News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Bonneville - Speed Week 2014

Started by fj1289, May 09, 2014, 03:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firehawk068

You've got a solid plan..........................Rushing things to meet a deadline will lead to mistakes and compromises...............
Better to take your time, and be methodical and safe with your build.............

I still need to ride down and pay you a visit.................. :hi:
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

fj1289

Quote from: Firehawk068 on September 19, 2014, 04:20:49 PM

I still need to ride down and pay you a visit.................. :hi:

Alan - sounds good

Lee Cankenord (sp?) got in touch with me thru email a bit ago.  I think we should try to do a Denver area/Colorado (or anyone else looking for a destination) FJ get together one afternoon while the weather is good. 

Firehawk068

If you're interested in joining me for "Old Bike Night" in Denver on October 2nd.................Sometimes Lee C. makes an appearance..........
I can get in touch with him, and see if he is going to show...................He is a wealth of stories and knowledge  :drinks:
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

fj1289

Quote from: Firehawk068 on September 19, 2014, 09:43:38 PM
If you're interested in joining me for "Old Bike Night" in Denver on October 2nd.................Sometimes Lee C. makes an appearance..........
I can get in touch with him, and see if he is going to show...................He is a wealth of stories and knowledge  :drinks:

Sounds like a plan - I'm in as long as I'm in town!

What are the details?   Place and time?

fj1289

"Plan A" for this phase is to put the bike back on the street with the minimum time and money possible.  As with so many things, this is sometimes easier said (and thought!) than done....

First thoughts are what do I need to be street legal?   Lights, muffler and mirrors seem to be the most lacking (and critical) items.   

Lights - that will mean repairing the fairing from the 90 parts bike enough to be functional.  I reuse a riveted metal repair for the right aft frame mounting point from the 89 fairing (the 89 fairing now has headlight and cooling scoop holes filled in for Bonneville).   I add a similar repair for the other side.   Instead of galvanized steel sheet, this one is cut from an old license plate from the suburban.   A couple other breaks are repaired with a little soldering iron welding and plastic repair epoxy (thanks to whoever discussed this recently - Fred maybe?).  The fairing is now functional if not pretty.  I decide to keep the fairing moved forward and down - less work now and gives clearance for the clip on bars I plan to reuse.  More I can reuse the less work to do. 

The other half of the lights is the tail light.  This one turns into the tail wagging the dog a bit.  I consider keeping the race tail and adding LED light strips.  That will be a few $$, time, and will be somewhat experimental -- will I have to change out the flasher?  Will it work with the modified Busa harness?  Will I have to add resistors?   And I need to figure out a "street" seat to use with it.   Screw it - use the rear subframe and tail piece from the 90.  I know I'll have to do some minor mods to mount the battery/ECU box and the side covers (I smoothed the left side cover to get rid of the grab handle opening).   But these mods are known and are fairly minor.  That also means I can chop up the work if needed - whenever I can steal 5 or 10 minutes in the garage - and easily continue where I left off  (not so easily done with tasks that require figuring in out as you go - that leads to a lot of wasted time and mistakes - DAMHIK!).  In reality the work gets chopped up a lot. 

Now I remember the headlight issue. When I made the swap over to the Busa harness the headlight didn't work.  Not an issue for Bonneville, but is one now!   The hi and lo beam fuses have power to them.   The flash-to-pass switch works.  Wonder if the Busa is setup so the headlight only turns on after it is started?  Try it now - no such luck. 
Also have to sort the rear lights.  The harness was modified to eliminate the rear turn signals.   They used a trailer light adapter.  Brakes and turn signal lights work as intended.   Only one running light works.  While testing all the different possibilities, I turn on the hazard switch.  The head light comes on!  Cool - I screwed up the headlight wiring in a good way!   The tail light wiring is sorted after a few tries and a bit of internet searching.  No part number or label or brand or any marks are on the trailer light converter and can't find any that are similar.   I read of enough different ways to do this mod and combine a couple if them to get it all to work.

This afternoon long task takes a week and a half "stolen" minutes to complete while a bunch of stuff on the honey-do list take priority.   My biggest blocks of time come while stain or polyurethane are drying.

Firehawk068

You sound like a very busy man!  Kinda sounds like how my summer went.....................

"Old Bike Night" is the first Thursday of every month...............The next one happens to be on October 2nd...........

Depending on traffic, I usually show up around 5-ish..................but have shown up as early as 4, and as late as 6.................It usually goes till around 8-9pm........
It's not really an organized affair. People and bikes just kinda show up, and filter in and out throughout the evening.........

I will probably be back on the 8-4:30 shift at the County Shop by then, so I will most likely leave right from there to head up there...........
If you are interested in going with, we can meet somewhere and ride up together.........................That is, depending on your schedule, and whether or not you have a ride-able bike.  :drinks:
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

fj1289

Sounds good - probably leave from work.  Rally in your parking lot? 

The bike is rideable on the street now --- about a week behind on the posts.

Firehawk068

Quote from: fj1289 on September 20, 2014, 04:42:43 PM

Sounds like a solid plan to me.................Can you meet me in my parking lot around 4:30ish?

I'll get in touch with Lee C.
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

fj1289

Quote from: Firehawk068 on September 22, 2014, 01:40:50 PM

Sounds like a solid plan to me.................Can you meet me in my parking lot around 4:30ish?

Sounds good.  Anyone else in?

fj1289

A couple pics of the fairing repair.  This is the "new" repair -- it's the same as the one one the right side that lasted for 13+ years on the other fairing and I simply transplanted to this one. 

Metal strap used to repair broken mount area.  On this one just the scoop fastener point is broken off.  On the original repair on the other fairing, part of the boss for the frame mount was missing also. 

Used 3/16" aluminum rivets vice smaller 1/8".  Also fit a small washer underneath the u-nut to ensure a snug fit

Firehawk068

Quote from: fj1289 on September 22, 2014, 10:31:29 PM
Quote from: Firehawk068 on September 22, 2014, 01:40:50 PM

Sounds good.  Anyone else in?

Todd Q, where you at?
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

fj1289

:mad:

Alan - I'm out now.  Just found out we have to go to wonderful lovely Clovis NM on Thursday afternoon...enjoy a pint for me!

Firehawk068

No Worries, we'll meet up some other time.......................Have a safe trip.  :drinks:
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200