News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Some pics of my FJ1200 project

Started by dma251, May 23, 2014, 02:24:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bearmeister

Nice job!  :good2: Have you already ordered stuff for the battery build? Can recommend this otherwise http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14074__ZIPPY_Flightmax_8400mAh_4S2P_30C_LiFePo4_Pack.html, haven´t got mine yet, but almost cheaper than doing one ur self :)

dma251

Quote from: Bearmeister on July 27, 2014, 10:29:02 AM
Nice job!  :good2: Have you already ordered stuff for the battery build? Can recommend this otherwise. haven´t got mine yet, but almost cheaper than doing one ur self

Thanks for the compliment!  I have bought from hobbyking for many years and have actually had really good results from their batteries.  I have only ordered the plastic interlocking spacers that snap on the cells, as they take the longest to get.  I wanted to enjoy the satisfaction of building my own battery, but I have to say - that Zippy looks very tempting.

Since I cleaned the carbs my bike starts really easy (<1 second), so maybe this battery would work for my limited needs.  If this were a long-haul cruiser I would definitely go with a bigger, more reliable battery.

I really need to start figuring out a headlight mount...
1990 FJ1200 Cafe

dma251

Question:   I have to wire my neutral and low-fuel indicator lights.  I am very concerned about the possibility of creating an arc in the tank by wiring the low-fuel light incorrectly.  

Can I wire the indicator light with 12vdc to the light  and then use the tank signal wire to ground, or does that risk an arc in the tank?  

My harness is nowhere close to stock, and the original relay assembly is long gone.  

1990 FJ1200 Cafe

dma251

What do you all think of high-pipes?  I can't afford to replace the stock exhaust, but I think it would look a lot better up higher.

One of the benefits is I get rid of about 20 lbs. of metal.   Flip side is no more centerstand (I can live without that for this kind of bike), more mass higher off the ground, which is not a great thing...   

I think it gonna work well for this project...
1990 FJ1200 Cafe

jnimbostratus

i dont know how i missed this. good work. nice to see somone else doing a custom. and i totally understand your thought process on using black frame to hide some of its bulk inside of itself. looking forward to seeing this finished. i only read the first and last page haha guna go back and read in between now.

bigdrunk

I love how this project is going, it's exactly what I'd like to do to my FJ. I don't have the skills or the garage to work in, but I'll do my best with what I do have. Learning a lot from your bike though, great work.

giantkiller

I think the pipes look great, like they belong there. But where are you going to put the brake master?
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

dma251

Quote from: giantkiller on August 13, 2014, 08:59:48 AM
I think the pipes look great, like they belong there. But where are you going to put the brake master?

Thanks for the feedback on the pipes.  There's not much you can do with stock cans.  If anyone has a 4-1 system collecting dust they want to part with cheaply let me know, otherwise I'm sticking with the stockers for now.  The modification to the collector is very minor to tweak it upwards so this mod will work. 

The brake master is a problem, and even More-so is that the rear brake pedal has nothing to attach itself to now.  I think I am going to try dime city cycles rearset kit. 
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-custom-motorcycle-chassis-transmission-universal-rearsets-32-diyrs-sld.html

The price is reasonable, and I don't feel up fabricating a whole new system, that's a lot of trial and error. 

Still haven't gotten a straight answer about my low fuel light wiring I asked a few posts back.  Anyone know if I am risking a spark in the tank by wiring power to the indicator light, and letting the switch drop to ground when the level is low?  (does that make sense?). I still have to wire the low fuel light, neutral light, and low oil light.   Fuel is obviously the one that concerns me.

Also still need to figure out if my fuel pump is bad.   I jump around on big projects like this.  If I get tired or stumped with one aspect, I switch to something else to clear the frustration.  ThIs forum is awesome for getting feedback, and showing the progress to people who actually giveashit really keeps the fires burning...

This project is a slow process for me, but I appreciate every bit of advise I get.
Thanks all!
1990 FJ1200 Cafe

dma251

Quote from: Joe Sull on June 17, 2014, 07:03:00 PM
I tried lightening this picture to maybe give you some ideas. If that piece of the frame that goes around the front of the steering head wasn't there, it would make things a lot simpler.

Anyone know what bike this headlight came off of?
1990 FJ1200 Cafe

Fj.itis

Just a guess but maybe a triumph triple.

You could buy a set of aftermarket adjustable rearsets and make a 10mm thick aluminium bracket to bolt them to and space the rearsets outwards to clear the pipe then mount your master to the rearset. The only prob you will have is the gear lever side the side stand will get in the way but a bit of modification and your good to go.

dma251

Quote from: Fj.itis on August 13, 2014, 05:05:31 PM

You could buy a set of aftermarket adjustable rearsets and make a 10mm thick aluminium bracket to bolt them to and space the rearsets outwards to clear the pipe then mount your master to the rearset. The only prob you will have is the gear lever side the side stand will get in the way but a bit of modification and your good to go.

I like your idea, but it comes down to price.  Up until last winter I had a spoolgun for my welder and was planning on learning to Mig aluminum.  I never used it, so I sold it on ebay.  Now I wish I still had it for this project.   Would have made rearset fab a lot easier.   I think I am going to try to find a TIG system and learn to weld aluminum that way.  I've done it a little, but practice, practice, practice is the way to learn TIG.

I want to start work on another bike this fall (honda cx 500 bobber), so I'd like to get the FJ wrapped up or at least to a good stopping point. 
1990 FJ1200 Cafe

Fj.itis

Not a very clear pic but you get the idea, the rear sets were 130 plus 10 for the 10mm aluminium cut off. I didn't need to weld anything as my tig doesn't do aluminium. Just shape the aluminium to the peg holes then project it to where you want your feet to be. Doesn't have to be perfect as they are adjustable so you can move them around.

rlucas

Quote from: Fj.itis on August 13, 2014, 05:05:31 PM

My first guess, too, but I don't think so. Try here for a little comparo\options:

http://www.sportbikelites.com/HEADLIGHTS-s/655.htm
We're not a club. Clubs have rules. Pay dues. Wear hats and shit.

"Y'all might be faster than me, but you didn't have more fun than I did." Eric McClellan (RIP '15)

fj1289

Another option is to use stock Busa peg sets mounted on aluminum plates

Busa pegs were inexpensive and used basic hand tools to cut out the plates