News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Jnimbostratus Street Fighter Project

Started by jnimbostratus, March 31, 2014, 09:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jnimbostratus

Almost forgot I got the vband flanges and midpipe mostly tacked up need to pick up some more wire today to finish last few tacks then that can come off an get tig'd.

fj1289

Quote from: jnimbostratus on February 26, 2017, 05:35:20 PM
Do you know if it's the same 2 wire plug as the 3/8 not sensor that's already built into my custom harness?

Here are pics of the Saturn sensor and connector. 

Hope that helps

jnimbostratus

I have seen in my searching that same sensor with both that plug and the plug I have. I think I will just snip mine off the harness an take it to the parts store an laugh when they ask me what car it's for lol. The one guy at the local AutoZone asked me one day if I owned a shop cuz I'm always getting shot from random vehicles then when I explained to him the parts have all been for my turbo bike he was at a loss for words. Thanks for you help again as always Chris. Btw I'm hoping to get back to the fun part dialing in this tune again by next week. Going to use my buddy's Tig on Sat to get my exhaust finished up.

jnimbostratus

I got the rpmracing oil galley adaptors in the mail and got my oil temp sensor hooked up and redid my turbo oil feed line for a cleaner look with a 90° fitting. Then I got everything ready to test ride then I took it around the block. It is amazing to have second gear. Of course I could not really test it because the roads still to slick here couldn't keep the tire from spinning.

Here's a video of building boost on the 2step at 4000 rpm
http://scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com/t50.2886-16/17501831_1662893714013242_3770945508810424320_n.mp4

jnimbostratus

Well I pretty much have everything to where I want it and the tune is in a really good spot. It has never been this fast but for some reason I'm not making more then 6 psi of boost. I think the problem is my wastegate actuator preload. I moved the turbo mounting slightly and I think I'm out of adjustment on the rod. Otherwise running really strong.

jnimbostratus

Adjusted​ waste gate actuator and seemed to fix that right up.

Took it on the highway for the first time today since it's been back together and running well. It's unbelievable how hard it pulls at highway speed. At 60mph if I kick it into 3rd gear the turbo spools instantly and it just pulls. 60-120 feels instant. Clutch slipped at one point around 105mph or so. AFRs are beautiful everywhere

fj1289

jnimbostratus

I have been having an absolutely wild time on the rare occasion that I find time to take the bike out. I finally got a new inspection sticker after finding and open minded shop (the Yamaha dealer I tried first walk out looked at the bike started laughing hysterically and said "I'm not putting a sticker on that, look at the size of the effing turbo" then he just walked back inside) the thing is an absolute blast as soon as I get someone willing to cruise with me to get some video from a car I will post it. On the highway it's just a riot.

I do have something haunting me in my sleep tho and it's the got dam gas cap (or lack ther of) right now I just have this Jeep gas cap that I kinda shove in and twist till it holds in place decent. When I bought this tank I was totally oblivious to the fact that it had a 1200 tank on it and I was buying an 1100 tank. I just assumed at the time I would put my old 1200 cap on my new 1100 tank but in my infinite naivety I have found myself in this position of overwhelming frustration. One of you fj gurus must know of some kind of solution outside of a heavily involved fabricated piece. I have tried cross reference to see if a similar cap could fit with no luck. Please someone have the answer I long for.

fj1289

Hate to say it - probably easier, quicker, and maybe cheaper to chase down another 1200 tank and cap....seems finding a good 1100 cap is like sifting through rocking horse poo looking for hen's teeth on Feb 29th...

jnimbostratus

I blew my turbo oil seals when I redid my exhaust. My drain line was no longer sloped down and caused pooling.  I got a new turbo a little smaller for better response and I added a tial external wastegate while at it but I still need to address the oil drain. Is the plug in the side of the oil pan (right leg side) pressurized? I could weld a bung in the clutch cover but I'm trying to avoid that to get some ride time before winter come.

Pat Conlon

Yes, as you sit on the bike, the right side pan fitting is to the pressure line up to the oil cooler, left side pan fitting is the return drain to the oil pan.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

jnimbostratus

Thanks pat thats what i tjought after googling a pic of the pan. The left side being the drain it is still pressurized correct? It's just returning pressure instead of fed pressure? I need someplace the oil can easily flow to. Is the clutch cover center section thick enough to drill and tap a return above oil level?

jnimbostratus

Any one know about this clutch cover center section?

jnimbostratus

Made some progress on the new turbo setup.