News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Wog57 Memorial FJ rally 14th March 2015

Started by roverfj1200, June 10, 2014, 02:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oz.fj

I Can't believe it's over already  :ireful:

I would like to thank Rover for the work he put in to making "The 2015 Wog 57 Memorial FJ Rally" the success it was. :good2:

Also a big thank you to the team at RPM for their generous donation of award prizes and their continued commitment to make our great machines the best they can be. :drinks:

It was great to catch up with some old friends and meet some new ones... So if you have never attended a Rally do yourself a favour and get along :good:

89 FJ 1200 Shiny Black
89 FJ 1200 x 3 Red White Silver
92 XR 250
Life is pretty straight without twisties

oldktmdude

G'day everyone, just got in the door after a fantastic 6 days riding, the outstanding highlight being the Wog 57 Rally of course. A big thank you to Richard for all the hard work and effort he put into organising such a great event. Also thanks to all the boys and gals who attented and made it a truly memorable Rally. The above comments are also echoed from Alf. He too had a fantastic time.
 We covered just over 3,300 klms and enjoyed every last one of them. On our way home today, I spotted an FJ parked at a small rest area, It just so happened to be towing a trailer that looked very familiar. Yep, Tony Mac. Now how he ended up in a tiny, out of the way village called Tuena is anybodies guess. He was supposed to be on the Taralga road but found himself on the Crookwell road instead. He had an almost relieved look on his face when we pulled up to talk to him. Don't get me wrong he was still having a ball just touring around on the great roads we suggested he take.    
 I'll post some pics when I've got a bit more energy and wits about me. Thank again everybody.  Regards, Pete.   :drinks:
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

X-Ray

Like Darran said, there is so much build up and anticipation for these rallies, and its all over too soon. But what a great weekend. Couple of sprinkles on the way down but other wise ok, (can't say the same for the team coming up from down south :()  One thing I will say is those damn highway patrol cars are getting harder to spot from a distance now, sneaky buggers blending in their LED light bars with a dark grey roof colour on the cars, wheres the red/blue double bubble that stands out a mile away??

But, top spot, right on the river in Grafton, excellent food, even better drinks, ride on Saturday was a joy, catching up with people we only see once a year (should be more often!!), Joe was on everyones back :)  , made me proud to be part of such a caring group. Richard and Darran did a great job with the formalities, The General approved wholeheartedly, and I just didn't want to end. I think my back tyre was calling it quits way before that though, lol, check the photos. Randys support was very much appreciated by all, he is truly one of a kind.

Thank you, thank you , thank you, I'm ready to do it again next weekend,  :yahoo:

Heres some piccies, and the rest will be on photobucket here ---- http://s367.photobucket.com/user/raywise_2008/library/FJ1200%20Rally%202015%20Grafton?sort=2&page=1

A BIG PS! Ken, Bones and Bender, and whoever else didn't make it this time, you MUST get to the next rally, it really is something special.

'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

Bones

Great photos everyone, looks like a good time was had by all, except me of course who was slogging away at work  :dash2: next year hopefully. I know it's early days yet, but has a decision been made where next years rally will be held.

Who won what awards, and what were some of the prizes. Did Ray or Flips take out the shiniest, plus it looks like Stu had a box with possibly fork valves in it,  :shok:.

What happened to your tyre Ray, did you do a track day while you were down there, looks like it took a fair bit of abuse, or is that just a ploy to intimitate Noel, not only is your bike the shiniest, it' handles the best as well. :biggrin:
93 fj1200
79 suzuki gt250x7

Too young to be old but old enough to know better.

X-Ray

I can't remember all of the awards Tony, there were so many! Flips and I shared Best Presented, Trent and Jodie won "The Ashes", Stu won a nice set of bar risers for "Longest Stayer" on Friday night, Tony (roach) got a nice fork brace through a lucky dip, Cheale got a spin on filter kit, there were gifts flying everywhere! Oh that's right, Glenn won a prize for cleaning up plates of food at whatever table he sat at, it was all happening.

I looked up the wear on my tyre, everything pointed towards the rebound dampening being to quick on the shock, but travelling 2 up all the time I don't think that was the reason. I was told this Dunlop was not the best for a weighty bike with passenger and luggage, pretty sure that's what killed it.

Don't feel too bad about missing out Tony, there is talk of an overnighter in a few weeks in the same area, no pillions, just blasting around the countryside, woohoooooooooooooooo!
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

stua1959

"longest stayer. Thanks Ray, that sounds better than "best drunk"

stua1959

A few more pics of a great weekend

Joe's son Ethan on the far left

winners are grinners

A typical Aussie pub for lunch

Beautiful Coffs Harbour

FJ's by the sea

The General

Ya know, I`ve read a lot of statements on this forum but the biggest understatement, (probly cause it`s never been a formal "topic") is this one:

"You`ve gotta get yourself to a Rally!"

"Yeah yeah sure", ya might think....either positively or maybe even negatively of such a venture.
(Note 1: Sorry google won`t help Rally Education, but I will try to write this with less of my cultural twisted language.)

Culturally the word "Rally" can kinda piss off the average Joe downunder.
  "Rally" has  "Terribly British" overtones of the pompous wealthy getting together as brave motor vehicle enthusiasts, wearing cravats and being crosseyed from an inherited demeanor.  (refer Note 1)...Translates to looking down one`s nose at lesser mortals.

But okay, okay we Aussies can accept anything (or anyone!)..and the word "Rally" sure has grown on me to much more than idollic acceptance...but be aware....any tone of pompensity is fair game for any "Rally" down under...so we would generally add a twist...eg  http://www.shitboxrally.com.au/

In fact it`s an attitude morphed from our British heritage and first theorised by the Pommy, Isaac Newton and now accepted as compulsory around the campfire. (Translation: Anyone Up themselves, must come down......no more translating...)

I was flying pretty high when I received an alert from an affiliate Italian base.  His intelligence had revealed operations planned at coordinates directly over the town of Bellingen.
It was Feb 2012 when he joined our party of shiny misfits and strangers. First impressions were of a Victorian Manner. A low bred squatter, at home on a park bench in Melbourne. His knarly nose peeked through long grey hair with a leather roof tilted forward to hide his unworthy glazed eyes of tannim,.... washed by years of wind blown ecstasy.

Duct tape evidenced his understanding of Newtons laws in a physical sense but it was around the campfire that his demeanor began to show depth. He came bearing gifts from his hometown, while field reports indicated eagle eyes and robust honesty..... but it was his humility that clutched my shoulders and gently steered my descent.....This was not your average Joe!

In May 2013 my co pilot and I crash landed. I was okay. Joe was one of many that helped me adjust to a new well grounded level. Unfortunately, vision had been lost when my co pilot steered us to that catastrophic landing.  It brought all back up services running to the crash site....a drill never practised in reality but highly developed through Rally meetings. (Notice who`s looking after the co-pilot in this 2014 pic:

Six months later I caught up with Joe and his Son Dillon in his Hometown. I was on a rescue mission and managed to get a pic.  It was at this meeting I was further educated into the world of the disabled.

We arranged to meet again in Jindabyne for the 3oth Anniversary of our squadron. Throughout this encounter my co-pilot was afforded great respect and her enhanced senses detected a soft medicated heart with marathon determination. Being free from vision of the Book`s cover allowed for  insightful judgement "This indeed was no ordinary Joe"!
(Australian parliament Recognition....they only got the Bike manufacturer wrong.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuNizrGaKeU

Many reckon you only really get to know a man at or just after his funeral. If that`s true than I reckon the next best step is at a Rally.
Some say it`s a tribal thing......Real men like shoulder to shoulder while the female gender go eye to eye with raucus waving limbs. Add some fuel and a few gifts and you`ve got an FJ Rally.

What happened at the Memorial Rally was extraordinary like every Rally we`ve had.

We discovered only recently joe`s history of health issues that required constant pain killers, his tireless support for the disabled, support for the many bikeriders bitten by the black dog and esp his support for http://www.budawang-s.schools.nsw.edu.au/..  .....and yes he even had a loved reputation as a soccer coach.  http://www.southcoastregister.com.au/story/2383473/absolute-champion/  ......Who`d have thought such on their first meeting.

No one new that 5 years ago Joe had fully restored a bike specifically for his Son Ethan to Ride......Also, no one new young Ethan would ride it all the way from Nowra to his Dad`s memorial Rally.....repeat...we had no idea he was coming!

One look at this dreadlocked young stranger and all knew he was related to Joe....a real chip off the old block with that same casual glint that masked wisdom ahead of any prejudgemnet!....That toast to Joe during our celebrations was truly special....I won`t ever forget such a deserved tribute....No wonder he was nominated for Australian of the year Award 2014.

Rally experience goes far beyond text, mechanical knowledge or polish. The challenge to attend with family commitments, altitude concerns and in some cases geographical distance and time integration can be daunting, but the continuing experience does deserve the prominence of top shelf of the bucket list....certainly no prob for ordinary Joe`s.

FJ rallys are supported behind the scenes by many anonymous blokes. The gifts from Randy are from the heart and meant to be  anonymous. Similarly, Individuals send in stuff anonymously out of their own pocket.....we even got a fantastic Calendar donated by Aviation Fred, a brand new torque wrench came from somewhere else, FJ keytags, FJ stubby holders, even a perfectly scaled model of an FJ Replica!

Can`t wait for the next one!       RIP Joe  .......Certainly, no ordinary Joe:drinks:
`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka

Tony Mac

G'day all, It's now 3 days since I returned home the Wog 57 Memorial rally.
What a great time I had, getting there, during and on the way home.
Thank you very much Richard for your great organisation.
Thank you Randy for your generosity.
Thank you to all the Rally goers for a grand welcome back and a friendly hand shake when meeting for the first time.
I had a ball and covered 3488 K's to Boot.
Thank you Pete and Alf for telling me exactly where I was when we met on the road to nowhere in deepest darkest NSW. :empathy3:
By the way that route to Goulburn turned out to be about 7 K's shorter than the road I should have been on. But who cares, I was having a great time despite being hopelessly lost. :unknown:

My trip home was littered with "If Only's"
If only I got to the National Motorcycle Museum on the day it was open.
If only I arrived at the Woolongong Regional Airport on the last day of it's current exhibition, not the day after.

Thanks again everyone for your friendship.
I love this forum.

Be Good.
Tony
'92 FJ1200
'80 Suzuki GSX 750ET Shirley (Gone to god )
'04 Yamaha XVS1100A Tom (Sold)

Tony Mac

Quote from: oldktmdude on March 17, 2015, 01:14:35 AM
G'day everyone, just got in the door after a fantastic 6 days riding, the outstanding highlight being the Wog 57 Rally of course. A big thank you to Richard for all the hard work and effort he put into organising such a great event. Also thanks to all the boys and gals who attented and made it a truly memorable Rally. The above comments are also echoed from Alf. He too had a fantastic time.
 We covered just over 3,300 klms and enjoyed every last one of them. On our way home today, I spotted an FJ parked at a small rest area, It just so happened to be towing a trailer that looked very familiar. Yep, Tony Mac. Now how he ended up in a tiny, out of the way village called Tuena is anybodies guess. He was supposed to be on the Taralga road but found himself on the Crookwell road instead. He had an almost relieved look on his face when we pulled up to talk to him. Don't get me wrong he was still having a ball just touring around on the great roads we suggested he take.    
 I'll post some pics when I've got a bit more energy and wits about me. Thank again everybody.  Regards, Pete.   :drinks:
It was like "Old Home week" when Pete Burgled into Tuenea. I was thrilled to see these guys. And yes, they knew exactly where I was.
Pete, it was a life saving event when you blokes turned up out of the blue.
I guess you survived that last bit of Road Works. I had an interesting time going through there, as the trailer tried to dictate where in the mud the back wheel of the bike should go.
But I was still smiling all the way through it.

Be Good.
Tony.
'92 FJ1200
'80 Suzuki GSX 750ET Shirley (Gone to god )
'04 Yamaha XVS1100A Tom (Sold)

oldktmdude

Quote from: Tony Mac on March 22, 2015, 04:37:39 AM
It was like "Old Home week" when Pete Burgled into Tuenea. I was thrilled to see these guys. And yes, they knew exactly where I was.
Pete, it was a life saving event when you blokes turned up out of the blue.
I guess you survived that last bit of Road Works. I had an interesting time going through there, as the trailer tried to dictate where in the mud the back wheel of the bike should go.
But I was still smiling all the way through it.

Be Good.
Tony.
Glad to hear that you made it home safely Tony. That bit of roadworks certainly tested our ability to stay up-right on some very trying surface conditions. As I made it to the other end, I was having thoughts of you getting through with your trusty trailer in tow. I'm not even slightly religious but I must admit that I was sending my good luck wishes to you for your journey through it.
   Looks like we ended up only doing a hundred or so km's less than you. We had a great time heading north after the Rally. Traveled on some great roads and saw some fantastic scenery along the way. Thanks for your company at Grafton, hope to see you at next years Rally.  Regards, Pete.
P.S  Next time your heading up the coast let me know and I'll try and catch up for a coffee somewhere.  :drinks:
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

ribbert

Quote from: The General on March 22, 2015, 02:58:16 AM

.......overtones of the pompous wealthy getting together as brave motor vehicle enthusiasts, wearing cravats and being crosseyed from an inherited demeanor.  (refer Note 1)...Translates to looking down one`s nose at lesser mortals.

......... a Victorian Manner. A low bred squatter, at home on a park bench in Melbourne.

Geez Doug, I hate multiple choice questions, I'll get back to you.

Noel

"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"