News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

NOrth American FJ1200's new Aussie life

Started by Troyskie, January 30, 2016, 03:03:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troyskie

I'm going to call her Yummy  :nyam2::biggrin:, because she is a Yummy new project :yahoo:!!!!!
She arrived today from Queensland via bike transport service.
She is a 1UX built December 1985 & shipped to North America in 1986. This was the second batch of 1200's to hit North America. The previous was the first 1TX range, the very first FJ12's to go into production. 10,000 units of each built, unknown number of the 1TX went to North America, but the full 10,000 batch of the 1UX went to North America exclusively.
This is #106 off the production line for the 1UX batch, which means the actual 11006th FJ12 made, of some 300,000 FJ12's ever built.
It was bought to Australia then had QLD compliance plate attached 11th April 2002.
PO is no longer around (Vale Craig Gilles), so import history is u/k.
Could be a US import, the speedo has km/h on the inside, but is mph, 38231 miles on the clock. Could that mean a Canadian import? It does have 'Perimeter Frame Concept' on the fairing, so it should be US. It doesn't have a headlight switch, or pass beam button, so again I think that points to USA.

No battery, so Effie donated hers. A new one is on charge now and will go into Effie.

Oil is black, but at the right level. Brakes work, clutch seems ok. All electricals seem ok.

Crank, crank, crank, nothing, hmm  :unknown:.

Fuel (and inside tank, no rust) look ok  :scratch_one-s_head:.

Hmm, fuel is red/orange, hmm, E10 & probably pretty old  :nea:.

Tank off, drain, 98 flush and semi-fill :yes:.

Crank, crank, tiny bit of choke, WOOO HOOO  :dance: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:!!!!

Sooth as silk once the old fuel was burnt off, bit of a hesitation revving off idle, loud clutch rattle, but don't care!

Whole front end covered in fork oil from the tie-downs and blown fork seals (both).

Quick ride (after superficial oil removal with rag), SWEEEEEEEET!!!!

Now, before I rattle on, I will go on the record as stating here and now to everyone, 'For this project I shall turn as many of the spanners as possible', let's see how impatient I get shall we.....

OK, now the rattle on, seems to have original rubber brake, clutch and fuel lines, fork seals blown but forks possibly polishable. The fuel lines look and smell like they are leaky.

Tires look end of life.

Was told she's a bit smokey and might need rings. Once she was nice and warm I gave her a few heavy rev surges and held. Some smoke, but colour was whitish brown, so no real clue and could just be crud/unburnt fuel. I won't begrudge a minor top end rebuild if she is a bit burnt.

I did find some butchered wiring, but seems functional.

I haven't done a compression test, or checked the alternator, shims, or coils, but 2nd gear seems ok. However I've not really tried it out properly as all that oil over the front end made me very cautious. No major tapping noise from the top end, so perhaps the timing chain and shims are ok, but this will require some spanner turning. (I need to get a compression guage, torque wrench, vacuum gauges, and shim tool thingy,...Pete?)

It looks like she lived inside in North America, then was living rough in Oz.

Here's some pics...
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz