News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

'89 FJ Salvage...rebuild or part?

Started by runnamukk, May 11, 2014, 06:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

runnamukk

Hi all, Been a very long time but I'm back around. Just picked up another '89, a black one. Came from a police impound lot operator, needs a fairing, fork seals, windscreen, seat upholstery (Corbin GF&L), a serious bath, and all the locking bits replaced. Here's the hard part, it fires right up, runs well, shifts smoothly, stops like a stock FJ should. Tires are excellent, K&N air filter. SALVAGE Certificate, dammit.

Q: Should I bother to repair it to possibly pass a State Police safety inspection and retitle it, or (shudder) part it out? Really hard part: Not a lot of money to put into it, in fact we need what little we do have aside for something fairly important.

FWIW, the '89 I was tweaking and riding is still here, proudly owned by an Alaskan fellow, ridden when he and his fiance manage to get over here. (MD) Yes, that means I still change the oil and tires...and ride it.  ?;D

-runnamukk
Be well, do good work, and keep in touch. -Gerrison Keeler

runnamukk

Sorry, tried the 'how to' picture post, not working? Link is> https://www.dropbox.com/s/15ywag9vjym8ygz/89FJBlack1.JPG

Edit: Hey Russel, I also tired to import your pictures but the host (drop box) has a lock on your JPG files. Pat

runnamukk

From behind (no joke): https://www.dropbox.com/s/68sckiltzulu8p6/89FJBlack2.JPG

The fairing is busted on the left side, scoop and snorkel gone, sidecover intact. FYI.

giantkiller

First thing I would do is make sure you can get a title. I have an 87 that was crashed with 860 miles on it. bought all the parts to put it back better than new. Then went to title it and the state of Wisconsin won't let me title it. Tried everything for over a year. finally gave up. I've got a turbo kit made for the fj. So I think I will make a drag toy( dont need a title) out of it next winter
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

andyoutandabout

The piece of advice I went into Fj ownership with was: If is runs right, it is right.
That's proved to be true.
However - I'm on board with the correct papers thing. When it comes to bureaucracy, CA takes first place..EVER (provided your in CA) - closely followed by the DMV, so the double whammy of registering in CA can take an age.
Andy
life without a bike is just life