News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Some pics of my FJ1200 project

Started by dma251, May 23, 2014, 02:24:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dma251

This is my 1990 FJ project. I bought this bike from a friend of mine last summer for $500 and done nothing but clean the carbs and ride it once for about five miles.  The previous owner had done some really horrible rattle-can paintwork and the tank was half sticky with melted paint from the gas...  It was a mess.

I plan on just making it into a decent looking standard/cafe style motorcycle, with some subtle custom touches to the chassis geometry giving it a bit more of a Buell-like stance.

Here are some pics so far, and I'll post more as I go. 
1990 FJ1200 Cafe

Joe Sull

Looks good. If you need a good cheap paint, this place has a decent variety.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/restorationshop/

I used it and had good results. The solid color i used on the frame is fairly tough. Getting the motor
back in the frame didn't do the paint any good. It's a tight fit in the first place but the lower rear motor mount
hook over the frame a little. Thats the hardest part. If I do it again, I'll make and engine stand to stop the motor
from tettering while I handle the frame.

They don't have much pearl colors to choose from. I'm not all that happy with the firehorn red I have on the tank
and fairings but thats the brightest red pearl they have in acrylic enamel.

Just something to think about. Good luck. Joe :hi:
You Keep What you kill

FJmonkey

I am happy to see any FJ get loved and ridden. Keep posting on your project, it looks you will do a good job with the FJ.  :good2: I wish my FJ could be inside the house...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

dma251

Wow!  That red really jumps out!   I found an unopened pint of por15 chassis black paint, and am going to use that on the frame and subframe.  I have to sand it still, but might paint tonight.

My experiences with por15 is that you want to try to do it all one time, because the paint is so tough it seals the can shut if you aren't super careful with how you pour it out (you can't brush straight from the container, as it cures with moisture.)

We shall see.  It's a new can, and I am happy to use it up.    The tank is polished and clear coated steel, so that is where my flash will come from.  (the first pic is from BEfORE the tank was polished and cleared)

Stay tuned
1990 FJ1200 Cafe

Capn Ron

I just love the look of the polished tank!  Keep the pictures coming...this one will be interesting!
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.

dma251

The tank is all finished now and ready to go.  This Por15 is a little more flat than I was hoping for, but I'm going to let it dry nice and hard before I topcoat it with something with a little more gloss.  I have several cans of hammerite-black that I am thinking of using on the main frame.   Not sure yet.   The tank is the bright-centerpoint, and I like mechanical style of the motor with all its fins and large proportions.   

I lifted the rear tank-mount about an inch to show off the carbs, and increased the angle of the subframe. 

1990 FJ1200 Cafe

Fj.itis

Great build, look forward to seeing finished product! Something to keep in mind about the tank is the higher you have it at the back the less fuel you have when it gets low, as it all runs toward the front and the tap is at the back.

Another thing to look out for is the fitment of the pods as they will interfere with the sub frame now that you have it set on higher angle. Keep up the good work!

dma251

Finished with painting the engine and frame.  Minor detail work to fasteners and such, and I'm ready to start putting it back together...
1990 FJ1200 Cafe

dma251

Painted the motor with Rustoleum high-heat semigloss black, hit the fins with a 2" 80 grit flap-disc and reinstalled in the frame. 
1990 FJ1200 Cafe

X-Ray

I wasn't sure about a black frame, but I reckon that looks quite alright so far  :good2:
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

theLeopard

This looks killer. Gold braking unit really sets it off.
Where's your exhaust manifold?
1992 FJ1200

Quote from: George"It is What It Is Until It Ain't Anymore"

dma251

Thanks for the compliments.  My exhaust is still sitting in a tub with its related parts and will likely be the last thing to go back on.  If I can find a cheap 4-1 used system I will go that route instead of the heavy stocker. 

This whole project is being done on the cheap, but with my usual attention to detail.  I want to sell it next spring.  I need to paint the subfram tomorrow and then I can show you all the tank and how it turned out.   

Little by little...   
1990 FJ1200 Cafe

dma251

There's just something very relaxing about staying up late at night and methodically putting a machine together.   

The later the night goes, the deeper the ruminating of the sacredness of a man reassembling a useful machine from disarray...   

Anyway, I just put the rear-end on and very carefully adjusted the chain to spec.  I wish I had an f4i shock to put in at this point, but I think I will have to spit-shine the old one and put it back in until later...

1990 FJ1200 Cafe

dma251

a few more.  The chain has at least two hours of straight elbow grease with kerosene getting it back into shape and then soaking in 30w for a week...  It is unbelievable the amount of gunk that can cake on and how aggressively it holds on.

1990 FJ1200 Cafe

dma251

Quote from: X-Ray on June 01, 2014, 12:36:35 AM
I wasn't sure about a black frame, but I reckon that looks quite alright so far  :good2:

I chose black because I wanted to draw attention as far away from that awkward front stem-reinforcement.  I wanted to build a classic cafe/standard style motorcycle with a vintage look, but I didn't get to choose what kind of motorcycle it would be, and the FJ frame is not ideal.

I thought through my options and in the end, I opted to leave the forward framework ahead of the forks and draw the eye away from it with bright tank and headlight/instruments.

I've set by budget at $1000 for this project.  I've already spent $500 for the bike, and about $20 on paint and flapdiscs.  
1990 FJ1200 Cafe