News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Jnimbostratus Street Fighter Project

Started by jnimbostratus, March 31, 2014, 09:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

groome

the more i watch this thread the more i fall in love with that bike. awesome build  :good2:
89  fj12 banshee

Normal = BORING

jnimbostratus

Well. Since my last post a put alot of very fun mileson the bike and then a few weeks ago cylinder 1 rings let go i believe, unfortunately a few weeks before that my father got sick and we had to close our shop so no place to tear her apart. Fortunatly i am under contract to buy a house that has a suitable shop on property so i can assure a rebuild in the relatively near future.

Mark Olson

there ya go, always gotta have a place to wrench on the FJ. :dance:
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

jnimbostratus

I have been looking at these big bore kits on ebay they come pre sleeved and everything ready to assemble i eas told the biggest i could go on my 1100 without crankcase cleanup was 1197. If im going bigger i want much bigger. Is the case modification a precision operation or simply removing material? I havnt had my cases open in a few years now and im struggling to envision it. In a perfect world i would see undameged cylinder bores when i pull it apart and just buy a set of stock bore low compression pistons and just throw more boost at it but all the research i have done could not find such a thing so im considering big bore slightly bumped comp and keep the boost under 12psi. I dont know fellas give me your thoughts, help me remotivate my passion for this bike.

Edit: mybad i reread the email the largest kit without case mod is 1297. i think i may be able to live with a 1300turbo.

aviationfred

I have installed the 1297cc Andrews Motorsports big bore kit. It is truly a drop in kit. I run 91 octane pump gas with no problems and no noticeable increase in engine heat. I have over 7500 miles on the pistons and it runs great.

As far as adding a turbo to it, I would give Andrews Motorsports a call and talk to Curt Andrews about the specifics.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

jnimbostratus

How was the performance increase with that kit? I emailed andrews through ebay asking if low comprrssion was available they responded saying they could mill down the pistons that come with the kit, but if your telling me you are having no additional heat im not to concerned especially considering the size intercooler i am running and the abbility to retard timing under boost with the mrgasquirt.

aviationfred

My engine was consuming 1 quart in 400 miles and was still able to lift the front wheel in a 1st gear roll on using 18/38 gearing. With the 1300 pistons, I can get the front wheel off the ground in 3rd.

Fred

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2

fj1289

Which  cylinder blocks is Andrews using for those kits?  For you turbo I think I'd want the Siamese XFR block with the thickest steel sleeves you could find.    Along with XJR rods.  Build it STRONG and let it eat!

aviationfred

To the best of my knowledge, the blocks that are used in the 1195, 1250, and 1297 kits are re-sleeved FJ blocks.

Fred

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2

giantkiller

1289 was that a typo.xfr? Mine is supposed to be an xjr cylinder.From Hank Scott in my 1350.
I do have an APE block, and a Wisco block. Both are billet aluminum.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

fj1289

Quote from: giantkiller on October 07, 2016, 12:58:17 PM
1289 was that a typo.xfr? Mine is supposed to be an xjr cylinder.From Hank Scott in my 1350.

Yes - should have been XJR block!  For the turbo project I'd think the siamesed block would be better than the FJ blocks - just more meat to help hold everything in shape better at higher stress levels. 

I have no idea who manufactured the big block I have.  The "cooling fins" appear to be mostly cosmetic -- but I'm sure the block is strong as hell!  I've done some street riding on it in the past (when it was only 83 mm bore) but not since putting the custom CP pistons in it.  Some of the old Kawi and Suzi big blocks actually looked pretty good for street use as well as the drag strip.  Can you post up pics of your big blocks?

jnimbostratus

As much as i dont want to im thinking about abandoning this bike. Im looking at a lot of money in parts between the trans and motor and i could build a whole nother project with the turbo and fuel system i have on the fj now. I really love this bike tho, its truly one of a kind now and it has taught me alot but i just dont know anymore. I keep thinking about buying a used engine but how long till that one folds under pressure. Anyone have a old race cut trans for sale? Or a big bore block? I was under the impression the stock bottom was up to the task, mostly just from the physical observation of the girth. Id also luke to do some head work so the $$$$ just keeps stacking.

giantkiller

Quote from: fj1289 on October 07, 2016, 04:10:11 PM
Quote from: giantkiller on October 07, 2016, 12:58:17 PM

Yes - should have been XJR block!  For the turbo project I'd think the siamesed block would be better than the FJ blocks - just more meat to help hold everything in shape better at higher stress levels.  

I have no idea who manufactured the big block I have.  The "cooling fins" appear to be mostly cosmetic -- but I'm sure the block is strong as hell!  I've done some street riding on it in the past (when it was only 83 mm bore) but not since putting the custom CP pistons in it.  Some of the old Kawi and Suzi big blocks actually looked pretty good for street use as well as the drag strip.  Can you post up pics of your big blocks?
I have them in storage.  Trying to get my house ready to sell. So I can build my shop/house.
Anyway the Wisco block is a 1380. The APE block is 1450. Cycle world had a small write up of the APE block. Look up fj 1450. The Wisco actually has Wisco machined into the side of the block. I got them off eBay. Really cheap. there is a guy who buys up old drag bikes and parts them out. I got both with the pistons for less than $250 on 2 different auctions. Got the cases and all the miscellaneous parts for just over $100. Both reinforced. One with epoxy. The other was weld build up. But Randy said that the welded one was probably not true. Most likely warped from the welding. Some day In the future I'll have them built.
I found a picture of one on the net but I think it's from a company in the UK.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

jnimbostratus

Pat Conlon

As far as I know, the largest piston fitted in an XJR block is a 84mm Ross piston displacing 1412cc available from Curt Andrews
http://andrewsmotorsports.mybigcommerce.com/yamaha-fj-fj1100-fj1200-xjr1300-1412cc-84mm-ross-piston-cylinder-kit/

For street use I would stay with the sleeved XJR block for better cooling (deeper fins)
Back in the '90's I knew a guy who had the APE 1450 billet block and while fine on the drag strip, he cooked the engine running it on the street (even running VP fuel)

I am very happy with my 83mm 1380 block (XJR) from Curt Andrews. Randy built the engine and it hauls ass.
What I have discovered is that the Ross pistons are a much better choice for a street bike than the Hank Scott Pro lite Pistons I replaced.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3