News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Jnimbostratus Street Fighter Project

Started by jnimbostratus, March 31, 2014, 09:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jnimbostratus

Most recent results from a few days ago. Can hear that turbo spinning pretty good with no load on it. Probably cuz it's still pig rich.

http://scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com/t50.2886-16/12730854_1663707847227472_386891874_n.mp4

jnimbostratus

I have put some miles on the bike datalogging and tuning and I honestly never expected such dramatic increase in performance at the same boost. I thought this bike was powerful before but now it really is just nutty even with a sloppy tune. I'm having some idle and light cruise issues I havnt been able to tune out so I broke down and ordered a trigger wheel from a zx6 off eBay.

fj1289

awesome!  Good to hear the turbo really likes the FI.  Once you get the ignition controlled with the microsquirt you'll be able to add in some timing off boost (assuming you have the vacuum advance disconnected now) and have it more responsive off boost and possibly come into boost sooner. 

jnimbostratus

Saturday I got the 24-1 wheel fitted along with the Kawasaki sensor to match. Tach signal in tuner studio during cranking is much more stable now. Have 4 ls2 coils coming in the mail should be up and running again this upcoming weekend.

fj1289

Sweet!  You will really like the amount of control this gives you without "fighting" some other aspect of the ignition system. 

Also for the Launch mode - you can use the soft rev limit settings for anti-lag.

Where do you plan to mount the coils?  I think Randy mounted them on a plate attached to the rear tank mount -- there is a surprising amount of room there under the rear of the tank.  I made a mount and put them in the same general area as the stock coils - and that lets me use the stock suppression wires that came with the coils.  The pics of the mounts may be on my old phone - can't find them now.

Chris

jnimbostratus

There may be alot of room in that location on most fjs but mine is super crammed lol. My battery sits directly below the rest tank mount along with my starter solenoid key fuel pump and about 30 other things. I will prob try to mount them where you did. I am looking forward to the level of control for off boost performance and spooling purposes as well as onboost detnation control but I have to admit I will miss the ability to adjust my lower rpm limit 2 step with the handlebar mounted rotary dial. But I have a plan to remedy that.

fj1289

Found the pic:

Took quite a bit of fitting to make sure I could disconnect each coil without having to unbolt it and making sure the factory lead would reach the plug.  [Now I think about it -- maybe not so important to be able to unplug the coils without unbolting them first.]  I also kept the mounting strip solid and spaced the coils off of it rather than notching the mounting strip. 

jnimbostratus

https://www.instagram.com/p/BC3-yS1EFCH/

Running on the ls2 coils microsquirt now controlling fuel and ignition. Time to get everything cleaned up and tucked away and throw another 10 pounds of boost at it.

Big shout out to fj1289 for all the help getting the ignition side of the megasquirt sorted and providing me his tune file to use as a base. Good man.

Bones

Well, at least you know your rev limiter works. Sounds great, love the turbo whistle.
93 fj1200
79 suzuki gt250x7

Too young to be old but old enough to know better.

jnimbostratus

Yea I had the hard limit set to 8500 rpm in that video just making sure it's working properly.

fj1289

Sounds good!  Thought you the 2-step set up - didn't realize it was the rev limiter! 

Have you started mapping for boost?

jnimbostratus

Yea my fuel map in boost is pretty good at the moment. I come into boost around 12.3 afr and maintains 11.5-11.8 afr through boost peaking at 10 psi. That was on the stock ignition with the sensor plate retarded about 8 degrees. Made sick power like that. sence then I took your timing table and modified it for boost, over 100kpa I'm pulling about 1.1 degree per psi. Havnt ridden it like this yet tho. I'm going to tear everything back apart and get everything cleaned up and tucked before riding it again. I mounted the coils near the stock location still attached to the truck bracket, fit snuggly slightly offset to one side for plug wire to valve cover clearance.

jnimbostratus

Been having some problems with fuel system where pressure just drops real low so times all the way to 0. I think a surge tank would be the answer but I literally have no room for one so I think I may try a small online low pressure pump an see if that helps.

fj1289

That was some of the same issues I had when I'd get below a half tank or so.    For a while I went with a low pressure pump to the surgery tank and then to the high pressure pump.   Now I'm just running gravity feed to the surge tank before the high pressure pump and I haven't had any issues.

For carbs the float bowls act like surge tanks for the times the fuel pickup is uncovered momentarily.   With the high pressure pump, it loses pressure like you've experienced.  You need some kind of a reservoir of fuel to feed the high pressure pump even if there is a momentary loss of fuel feed.  I don't think a low pressure pump inliine will help -- but a surge tank not much bigger than the low pressure pump just may. 

Get creative for the surge "tank".   Replace a section of line going to the pump with a piece of larger diameter line or tubing or pipe to add some volume.   Reposition the high pressure pump under the swingarm and run large diameter hose to it.  Then plumb your FPR return to the " top" of the larger feed hose.   Or put a small tank where the pump is now and then continue down to under the swingarm.  

Make sure you get a consistent fuel supply to the pump -- you'll be amazed how quickly you will burn one out by sucking air on occasion - DAMHIK!