News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

1988-3CV Rebuild

Started by Bantam, June 14, 2014, 03:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bantam

OK I fully dismantled everything a couple of weeks ago and have since been working on everything to get a rolling frame into which I can put the motor before then embarking on all the fiddly stuff and the plastics.

Cleaning the frame up and spraying it found no issues - I've used an Audi silver and it looks great (still hanging up drying) Same with all the simple ancillaries.  The wheels are ready to be painted and I'm using a Vauxhall steel grey for them but I've opted for a polished outer rim; I have this on one of my Exups and the XJR and it looks great.  I'm staying with original wheels for the moment.
Not rebuilt the forks yet, but will have to before I can get a rolling frame.

I'm replacing all the bearings but when it came to the needle rollers for the lower suspension bracket I found the originals to be in a very poor state (powder rust!)  Had a look for new but not that easy to find so I have turned the sleeves to remove the indentations from the needle rollers and then turned some brass bushes to suit.  I have also added a M6 grease nipple to each to allow me to pack them.  Hopefully will work and last better than original.

Original shocker looks fine so I've cleaned and painted it and I have made a new 25H chain up to replace the knackered original.

Thats it so far.   :good:
FJ1200 - 1988 (on the road, brilliant)
XT660R - 2009 (on the road, great fun)
ExUp1000s - All gone now!
ZX12R - 2003 (insane)

Discovery 2 Td5 1998 - (4x4 fun)

Ford Transit Connect Van - 2009 (daily commute)