News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Jnimbostratus Street Fighter Project

Started by jnimbostratus, March 31, 2014, 09:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldktmdude

Sounds like the PO may have been a bit heavy handed tightening some of the fasteners, stressed the bolts and now your paying the price. Makes you think twice before attempting even simple repairs. Very frustrating! Best of luck with anymore mods and repairs.  Pete.  :ireful:
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

ribbert

Quote from: oldktmdude on August 15, 2014, 04:55:06 AM
   Sounds like the PO may have been a bit heavy handed tightening some of the fasteners, stressed the bolts and now your paying the price.

Quote from: jnimbostratus on August 14, 2014, 08:44:33 PM
got the broken valve cover bolt out of the cam retainer but the when reinstalling said cam retainer one of the 2 bolts snapped. and just like the valve cover bolt it was hardly snug.

Sounds like the PO used the old "racer's rule of thumb"

Noel

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

jnimbostratus

well, i got the motor all squared back away with a a little drilling and tapping. installed my home made "petcock" and put fuel in the check for leaks. it did not leak so i put it on the bike and fired it up. definitely solved all of my fuel starvation problems by not having a shot ass 30 yr old petcock that was clogged up with several layers of tank liners. then i took it down the road and this thing is a true animal. especially with the gearing im running.

FJmonkey

No Kookaloo hump on the back of that seat... When I twist the wrist my ass slides back and hits the back of my seat. I hope you remember to pucker up and not slip off that cocktail napkin you have for a seat. It looks really cool, just worries me when the FJ is used for what it is really good at.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Steve_in_Florida

Quote from: FJmonkey on August 17, 2014, 06:15:18 PM

...I hope you remember to pucker up and not slip off that cocktail napkin you have for a seat.

So sayeth the Monkey!

...and under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you shine it up with Armor All.
The only thing contacting the bike would be your hands on the grips, and your pucker will be sucking air!   :shok:

Steve
`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

jnimbostratus

took the bike to work today its only about 2 miles from the shop but still felt nice to take it somewhere. this was really the first time i got on it with a little aggression and the low end torque was great but it was a little flat on top. so i got back to the shop after work and raised the needles by moving the clips down one groove and wow what a difference. i have done a decent amount of carb tuning on all different types of bikes atvs etc. and i have never seen a single needle clip position make this much of difference in power. tomorrow i will try another and see if it gets even better.

jnimbostratus

Put a couple hundred mile since I registered it on Wednesday and wow. What a good time.

jnimbostratus

Ordered some goods today on my phone while on the toilet at work... the 47 tooth Rear sprocket that was stock equipment on the Suzuki wheel is just not what the bike wants. I'm sure you guys understand. Bike makes plenty of inexplicable low end torque. Got a 42 tooth coming in the mail. Should be able to utilize the broad curve this thing offers once this sprocket is installed. Its crazy the way this motor has been described in terms of delivery and response is exactly how it is. Lol even tho I have the chopped to nothing exhaust most people would say offers nothing.

jnimbostratus

put about 1000 miles on it so decided time to change the oil an filter and fuel filter.

jnimbostratus

also i put a 13$ digital tach from ebay on the bike and as a suspected i had been short shifting it. i thought i was close to redline without the tach but i was only just breaking 7000. the chopped exhaust makes it very deceiving. so after taking it up past 8500 rpm this thing is even more impressive then i had originally believed. need to find some kind of 1/4 turn throttle feels like this one takes a full 360 to reach wfo hopefully somewhere i can just find a different throttle tube to fit in the stock switchblock. if anyone knows anything that would would work it would be greatly appreciated.

o-town

Cool bike man, been following on customfighters and here as we've been building ours at the same time.

Came in here to ask: Does anyone know the ratio of the FJ tach? I need one for mine (only speedo at the time).

This is what i've done:

let me know if you want me to remove the pics, not here to jack your thread.  :drinks:

FJmonkey

Looks like you need to start your own thread.... Welcome FNG.. Make an introduction, tell us more about our new member.... Modded FJ's are welcome here...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

bigdrunk

Can I ask where/how you've hidden all the wiring?

jnimbostratus

my wiring is not hidden. its non existant. wired it from scratch using only bare minimal to make it function.