Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Beginning the 84, Restomodification

Started by fj johnnie, April 28, 2014, 07:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fj johnnie

Quote from: FJscott on March 15, 2015, 10:09:11 AM
Johnnie,

another option, one that I am doing to my newly acquired 84 is to use ALL FZ1 components. I am using the swingarm, relay arm with stock dogbones and a shock all off of a 2005 FZ1. you will have to lose the centerstand but for me, my bike didn't have one....no biggie. the biggest hurdle to overcome ( not a big one) is you will have to modify the upper shock mount, or do what I did on my 92 is cut the top shock mount off completely and fab a new one.

in my opinion this is a better alternative than mix matching suspension components from different machines and designs.

good luck,

Scott

I do have the complete rear end, shock , linkage, rotor, wheel, caliper etc. Do you have any pictures of your shock mount modification? I am curious what it looks like. Does your shock FZ1 shock work well on the FJ? And what to do with this nice RPM shock I have here?

fj johnnie

Quote from: FJmonkey on March 15, 2015, 10:19:20 AM
Quote from: FJscott on March 15, 2015, 10:09:11 AM
Johnnie,

another option, one that I am doing to my newly acquired 84 is to use ALL FZ1 components. I am using the swingarm, relay arm with stock dogbones and a shock all off of a 2005 FZ1. you will have to lose the centerstand but for me, my bike didn't have one....no biggie. the biggest hurdle to overcome ( not a big one) is you will have to modify the upper shock mount, or do what I did on my 92 is cut the top shock mount off completely and fab a new one.

in my opinion this is a better alternative than mix matching suspension components from different machines and designs.

good luck,

Scott

Yep, the '84/'87 upper shock mount will need to be cut off and replaced with a new one allowing the longer RPM shock. I have the new shock mount mocked up in a solids design software and a spare '86/'87 frame to weld it on to. Not sure about the FZ1 mods, but it sounds like fun...

Okay I am going to look at the difference between the upper shock mount on the 84 vs. the 89 frames I have here. I did follow your thread . So you are converting your 86 to dog bones and a longer 89-90 RPM shock?

FJscott

Here's a pic of my 92 upper shock mount I made

fj johnnie

FJmonkey

Quote from: fj johnnie on March 15, 2015, 12:41:10 PM
Okay I am going to look at the difference between the upper shock mount on the 84 vs. the 89 frames I have here. I did follow your thread . So you are converting your 86 to dog bones and a longer 89-90 RPM shock?

I don't have any dimensions worked out yet but I know I am close to a working design...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

fj johnnie

Well I am always seeing this gorgeous bike of Pat Conlon's, so I decided to post a picture of one of my beauty queens. This is a  91 FZR 1000, which for me has a long history. I visited my local Yamaha dealer, in 1991. In the mechanic shop was this very FZR 1000. It belonged to the head mechanic, who became a good friend. He only put 1,000 kilometers on it and stopped riding due to health issues. It sat in his basement  for ten years. Now it is part of my collection. It had a small oil leak. it was leaking from a plug used to fill a bore hole for an oil feed to the head. This winter that plug was welded and now she no longer leaks. Finally after years of sitting the FZR is back on the road. New tires are being installed as we speak and soon I can enjoy another 5 valve Yamaha.
Also to get to the original point, I have finally finished the YZF front end swap on my 90 FJ. It was to be a winter project ,but I was coerced into doing an Alabama, Louisiana bike trip in February. I am quite happy with the conversion. My former set up was Gold valve emulators and straight springs in the stock FJ forksand an RPM fork brace. It worked very well, but the YZF front seems more supple. Less impact harshness. Funny how the front end seems lighter, which it is ,but  I didn't expect to feel it. The forks where set up by Bill Proedhel. I am not sure if I spelled that right, sorry Bill if I haven't.  Thanks for a job well done Bill.

X-Ray

Wow, that is one mint classic that is a keeper!
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

fj johnnie

Finally the frame , tail section , etc are at the powder coater. I am doing it all black. I am getting re-started on this bike .

fj johnnie

The frame has arrived and the motor installed.

giantkiller

Quote from: FJmonkey on March 15, 2015, 08:37:08 PM
Quote from: fj johnnie on March 15, 2015, 12:41:10 PM

I don't have any dimensions worked out yet but I know I am close to a working design...

Hey Monkey. If you get to fabing the mount up. Make 2 more and I'll be your first and second customer. For Monkey made upper shock mounts.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

FJmonkey

Quote from: giantkiller on January 03, 2016, 10:14:12 PM
Hey Monkey. If you get to fabing the mount up. Make 2 more and I'll be your first and second customer. For Monkey made upper shock mounts.

Dan, I have a local shop that could quote this part, cut and bent. Might be a bit pricey for a small run of 10 or 20 pieces. But If do then I post a price and see if we get enough interest.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

giantkiller

86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

fj johnnie

/albums/ag182/johnvandenhaak/1126_zps4px6vyv0.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
  I had the linkage from a donor 89 milled down to mimic the dimension of the pick up point on an FZ1 swingarm. I will have the ability to use a stock FJ shock but will order a length adjustable Penske or equivalent in stead. Once the bearings for the swing arm and linkage arrive the resto-modification will continue. I also have an FZ 1 front end to install. Also we will be visiting RPM in February and will install an XJR counter shaft cover with corresponding shift shaft and clutch pushrod.

fj johnnie

Mark Olson

Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"