News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Jnimbostratus Street Fighter Project

Started by jnimbostratus, March 31, 2014, 09:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fj1289

Well, nix the idea of a cylinder head swap - per the expert on these swaps, the cylinder spacing for the oil cooled GSXR is all wrong.  

jnimbostratus

Are there any swaps the fj motor will accept?

fj1289

I don't know of any and can't think of any good canidates.  I'm thinking you'd need to keep it air cooled, want something that is reasonably available and still has good support base for the types of.mods you would be looking for and is a better starting point than the FJ head.   At this point I think its better to stick with the FJ head -- but the wheels are always turning -- even if 90% of what I come up with isn't feasible or reasonable!

jnimbostratus

I got my house! Should have shop set up in a few weeks

jnimbostratus

Well theres your problem... i think i may have had an injector fail havnt tested them yet. Almost dont care to because i wont be reusing them cuz im upsizing for e85

jnimbostratus

Owning a house has been putting a huge slowdown on my bike. I went ahead and bought a 1200 engine so I can continue to ride and do things with the bike while I take my time rebuilding my original engine.

I really want to add a knock sensor this time around. I have read alot about the gm ESC playing well with the megasquirt but this will require a 3/8ths sensor be drilled and tapped into the block somewhere. If anyone has any type of experience with this type of thing I would appreciate any type of input or suggestions.

fj1289

Quote from: jnimbostratus on February 01, 2017, 06:25:36 PM
Well theres your problem... i think i may have had an injector fail havnt tested them yet. Almost dont care to because i wont be reusing them cuz im upsizing for e85

I missed this earlier -- what does the head look like?  Is that material that was "knocked off" the piston?  Or did it come from the head?  Is that spark plug "splattered" too?

Do some research on knock sensors.  I don't know if the newer ones are better at ignoring mechanical noise, but I'd think it would be a huge challenge on an FJ with the starter/alternator chain, gear driven clutch, and the timing chain rub blocks, etc.  That's one I'll be interested in to see how well it works. 

jnimbostratus

New motors in and rough mock-up of the new exhaust setup. Much more practical and picked up about 4 inches of ground clearance under the bike.

The research I have done on knock sensors suggests that each sensor is tuned for a specific frequency for a particular engine setup so retrofit means no gaurentee for positive result but with the versatility of the megasquirt and it's tuning software I think I will be giving it a try anyway. I have seen on car engine knock sensor retrofits people bolt a plate to the engine with a sensor bung welded to said plate and see positive results. I think I may start this way before drilling into the block.

fj1289

Maybe see what the air cooled VW crowd uses (or air cooled Porsche).

Don't know if the cases will be noisy - maybe mounted to the head?  Or would valve noise be an issue?  Best of luck - it would be nice to have to assist with ignition tuning.

Nice to pick up the ground clearance - but watch the right hand turns!!

jnimbostratus

The new header lands right Infront of the oil galley that I was using to feed the turbo. Anyone know where else I could good oil pressure? Could I tee into the oil cooler lines? Which side is the feed and which is the return on the oil pan fittings?

jnimbostratus

Mybad. Apparently there is another galley point on the opposite side of engine that I can use to feed the turbo. And one Infront of the engine I will try to use for oil temp sensor.

fj1289

The temp sensor from a Saturn works well. Standard GM sensor that's only 1/8 NPT. 

jnimbostratus

Do you know if it's the same 2 wire plug as the 3/8 not sensor that's already built into my custom harness?

jnimbostratus

The new headers don't allow thee intercooler to fit in its place anymore so I had to front front mount it. It actually allows the intercooler piping to fit tighter to the bike and freed up some leg room. Once I get ride of all the couplers and make up some hardpipes for each side it will fit nice an snug. I also got everything from the old motor swaped over to the new motor (turbo oil lines, ignition trigger and pickup,etc) and gathered all the parts to revamp my fuel system. Pics of that to come.

jnimbostratus

Had to put the oil cooler back in its stock location because I had to put the intercooler out front.

I got the fuel system redone using a high volume low pressure airtex pump as a lift pump and a new fuel filter from a Chevy cobalt that has a return line to serve as a surge tank dumped some oil in it and she fired right up.