News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Tim and his '84 FJ in Oakville, Ontario

Started by tboy, April 03, 2014, 10:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tboy

Thanks for the people who developed and run this website - a great resource

Found my FJ about 6 years ago and have played with it ever since.  When I was looking for a bike to restore I looked on ebay (I think) and I saw '87 or so, and when I went to buy it, it was an '84. I didn't notice until a year later the pic and the bike weren't the same. I was just pumped to have a bike I could work on.
Good riding and easy working on.  It is totally apart right now for a frame re-paint and look-over of everything as it gets put back together, including the engine.
I've been on the parts wanted section asking about chain sliders and fork re-builds. 
Must have been one of the first ones built sorta,  has a serial number of 000135.
Also own a very well-kept '87 FZR750 Pure Sports Genesis. 
I also race in the VRRA (Vintage Road Racing Assoc.) on a '75 Honda CB500T.
My day job is working on the 7 OEM motorcycle shows across Canada. 

fj johnnie

Welcome aboard!! This is a great forum with a lot of nuts offering plenty of great advice. I am in Niagara. We are hosting a clinic at my place . It is in May. Listed in the Maintenance section . If interested I will PM you my address.There are some other FJ ers in Oakville as well.

movenon

Welcome ! Yes that is a low number.  A while back we had a list of the numbers, trying to find the lowest just for fun.  But I don't remember the subject title...
Lots of good information here and great members. Post some pictures when you can.  :good2:
George

Found it..... http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=10806.msg105682#msg105682

You might continue that thread :).
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

yamaha fj rider

Welcome tboy. Yes first year and a low number. Yamaha vin# start with 101 so the first unit to be sold would be 000101. Some are produced for testing those numbers are below that but are never sold.

Kurt 
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
YZ250X I still love 2 strokes
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

Tiger

:hi: Hi and welcome to the site and to 'Team Canada'... :good2:

We have quite a good following here in Ontario. I'm just a wee bit north of you in Erin and running an '85... :drinks:

John.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in an attractive & well preserved body...but rather to slide in sideways, body completely worn out and and with your last dying breath screaming, "HOOOYA LIFE, lets try that again"!!!

Tiger

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in an attractive & well preserved body...but rather to slide in sideways, body completely worn out and and with your last dying breath screaming, "HOOOYA LIFE, lets try that again"!!!

CanDman

Quote from: tboy on April 03, 2014, 10:50:47 AM
Thanks for the people who developed and run this website - a great resource

My day job is working on the 7 OEM motorcycle shows across Canada.  

Hi Tim and welcome to the group.....great day job bro....we may just have to elect you as honorary spokesperson for the Canadian FJr's ..... :drinks:.  I actually just built a house down that end of town (Tarfalgar and Lakeshore). Big houses down that way......anyway...it is great to have you aboard and with any luck, we can get all the Ontario members together at one event or another. Some great people in here with a ton of knowledge.....sounds like you may be one of them !! Keep your eyes and ears peeled for Manshed days....day rides....BBQ's and hopefully..our first rally. Johnnie's manshed day should be awesome...try to make it if you can.....until we meet ......cheers
CanDman
Never regret your choices in life ! There is no way to go back to do it again and compare. Make the most and do your best with every decision you make

tboy

Hi CanDman:  Thanks for the note.

Myself, Lakeshore and Maple Grove.  I saw a note about a meeting/garage meet on May 17 in Ridgeville, and seeing a demo on valve clearance would be great.  Its the long weekend and I'll have to see what my wife has cooked up first. (I have my FJ apart and am spiffing up the frame and parts as they go back on. Motor is resting on the floor for now, doing some maintenance on it.) (See my posts in parts wanted - fork rebuild and chain slider on the swing arm).

T

CanDman

Quote from: tboy on April 04, 2014, 03:10:47 PM
Hi CanDman:  Thanks for the note.

Myself, Lakeshore and Maple Grove.  I saw a note about a meeting/garage meet on May 17 in Ridgeville, and seeing a demo on valve clearance would be great.  Its the long weekend and I'll have to see what my wife has cooked up first. (I have my FJ apart and am spiffing up the frame and parts as they go back on. Motor is resting on the floor for now, doing some maintenance on it.) (See my posts in parts wanted - fork rebuild and chain slider on the swing arm).

T

well I have a swing arm brother.....in fact I have a lot good parts if you need any..... they are from my 85 but they work for the 84 as well.......let me know what you need.....
CanDman   
Never regret your choices in life ! There is no way to go back to do it again and compare. Make the most and do your best with every decision you make

tboy

Hi again C:
Yes, my swing arm chain slider/protector has disintegrated from age - the bottom of it fell off just last year.  Looking for a new/used/intact one for the '84-'85 had no result.  I'm going to fashion something from a piece of polyester that I found in big weird sizes at KW Surplus in Kitchener. Intent is to heat the material, bend it around the front of the swing arm, to make it one piece.  The only anchor point is on top of the swing arm, so a second anchor point will have to be done on the underside.  Still designing and getting my FZR ready to ride asap.

Issue 2 - the forks and those creepy little wavey washers that the previous owner left in all broken and mangled. I'm not going to put any in when I re-assemble.
Issue 3 - Lower steering head bearing race extraction - just some grunt work and a little heat.

Tim

CanDman

Quote from: tboy on April 08, 2014, 10:30:03 AM
Hi again C:
Yes, my swing arm chain slider/protector has disintegrated from age - the bottom of it fell off just last year.  Looking for a new/used/intact one for the '84-'85 had no result.  I'm going to fashion something from a piece of polyester that I found in big weird sizes at KW Surplus in Kitchener. Intent is to heat the material, bend it around the front of the swing arm, to make it one piece.  The only anchor point is on top of the swing arm, so a second anchor point will have to be done on the underside.  Still designing and getting my FZR ready to ride asap.

Issue 2 - the forks and those creepy little wavey washers that the previous owner left in all broken and mangled. I'm not going to put any in when I re-assemble.
Issue 3 - Lower steering head bearing race extraction - just some grunt work and a little heat.

Tim

Hey Tim....sorry for the late reply....I didn't notice this post.......anyway...I think you are referring to the chain guard??? I do have on in excellent condition....PM me if you need it... Kev

tboy

Hey Tim....sorry for the late reply....I didn't notice this post.......anyway...I think you are referring to the chain guard??? I do have on in excellent condition....PM me if you need it... Kev.

Hi Kev:
Sorry for my late delay too
I haven't figured out how to post a pic yet, but the guard I'm talking about is the one that wraps around the front of the swing arm on the chain side, protecting the swing arm from the moving chain.  On my bike it was a grey/biege colour, but I have seen some pics with ones that are black. This one is specific to the '84, because I believe they redesigned them in '85 and beyond. This one has just one bolt or anchor point on top of the swing arm, and the rest of it just wraps around the front and side of the arm.  Newer FJ's have two anchor points on the side of the swing arm instead. In the parts book, it is called a Chain Slipper. 
If you have one of those available, I'd be happy to get it from you.  You can contact me at my bike email address  tstover806@gmail.com
Thanks again
Tim