News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

16''to 17'' front end mod

Started by Brian, April 24, 2014, 09:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Guys, is the change over to 17 '' to obtain better handling or to have better tyre choice ,as im thinking i would also like to sit more upright so that would also suit with the triple tree changing & different bars

Has anyone found if there is a bolt in  front end without machining etc ? other than FJ1200

Cheers Brian

Dont you just love that special place of Beer,Bikes 'N' Bullshit !

oldktmdude

Quote from: Brian on April 24, 2014, 09:59:35 PM
Guys, is the change over to 17 '' to obtain better handling or to have better tyre choice ,as im thinking i would also like to sit more upright so that would also suit with the triple tree changing & different bars

Has anyone found if there is a bolt in  front end without machining etc ? other than FJ1200

Cheers Brian

Brian, handling is improved by using the lower profile sidewall of the 17 "tyre and also by having a larger range of modern compounds and tread designs.
I've fitted a complete '90 FZR1000 front-end to my '85. It's a relatively simple mod but not a straight change over. For the effort I got 17"x3.5" front wheel, 43mm diameter forks, 17mm axle, 320mm brake rotors and a much better looking front mudguard, that doesn't crack and break like the original. There maybe an easier way to go but for me this was a simple job. Still only got damper fork set-up but with Racetec cartridge emulators it's a good compromise.
Others may help with their suggestions. Regards, Pete.   
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

Brian

thanks Pete , I guess the main thing i was thinking on was obtaining the correct headset bearings to another breeds top clamp , how did you work it out

oldktmdude

Quote from: Brian on April 24, 2014, 11:21:49 PM
thanks Pete , I guess the main thing i was thinking on was obtaining the correct headset bearings to another breeds top clamp , how did you work it out
Brian, the FZR uses the same head stock bearings. The only real challenge is that the FZR forks are about 40mm shorter than FJ forks, this means that you need to fabricate some top triple clamp extensions to mount your clip-ons . The FZR clip-on's mount under the top triple clamp as opposed to the FJ's which are mounted above the plate. I'd be glad to post pic's of my set-up if this is the direction in which you decide to go. Regards, Pete. 
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300

Brian

hey mate ,i think im onto a 1200 rolling frame so i can atleast swap frt & rear over but have a question '

at the moment i have the rear shock mod done & it raised the rear about 1 1/2''  & the handle bar risers so frt tubes are pulled thru also, so add that  with the 16 front wheel & i think it is turning in way too fast would that be correct

Regards Brian

oldktmdude

Quote from: Brian on April 27, 2014, 12:32:35 AM
hey mate ,i think im onto a 1200 rolling frame so i can atleast swap frt & rear over but have a question '

at the moment i have the rear shock mod done & it raised the rear about 1 1/2''  & the handle bar risers so frt tubes are pulled thru also, so add that  with the 16 front wheel & i think it is turning in way too fast would that be correct

Regards Brian
Lifting the rear 1 1/2" will make turn-in a lot quicker, so if the forks are up through the clamps as well, it certainly will be causing a very fast turn-in. When I installed the CBR shock to my '85, it lifted the back-end approx 35mm. This in my opinion, made turn-in quicker by the correct amount for my riding style and type of roads I usually ride.   Pete.
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300

movenon

I might relay some of my evolution and experience.  Last year I had the rear end up 41mm and the front lowered approximately 25mm.  It steered to quick for me, I feel that it was to close to the edge. The thing I learned along the way is that that any variables can put you closer to a danger zone in handling.  Less margin for error in tire air pressure, shift in weight, etc.  I also had a slight front end wobble under certain conditions which may or may not have had something to do with the set up.

I have since made suspension changes and now my rear end is 25mm higher and the front end is raised up to about 10mm from the top edge of the fork tube, not the cap but to the edge of the tube it's self.  Now I have almost neutral steering.  Made some high speed runs and no problems.

What I am relaying is my own limited personal experience.  In my mods I am trying to stick a little closer to the factory spec's..  I got to far to the edge at least for me.  I am slower in reaction time than a younger rider so that plays into it also.  :lol:
George

Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

Brian

[quote author=movenon link=topic=.

I have since made suspension changes and now my rear end is 25mm higher and the front end is raised up to about 10mm from the top edge of the fork tube, not the cap but to the edge of the tube it's self.  Now I have almost neutral steering.  Made some high speed runs and no probl
George

Thanks for the input guys ,
I suppose with the RPM bar risers some fork tube length  has to be lost unavoidably thru the top clamp

ill fit the 17'' frt and rears then work on the suspension heights ,its definitely to edgy for me also not as quick as I once was

cheers Brian

movenon

To clarify.  My rear is now 25mm higher than from the stock position.  I have no experience with the clip on's yet. If the steering is edgy under good conditions then its my guess from past experience (bad) it won't get any better when you need it the most.  I am by far not the expert on steering or suspension problems.  Others might chip in.  I just experiment and dabble.  The bike is set up with a GSXR rear wheel and an FZR front wheel.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

FJmonkey

Quote from: Brian on April 27, 2014, 05:06:48 PM
not as quick as I once was

cheers Brian

Yea... The older I get, the faster I was.....
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side