News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Clutch lever won't move

Started by DocFJ1200, April 26, 2014, 07:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocFJ1200

I had some wiring problems and had to pop the clutch a few times to get the bike started. Finally fixed wiring issue and started fine. I was unable to get the clutch lever to move when I tried pulling it in. For whatever reason it finally freed up but trying to put bike in gear with shift lever it acts like it wants go into gear but bike won't move. I assume something was caused by popping the clutch. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

red

Quote from: DocFJ1200 on April 26, 2014, 07:12:29 PMI had some wiring problems and had to pop the clutch a few times to get the bike started. Finally fixed wiring issue and started fine. I was unable to get the clutch lever to move when I tried pulling it in. For whatever reason it finally freed up but trying to put bike in gear with shift lever it acts like it wants go into gear but bike won't move. I assume something was caused by popping the clutch. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Doc,

There is a heavy little coil spring inside the clutch lever.  With absolutely nothing else wrong, if that spring gets crunched or broken, it will lock up the lever.  On my FJ, this would be Index #23 on this drawing:
http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/1985-yamaha-fj1100n-handle-switch-lever-assembly.html

You probably have a similar drawing, for your bike (what year was your bike, anyway?) and a new spring there would cost a few bucks for a pair.  If the spring is good, you may have a bad pivot bushing, Index #15.  Check that much, and check back here.   :bye2: 

Cheers,
Red
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

DocFJ1200

Sorry I should have added it's a 1990. I had plenty of fluid in the choke master cylinder. Bled off  some fluid from the slave cylinder to see if the master was messed up . The lever freed up. I'm thinking poping the clutch messed up something in the clutch. Even shifting the gear lever it still won't go into gear.