News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Third Gear Chatter

Started by thefirstofme, May 13, 2014, 12:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thefirstofme

I own a 1984 FJ 1100. I love the bike! It's been really good to me and has plenty of life left in it. However, last summer the clutch started to slip, so I replaced it with a Barnett clutch kit. That was a great investment for the bike. The clutch is real strong now! Although, I thought it was still slipping until I noticed that it was only "slipping" in 3rd gear. 1st to 2nd gears are strong, and if I skip over to 4th, the rest are real strong too. It just starts to chatter and feels like its slipping in 3rd gear. If I roll the throttle slowly through 3rd, it holds and accelerates, but as soon as I turn the throttle quickly, the chatter/slipping begins.

When I bought the bike, I was told the 2nd gear problem was already addressed on this bike.

Is there a simple fix to this 3rd gear problem, or can you recommend the parts necessary to fix it?

Thanks for whatever help you can provide.

Dean

simi_ed

Sorry to tell you Dean, but the fix for 3rd gear is the same as the 2nd gear fix, i.e. an undercut transmission gearset <http://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=UCT>.  Randy is the man to see, he can send  you the parts, or he can do the fix for you.  Either way, it's ugly!  I tried the cheap fix on my '89 when 2nd gear started 'skipping'.  A bit later, 1st gear started the same routine.  That's when I did the undercut trans and replaced the damaged shift forks.  They upgraded the later forks, but it can be a half-way fix.  Since your bike is still (or again) exhibiting the problem, I'd recommend the full-fix.  Not cheap or easy; but fixed it will be.

Drop by the intro page and tell us a bit about yourself!

Ed
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke