News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Some pics of my FJ1200 project

Started by dma251, May 23, 2014, 02:24:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dma251

This is just a mockup, but the angles are all set.  I think I am going to paint the subframe a dark metallic, but maybe just gloss black.   The tail is to-be determined, but probably a simple piece of polished aluminum curving over the taillight up to the seat.  I need to put the battery in the tail.

I'm going to bed.
1990 FJ1200 Cafe

FJmonkey

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

andyb

Black swingarm would really make that thing pop.

dma251

Quote from: andyb on June 02, 2014, 02:51:11 PM
Black swingarm would really make that thing pop.

You think?  I'm not sure, I like the raw aluminum look too.  I think the front forks would definitely look good black, but that is also because the original clearcoated aluminum is is crazed and hazy.  Ideally I would use a gold anodized USD fork, but that would kill the budget...

You might be right, but I will wait until after I have painted the subframe to decide on that.  I definitely don't want it to look like someone just went after it with a can of black spraypaint (which is actually exactly what is happening;)
1990 FJ1200 Cafe

andyb

If you just clear the tank in the state it's in, leave the forks shiny, and you'll have a good balance of color.  No point in drawing attention to the stock arm.  I'd probably do the subframe black as well.  Maybe polish the sprocket up, dunno.  Slippery slope.. just one more change, y`know...

dma251

Tank is already cleared and done.

I am starting to agree with you about the swingarm.

Lets see what it looks like with the subframe black.
1990 FJ1200 Cafe

keand3

Nicw project you have going there dma251 :good2: :good2:

Keep those photos comming, we can't get enough of them  :wacko3:

Cheers
Ken
Whant to check out my photos on the bike??
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=828DDEC8DF631CA5%21103

dma251

I have been slowly assembling, and have made a few solid decisions as far as the tail goes...

I have long considered and finally committed to ditching the backseat.   Today I chopped off the last 8 inches of the subframe and cut down the seat.  I want to fit all the electrics and battery back in the tail behind the rider, and finally I can start playing around with shapes for a small stainless rear cowl.  I have some cool stainless mesh from a gas-turbine engine I used to have, and I might integrate that too.  

I have lots of peaceful meditation ahead working on this project, and I'm into it $520.

The sharp edge on the back of the seat is not finished.  I will tuck it down and tight, I just don't want to do any trimming until I have a plan for the the cowl...   

I'm having a blast doing this.   I haven't done a frame-off motorcycle project for 20 years...
1990 FJ1200 Cafe

andyb

I assume you're going to take a miss on using any of the stock bodywork.

You're probably going to want to use one of the tiny lithium batteries, or the taillight area is going to start looking awfully silly.

You don't want to hear this, but it'll give you something to do:  Take the subframe off and toss it.  Make one from square section tubing.  The frame and swingarm are squareish tubing, and the round tubing looks a bit out of place.  Making it black will help to hide it, but if you could make something from box tubing, it'd look more cohesive, plus give you the chance to properly sort out a place for the electrical bits.

dma251

Quote from: andyb on June 04, 2014, 01:00:59 AM
I assume you're going to take a miss on using any of the stock bodywork.

You're probably going to want to use one of the tiny lithium batteries, or the taillight area is going to start looking awfully silly.

You don't want to hear this, but it'll give you something to do:  Take the subframe off and toss it.  Make one from square section tubing.  The frame and swingarm are squareish tubing, and the round tubing looks a bit out of place.  Making it black will help to hide it, but if you could make something from box tubing, it'd look more cohesive, plus give you the chance to properly sort out a place for the electrical bits.

It's true, I have no use for bodywork.  I spent several weeks last summer carefully removing and smoothing over any trace of the bazillion fasteners, brackets, tabs, loops, etc...   

I know this might seem like sacrilege to many of the members here who love the lines of the FJ's.  I wound up with this bike by happenstance, and its original bodywork was a mess.  I'm making the beast out of a rough situation, and if it pays for itself when I sell it - fantastic.

I've considered starting with square-tubing, but I have seen so many attempts at it that look like hell.  Truth is the factory actually did it right with the triangle shape and made a simple 4-point subframe.  I just smoothed it out and trimmed it a little.   

I think I have enough time into the stocker subframe, if I started over now it would bug me more.  I think once it's black, it won't make much difference.

I definitely appreciate input, though!

1990 FJ1200 Cafe

stua1959

I love what you are doing with this bike. The polished tank looks awesome and really shows off the nice shape - it looks like one of those $1000 custom alloy jobs. The FJ is not an easy bike to do a naked conversion.
I have been researching this for a while and there are some awful examples around. Yours is one of the better ones.
I recently crashed my FJ , destroying the fairing and am very tempted to go this route. I have a picture in my mind of what I want and hope you dont mind if I borrow some of your ideas, especially the tank.
Will be following the rest of this build with much interest

ribbert

Quote from: dma251 on June 04, 2014, 01:18:19 AM
Take the subframe off and toss it.  Make one from square section tubing.  The frame and swingarm are squareish tubing, and the round tubing looks a bit out of place.  Making it black will help to hide it, but if you could make something from box tubing, it'd look more cohesive, plus give you the chance to properly sort out a place for the electrical bits.

I've considered starting with square-tubing, but I have seen so many attempts at it that look like hell.  Truth is the factory actually did it right with the triangle shape and made a simple 4-point subframe.     

You could always box in the existing tube with "U" section steel (if you have a welder) Keep the shape, get the look.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

dma251

Quote from: ribbert on June 04, 2014, 05:49:05 AM
Quote from: dma251 on June 04, 2014, 01:18:19 AM
Take the subframe off and toss it.  Make one from square section tubing.  The frame and swingarm are squareish tubing, and the round tubing looks a bit out of place.  Making it black will help to hide it, but if you could make something from box tubing, it'd look more cohesive, plus give you the chance to properly sort out a place for the electrical bits.

I've considered starting with square-tubing, but I have seen so many attempts at it that look like hell.  Truth is the factory actually did it right with the triangle shape and made a simple 4-point subframe.     

You could always box in the existing tube with "U" section steel (if you have a welder) Keep the shape, get the look.

Noel

It doesn't really need any additional strengthening.  I will have to weld up mounting brackets for the tail cowl.  I think I may use quarter-turn dzus-style fasteners with the fold-out tab to secure the metal rear-cowl when the time comes.

I am going to try my hand at building an 8 cell lithium-iron battery to fit back there.  Electrical is definitely going to be the most time-consuming part of this project, but it is also my favorite part.  I have a pretty well-equipped workshop.

FYI - if anyone is interested in seeing one of my larger restoration projects - here is a link.

http://steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?16105-updated-pics-of-my-hemtt-restoration
1990 FJ1200 Cafe

dma251

Quote from: stua1959 on June 04, 2014, 05:28:28 AM
I love what you are doing with this bike. The polished tank looks awesome and really shows off the nice shape - it looks like one of those $1000 custom alloy jobs. The FJ is not an easy bike to do a naked conversion.
I have been researching this for a while and there are some awful examples around. Yours is one of the better ones.
I recently crashed my FJ , destroying the fairing and am very tempted to go this route. I have a picture in my mind of what I want and hope you dont mind if I borrow some of your ideas, especially the tank.
Will be following the rest of this build with much interest

Brother, I completely agree about the FJ not being easy to do this to.  As I said before, I didn't pick the FJ1200, it picked me.  The steel frame is very difficult to make look right.  I seriously have at least 8 hours carefully removing all the bracketry and smoothing it back down with 2" flap-discs and scotchbrite pads.   Even still, I have to be very selective in how I choose the headlight, as that steel tube in front of the fork is right in the spot a headlight should be.  Still not sure which style I'm going with, but leaning towards a single round 7-8" unit. 

The tank turned out great.  I used Jasco paint stripper to remove the stock paint, and then slowly polished it with 2" pads and elbow grease.   Also carefully trimmed off a few body mounting tabs that are on the lower edge of the tank.  I had a custom paintshop clear it with high-quality PPG clearcoat.     It won't last as long as it would if it were primed and painted a real color, but it looks great and I am going to try the same thing with a front fender.

I am glad you like some of my ideas.  That's what these forums are all about - sharing ideas.  Take what you like, discard the rest.  Just like life...
1990 FJ1200 Cafe

The General

Quote from: dma251 on June 04, 2014, 10:31:03 AM
http://steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?16105-updated-pics-of-my-hemtt-restoration
Any chance of some pics of your finished truck resto? Link doesn`t allow me acces to the finished pics. I love this stuff.  :good2:

`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka