13 PM
Quote from: Targan on April 03, 2014, 07:00:22 PMWoohoo! She's all fixed up. My mechanic said the vacuum lines (for the fuel pump I assume?) were all rotted out and my spark plugs were toast from running lean because of the vacuum leak. Ontop of that he cleaned up some of my bike for free (awesome dude). My bike is once again screaming down the highway and I can enjoy the kookaloo again!  :dance2: I just wish I had my own garage, the bike would feel more personal and special to me if I could work on it myself lol.
Targan,

Glad to hear that the problem was fixed.  What year FJ do you have there?  The early FJ bikes do not have a fuel pump, but they do have a fuel petcock that is opened only by engine vacuum.  If the vacuum hose to the petcock goes bad on one of those bikes, it usually won't even run.  As it is, that sounds like a good fix, and fairly cheap.  Yeah, you should buy the mechanic a pizza, or lunch, or his favorite poison.

Cheers,
Red

I have an 89. That's good to know! That's probably what he was refering to.
I treat my mechanic well, always tip ontop of cost of repair (cause he does more than I ask), and I've brought him a lot of business from my friends. We need more people like him in this world lol.

I actually havent seen any oil on the ground yet. I never mentioned the leak to him cause it was so small i figured ill just wait till my next payday. No idea if he fixed that too without telling me lol.

red

Quote from: Targan on April 03, 2014, 10:51:45 PM
Quote from: red on April 03, 2014, 09:33:13 PM
Quote from: Targan on April 03, 2014, 07:00:22 PMWoohoo! She's all fixed up. My mechanic said the vacuum lines (for the fuel pump I assume?) were all rotted out and my spark plugs were toast from running lean because of the vacuum leak.
Targan,
Glad to hear that the problem was fixed.  What year FJ do you have there?  The early FJ bikes do not have a fuel pump, but they do have a fuel petcock that is opened only by engine vacuum.    :good2: 
Cheers,
Red
I have an 89. That's good to know! That's probably what he was refering to.
Targan,

Okay, the '89 does have a fuel pump, and a fuel filter.  No matter, though, because any ratty vacuum hoses can spell trouble. 
If fuel starvation happens again, the fuel filter will be the first place to look.

Cheers,
Red
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Doity Eddie

Cheers,
Red
[/quote]
Oooo, that might be my problem with my '86.  When hot, it just will not start.  Zapped it with starting fluid and it starts.  I am assuming that when the engine is running, it creates enough vacuum to pull  the petcock open.
Starts a bit hard when cold too, but does start.  So, perhaps the vac hose is swelling it's leak open when hot.... :bye2:

FJmonkey

Quote from: Doity Eddie on June 03, 2014, 10:58:49 AM
Oooo, that might be my problem with my '86.  When hot, it just will not start.

Crack the throttle open about an 1/8 when cranking. It helps my hot starts... #40 pilots also helped, less lean at start up...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

andyb

So, perhaps the vac hose is swelling it's leak open when hot..

We don't want to hear about your hose swelling.

:bomb:

ribbert

.....So, perhaps the vac hose is swelling it's leak open when hot.... :bye2:

Vacuum hose collapses on itself when hot, it's vacuum hose.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

rlucas

Quote from: andyb on June 04, 2014, 12:52:02 AM
So, perhaps the vac hose is swelling it's leak open when hot..

We don't want to hear about your hose swelling.

:bomb:

Speak for yourself.

rossi
We're not a club. Clubs have rules. Pay dues. Wear hats and shit.

"Y'all might be faster than me, but you didn't have more fun than I did." Eric McClellan (RIP '15)