News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

FZR rims 2

Started by aussiefj, June 22, 2014, 08:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aussiefj

This is what I've ended up with. 5mm spacer sprocket side, sprocket carrier machined down 4mm at sprocket supports, reversed offset sprocket (original spacer was 13mm, so now I've got 5mm spacer + 4mm off carrier + 3mm reversed sprocket = 12mm which gets sprocket back to original position - 1mm) Cush drive unaltered. Original 15mm spacer brake side, keeps disc and caliper aligned, caliper bracket machine down to 20mm, original is 32mm. This has centered wheel at 42mm clearance either side between rim and swingarm. There is 15mm each side between rim and chain and rim and brake torque arm. I plan on using 170 tire so shouldn't be any clearance problems, the 5.5in rim is 160mm wide so tire should only be around 5mm wider each side. That's what I hope anyway, have to get rims resprayed before tires go on then we'll see if it all works out, will let you know.
"It's a fine, fine line between pleasure and pain" - the late great Chrissy Amphlett & Divinyls. Never truer than when you're pushing hard on the bike. A good song to keep in the back of your mind.

red

Quote from: aussiefj on June 22, 2014, 08:31:39 AMThis is what I've ended up with.
Aussiefj,

Just curious.  I do not understand the use of hollow banjo bolts for the sprocket.  The OEM drawings call for studs with nuts to hold the sprocket, which seems (to me) much stronger.  I might guess that maybe there is a clearance problem with the studs, but solid bolts should be stronger than banjo bolts.

Sweet update there, for sure.

Cheers,
Red
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

aussiefj

Quote from: red on June 22, 2014, 09:11:05 AM
Quote from: aussiefj on June 22, 2014, 08:31:39 AMThis is what I've ended up with.
Aussiefj,

Just curious.  I do not understand the use of hollow banjo bolts for the sprocket.  The OEM drawings call for studs with nuts to hold the sprocket, which seems (to me) much stronger.  I might guess that maybe there is a clearance problem with the studs, but solid bolts should be stronger than banjo bolts.

Sweet update there, for sure.

Cheers,
Red

Hi Red, I totally agree with you, I bought the sprocket and carrier as part of a kit to install the 17in rim and that's what the sprocket was bolted on with. There is a clearance problem with studs, so it's easier to use bolts, I will be getting some decent ones. The other problem with the banjo bolts is that there is only 10mm of thread so would be easy to strip the thread in the carrier.

Cheers,
John
"It's a fine, fine line between pleasure and pain" - the late great Chrissy Amphlett & Divinyls. Never truer than when you're pushing hard on the bike. A good song to keep in the back of your mind.

keand3

By the looks of things, you should end up with a pretty good FZR Exup rear mod... Almost as good as mine!  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What color do you have in mind for that wheel? White tends to start an "cleaning" discusion here I have noticed  :rofl: Thank god I like cleaning out my white rims :good2:

Is that those banjo bolts you wrote about in the other thread? Can't figure out why they would ship a sprocket carrier to you with banjo bolts used on the sprocket...
Anyway, good thing that you will be getting some propper ones  :good2:

You machined down all the sprocket supports by 4 mm? Did you get them leveled out? I might considering doing it my self to get that extra mm for perfect alignment...

Cheers
Ken
Whant to check out my photos on the bike??
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=828DDEC8DF631CA5%21103

aussiefj

Quote from: keand3 on June 22, 2014, 03:03:54 PM
By the looks of things, you should end up with a pretty good FZR Exup rear mod... Almost as good as mine!  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What color do you have in mind for that wheel? White tends to start an "cleaning" discusion here I have noticed  :rofl: Thank god I like cleaning out my white rims :good2:

Is that those banjo bolts you wrote about in the other thread? Can't figure out why they would ship a sprocket carrier to you with banjo bolts used on the sprocket...
Anyway, good thing that you will be getting some propper ones  :good2:

You machined down all the sprocket supports by 4 mm? Did you get them leveled out? I might considering doing it my self to get that extra mm for perfect alignment...

Cheers
Ken

I think I,m going to stick with the original grey to keep it closer to stock but with the polished rim.

Yes those are the bolts it came with, if I hadn't decided to get the carrier machined I would never have known until either I changed the sprocket or they broke. Maybe they are adequate, I,m just going on gut feeling and wouldn't use them, plus they only have 10mm of thread instead of 20mm as per the original studs.

The sprocket was machined in a lathe and are all level.

Cheers
John

Bones

Isn't it strange that a rear wheel from a different make of bike (gsxr)  fits the FJ with just an extra spacer each side, but a wheel from another Yamaha of the same era requires heaps more modifications to fit. :unknown:  
93 fj1200
79 suzuki gt250x7

Too young to be old but old enough to know better.

craigo

Hey all,

I got a tip from someone that says this bearing will work on the 17mm FZR fronts. As I am no bearing expert, I thought I would run it up the flagpole and see if anyone agrees.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-quality-non-standard-special-bearings-6203-15-2RS-15-40-12mm/873623347.html

Thanks,

CraigO
CraigO
90FJ1200

captaudi

Hey guys,

I almost never post here (work WAY too much). I covered this a while back when I fit the later 1991 FZR1000 front wheel in my 93. See the attached thread.

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=1511.0

Hope that helps, I have roughly 30k on the setup and it has been flawless.

Dan
93 FJ1200 FZR1000 wheels, Vance and Hines SS2R, Hank Scott jets R1 Monoblocks. Cartridge forks in the works.

1985 RZ350 couple mods

rktmanfj

I'm still trying to figure out if the FJ fork couldn't just be bored out to take a 17mm axle.    :scratch_one-s_head:

But then, I'm working on a whole 'nother idea.

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

Country Joe

Quote from: not a lib on June 24, 2014, 06:39:17 PM
I'm still trying to figure out if the FJ fork couldn't just be bored out to take a 17mm axle.    :scratch_one-s_head:

I was seriously considering buying a 17mm tap and taking it to a machine shop I have used in the past. I really don't see boring the legs out to 17mm dangerous. I found the 1988 wheel just in the nick of time, so I pulled the trigger on it. If I do it again.......but your mileage and risk tolerance may vary :hi:
Joe
1993 FJ 1200

rktmanfj

Quote from: Country Joe on June 24, 2014, 07:24:23 PM
Quote from: not a lib on June 24, 2014, 06:39:17 PM

I was seriously considering buying a 17mm tap and taking it to a machine shop I have used in the past. I really don't see boring the legs out to 17mm dangerous. I found the 1988 wheel just in the nick of time, so I pulled the trigger on it. If I do it again.......but your mileage and risk tolerance may vary :hi:
Joe

The only thing keeping me from trying a YZF600 front wheel on the stock FJ fork is getting the fork bored out to 17mm.  :pardon:

Other than slight backspacing to center the calipers, looks pretty simple... the speedo drive and spacer fit perfectly.

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

Country Joe

I have an early (1995-1996) YZF 600 wheel that I would sell you if you want it. Otherwise, it's going back up on eBay. You already know that the wheel is narrower across the brake rotor mounting surfaces and it is also narrower across the wheel bearings by the same amount. PM me if you are interested in the wheel.
Joe
1993 FJ 1200

aussiefj

I read somewhere about using a 15mm bore spacer through the 17mm bearings is that an option?

Cheers, John

Dogsbestfriend

I was going to go down that route but a genesis wheel turned up. A bespoke inner spacer with extended ends to fit inside the bearings should work but I reckoned that a couple of Permaglide steel backed flanged bushes would be easier with just the extra width from the flanges to consider. I did intend to reduce the length of the inner spacer and mount the flanges on the inner side of the bearings. You need to keep the flange to stop them wandering off down the axle which might be more interesting than funny. Some good people on here do not like the idea of using bushes but all the load is static and in compression with the added bonus that if the wheel bearings seize then you will still roll. (For a little while at least!)

Pat Conlon

A front axle bushing with a wall thickness of 1 mm gives me the heebie geebies....

But that's just me...after all....what could go wrong?
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3