News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Jnimbostratus Street Fighter Project

Started by jnimbostratus, March 31, 2014, 09:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jnimbostratus

Also main reason this bikes progress has been slow is because I built a quad. A raptor660 with an fzr600 engine. It's basically done and I have ridden it and it's a effing blast fastest and most fun I have ridden. If anyone is interested here's the link for that thread

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114018

jnimbostratus

Anyone here have any experience with megasquirt or microsquirt? If so I have a few questions that Google can't seem to answer for me. I'm wondering if I can piggyback the stock tci with the microsquirt in order to retarded timing based on boost. What is the signal from the stock pickup into the stock tci?

fj1289

Quote from: jnimbostratus on December 23, 2015, 07:40:37 PM
Anyone here have any experience with megasquirt or microsquirt? If so I have a few questions that Google can't seem to answer for me. I'm wondering if I can piggyback the stock tci with the microsquirt in order to retarded timing based on boost. What is the signal from the stock pickup into the stock tci?

I'm pretty sure you can't "piggyback" the stock ignition system like that.   You should be able to do a "fuel only" install using the stock ignition system.   Or you can do a full up "fuel and spark" install.   Setting up the ignition is easy and can make good use of junk yard parts if you want.   I sourced an XJR trigger wheel and pickup from Randy.   I can give you the microsquirt ignition settings to get you started.   You'll want to use "logic level" coils with the microsquirt setup.   Logic level coils use a 5 volt signal from the ECU to trigger vice a 12 volt like conventional coils.   Essentially each coil is an individual self contained electronic ignition system - so the ECU just has to tell it when to fire instead of having to power the coil. 

I'm using four Chevy "LS1" coils and they are plenty healthy.   The "Truck" coils are hotter still - and will fire off pretty much ANYTHING you'll throw at them - especially on an FJ (wouldn't imagine you're going for more than 30 # of boost on nitromethane...!)

Then the sky is the limit for what you want to do with ignition timing - complete 3D mapped ignition throughout your rev and boost range.   Plus additional ignition settings for retard if you want to add a stage of nitrous for additional intercooling or quick spooling, anti-lag settings for launch, etc.   

jnimbostratus

Thanks for your input I was hoping to be able to piggy back the stock tci so I could use the stock coils knowing that the the microsquirt has no onboard coil drivers I was thinking maybe I could just use the tci inline as an igniter by putting the 0-5v logic level output from the microsquirt to the pickupcoil input on the tci and basically just utilize the tci coil drivers. I guess at this point in the bikes live if I have to spend some more $ on a set of lsx coils then it is what it is.

Fuel only ms setup on a custom turbo bike is something I just couldn't do knowing the ms has the ability to do both. I have done loads of research on the ms. Like years worth but not much info on the web about what I was trying to do with the tci. I'm still going back and forth about my plan for a pickup. Were you happy with your setup? And if your willing to share I would love a copy of your msq. You use tuner studio or megatune? Also what's your setup? Naturally aspirated or forced induction? What map sensor? Might be easier just to look at a build thread if you have one lol. Btw happy holidays .

jnimbostratus

Also did the fjr pickup direct fit or require machining? I just looked at them on eBay and if it's a direct fit I will go that route. If I requires modification I will prob opt for something with better resolution.

fj1289

Ok - I understand now -- you're basically looking to use the FJ TCI as a coil driver. 

The key to this is going to be determining what type of signal the TCI requires and how it triggers.   

You will need to determine if the TCI can work with the microsquirt 5 volt output.  If not, then build a circuit to convert the 5 volt output to something the TCI understands.   Anyone know what type of input signal the TCI will respond to?

Either way, you'll need a trigger wheel.  The fuel injected XJR (NOT FJR) is a direct bolt on.  It needs to be the multi-toothed wheel from a fuel injected XJR - it is a "24-2" wheel.  The pickups and plate are the same as a late model FJ. 

If you do get it going on the TCI you can set the timing 15 degrees retarded.  Then fill the ignition table with 15 anywhere you want the stock curve, and then increase or decrease the value by the amount you want to change from the stock FJ curve. 

There is probably a 4 cylinder coil pack that would work well too - maybe dodge neon or vw?  If you find a stock one the turbo guys are using successfully it would be cheaper than the LSx coils and may be easier to find space for.  There are probably dual spark packs with just two coils in the pack already set up for wasted spark. 

- Chris

jnimbostratus

Yea you got it. We are on the same page I'm just having a hard time finding what the signal to the tci is. It would be beautiful if it could just interpret the 5v from the microsquirt.

jnimbostratus

I have looked the internet up and down and can't find a 24-2 ignition rotor for xjr. I think one of us may be confused. I think gsxr1300 is 24-2.

fj1289

Quote from: jnimbostratus on December 28, 2015, 03:17:17 PM
I have looked the internet up and down and can't find a 24-2 ignition rotor for xjr. I think one of us may be confused. I think gsxr1300 is 24-2.

I can't find a picture o the timing plate online either.  If you download this XJR manual ( http://www.xjr.se/Links-filer/Servicemanualer/5WM-28197-E0[1].pdf )  - page 3-4 has a good drawing of what it looks like.  As far as I know, 2007 was the first year of the fuel injected XJR1300.   The timing plate is 24-2 configuration.  I originally tried a 24-1 wheel I adapted to the FJ crank and ignition pickup.  It worked, but would sometimes have synch problems - both while starting and occasionally while running.   Randy sourced the XJR rotor for me and it's been solid since then.   When I went from the microsquirt-module based plug & play ECU for a Hayabusa to the microsquirt I did have to add a resistor across the pickup wires to get a good signal.

Hope that helps -- I'd recommend getting with Randy for the XJR ignition rotor / timing plate.   

jnimbostratus

Thanks for insight. I was able to find a pic of the xjr trigger wheel but it was on a random European oem parts website. Happen to have any measurements on it by chance? I'm thinking of going with a universal 36-1 or similar but the smallest I find is 4 inch.

fj1289

Quote from: jnimbostratus on December 29, 2015, 10:11:59 PM
Thanks for insight. I was able to find a pic of the xjr trigger wheel but it was on a random European oem parts website. Happen to have any measurements on it by chance? I'm thinking of going with a universal 36-1 or similar but the smallest I find is 4 inch.

If you don't want to go with the XJR trigger wheel - I started with a 24-1 from a ZX636.  You have to open up the center hole to fit the FJ crank.  Then you have to drill a small hole for the locating pin.  The pickup has to moved outboard a few mm to clear the trigger wheel - which in turn requires the cover to be notched to clear the pickup.  While the 24-1 configuration worked, I later filed off a second tooth to make a 24-2.  That gave a more consistent signal. 

racerrad8

Quote from: fj1289 on December 29, 2015, 02:54:45 PM
Randy sourced the XJR rotor for me and it's been solid since then.

Hope that helps -- I'd recommend getting with Randy for the XJR ignition rotor / timing plate.   

I will get you a photo of the XJR EFI rotor and P/U coil this week, I have to did my EFI bike out of the corner to get a photo.

I will have more of the rotors hopefully by late January or February. I believe I have plenty of P/U coils.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

jnimbostratus

I ordered a bosch 044 fuel pump, iat sensor, coolant temp sensor, injector pigtails, and a gm 3 bar map sensor. Only thing left to do is finish weld the intake plenum and get the microsquirt. Oh and I forgot I need to figure out a fuel return to the tank. I think I might try an do a return line to the gas cap not sure yet.

Arnie

Would it be reasonable to use the "overfill" hose connection as your return?
Maybe put a NO solenoid valve inline to still allow it to function as an overfill when ignition is OFF and have the valve close when the ign is ON.
Upon further reflection, it wouldn't work unless you re-routed the pipe from the cap area to the tank or at least put a hole into the tube internal to the tank for the returned fuel to flow into the tank.

Arnie

Quote from: jnimbostratus on January 17, 2016, 06:25:29 PM
I ordered a bosch 044 fuel pump, iat sensor, coolant temp sensor, injector pigtails, and a gm 3 bar map sensor. Only thing left to do is finish weld the intake plenum and get the microsquirt. Oh and I forgot I need to figure out a fuel return to the tank. I think I might try an do a return line to the gas cap not sure yet.

Pat Conlon

When he experimented with EFI Steve Conklin welded a fitting on the bottom of his tank for the return line.

RPM's EFI has a clever fuel return design where the return line does not go to the tank. If my memory serves, the return line goes back to the fuel filter housing, so no tank modification is needed.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3