News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Jnimbostratus Street Fighter Project

Started by jnimbostratus, March 31, 2014, 09:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fj1289

Quote from: Pat Conlon on January 17, 2016, 09:09:16 PM
When he experimented with EFI Steve Conklin welded a fitting on the bottom of his tank for the return line.

RPM's EFI has a clever fuel return design where the return line does not go to the tank. If my memory serves, the return line goes back to the fuel filter housing, so no tank modification is needed.

I chose to ditch the fuel gauge and fabricated a small square panel with a return fitting to bolt in its place.

Also, I found I needed a surge tank (old 9 oz CO2 bottle) to keep the high pressure pump from sucking air - especially with the tank less than half full.  The fuel filter housing on Randy's setup serves the same purpose.  The return line from the fuel pressure regulator still goes to the surge tank, but I've also added a tank return line from the top of the surge bottle to make sure I didn't get any trapped air in the surge tank. 

Chris

giantkiller

That I would like to see pictures of.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

jnimbostratus

I totally forgot I already made a fuel gauge block off plate I will just modify that for a return line. I sure hope I don't end up needing a surge tank because my bike literally has no room for anything. Its going to be a chore just to get the fuel pump to mount, it's twice the size of the low pressure pump I was using. Plus I need to mount the microsquirt somewhere. On a positive note I read the entire mega manuel again and my understanding is the logic level output signal is equivalent to the output of the pickup so I should be able to piggyback the stock tci unit to run stock timing curve with a boost retard. Initially I will be running just fuel. Finally ordered the microsquirt today so updates are sure to come in the next few weeks. Thanks to all the people that have provided feedback to help me get this thing along.

fj1289

Quote from: giantkiller on January 23, 2016, 06:44:29 PM
That I would like to see pictures of.

Pics of the 4.5 oz CO2 bottle being used as a surge tank.

Cut off valve flush with top of bottle.  then drilled and tapped for a 90 degree fitting.  Very short hose directly to the MSD high pressure pump. 

Top view showing the tank return line on top and two connections on the side - one return from the fuel pressure regulator; the other is the feed from the petcock. 

racerrad8

Quote from: racerrad8 on January 03, 2016, 06:18:54 PM
Quote from: fj1289 on December 29, 2015, 02:54:45 PM
Randy sourced the XJR rotor for me and it's been solid since then.

Hope that helps -- I'd recommend getting with Randy for the XJR ignition rotor / timing plate.    

I will get you a photo of the XJR EFI rotor and P/U coil this week, I have to did my EFI bike out of the corner to get a photo.

I will have more of the rotors hopefully by late January or February. I believe I have plenty of P/U coils.

Randy - RPM

The receipt of the rotors today reminded me I never took a photo of it on my bike. With this rotor you use the XJR pick-up coil assy.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

jnimbostratus

Thanks Randy for now I am trying to get it running with stock rotor and pickups to the microsquirt and piggyback the stock tci. Just trying to figure out what wire go's where from the pickups to the microsquirt.

jnimbostratus

http://scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com/t50.2886-16/12698071_179862332380582_13171007_n.mp4

Update time. She Fired up first try, but would turn off after a few seconds but I literally only had the map sensor hooked up. So a few days after I finished welding the manifold together with the iat bung and hooked my wideband up then after screwing with the tps sensor calibration since this was not hooked up yet either and tweaking the coldstart settings cuz no temp sensor hooked up either I was able to get a smooth idle and clean revs out of it. I had no interest in doing anything further till all the sensors are in place and the new injectors are installed. A set of 680cc came in the mail today. Hope to be test driving in a few weeks.

Arnie

fj1289

jnimbostratus

I used the 4 cbr1000rr TBs post manifold instead of one large TB pre manifold

fj1289

Quote from: jnimbostratus on February 10, 2016, 05:28:07 PM
I used the 4 cbr1000rr TBs post manifold instead of one large TB pre manifold

That should've been obvious!

Cant wait to see this one running in anger again!

jnimbostratus

Got it running pretty good but my wideband finally stoped working completely so no more tuning till it gets replaced then I will give the ve analyze live to get it smoothed out. On a very rough sloppy tune it already revs much faster and crisper then it ever did with carbs.

fj1289

Awesome!   :good2:

I had issues with VE Analyze Live -- mostly due to my outdated laptops not having enough computing power -- I'd usually end up with a blue screen of death.   What I did find very helpful was datalogging and after the ride running it thru VE Analyze.   "Easy" setting for only one or two rides -- then "Hard" or "Very Hard"  for subsequent tuning.   And always try to smooth out your table - shouldn't have large peaks or valleys.   That is where ANY automatic tuning algorithm (not just Tuner Studio and mega/microsquirt) fails -- the peaks and valleys tend to create errors in adjoining cells that only serves to make the peaks and valleys worse. 

I also found that rather than trying to "hit the whole table" -- you get better results by trying to focus on a couple "points" to get a very good high-confidence solution for those.  For example, try to ride up and down several Billy sections of road holding 3000 RPM in various gears.   This should help you really nail down good values at that speed for various loads.  Loads you dont get can be extrapolated with a good degree of confidence and safety.   Next time out try 5000 RPM, etc.  This will get you to a good VE table a lot quicker than doing a bunch of "dynamic" riding all over the table each time out.   

These two things can make street tuning a VE table a 2 or 3 day affair vice a weeks long ordeal chasing your tail.....DAMHIK!

fj1289

Quote from: jnimbostratus on February 14, 2016, 03:51:38 PM
Got it running pretty good but my wideband finally stoped working completely so no more tuning till it gets replaced then I will give the ve analyze live to get it smoothed out. On a very rough sloppy tune it already revs much faster and crisper then it ever did with carbs.

Which wideband are you using?  Is it the controller?  Or just the sensor that took a dump?

jnimbostratus

It's the controller but I think I'm due for a new sensor also. It was the cheapest one I could find at the time apsx d2 I knew it wouldn't last when I bought it but it served it's purpose to dial in the carbs now it's time for a new setup. I think I'm going to get another cheap one for temporary then put it on my fzr600quad after I buy a good one.