Does your FJ make this noise

yes
9 (81.8%)
no
2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

oz.fj

Is this a standard Fj noise?

4/4 of mine make this sound under load. Some louder than others.

1st gear, brake on, load up the clutch.  

Engine noise FJ
89 FJ 1200 Shiny Black
89 FJ 1200 x 3 Red White Silver
92 XR 250
Life is pretty straight without twisties

Fj.itis

Yep, sounds normal fj to me.

movenon

Mine doesn't sound like that.... Sounds like an exhaust leak to me.. I don't know what you have done to it to trouble shoot the problem but this is what I would do in order.

Make sure all the header nuts are snug.
Remove the headers and check for signs of leaking  around the gaskets and check pipes for cracks.
Do a compression check, perhaps it could be a leaking exhaust valve or head gasket.
That's to start with.

Someone else might have some more suggestions. Thanks for the video and sound track this will be interesting.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

TexasDave

Quote from: movenon on June 25, 2014, 07:34:25 PM
Mine doesn't sound like that.... Sounds like an exhaust leak to me.. I don't know what you have done to it to trouble shoot the problem but this is what I would do in order.

Make sure all the header nuts are snug.
Remove the headers and check for signs of leaking  around the gaskets and check pipes for cracks.
Do a compression check, perhaps it could be a leaking exhaust valve or head gasket.
That's to start with.

Someone else might have some more suggestions. Thanks for the video and sound track this will be interesting.
George
Exhaust leak is what I thought when I heard it too.  Dave
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

Fj.itis

Sounds like normal rattle just before you take off as you release the clutch and the engine takes the load and drops in revs. The audio makes it sound different to what it actually is, thats my theory. If 4 fj's sounded the same then its more then likely normal.

stua1959

Sounds like its about to self destruct. If I were you, I would take a loss and sell it for a couple of hundred to someone who needs a few parts

roverfj1200

Quote from: stua1959 on June 25, 2014, 08:56:33 PM
Sounds like its about to self destruct. If I were you, I would take a loss and sell it for a couple of hundred to someone who needs a few parts

Yes I have $400 and will be up to get all 4.
1988 FJ1200
1991 FJ1200

Richard.

movenon

Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

Flynt

Quote from: movenon on June 25, 2014, 09:20:54 PM
Here is what mine sounds like.

And it sure looks impressive George...  BRAVO!

Frank
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

paulfj03

Quote from: Fj.itis on June 25, 2014, 08:42:49 PM
Sounds like normal rattle just before you take off as you release the clutch and the engine takes the load and drops in revs. The audio makes it sound different to what it actually is, thats my theory. If 4 fj's sounded the same then its more then likely normal.

+1.....
isnt that the sound of the worn starter chain??

Ive heard quieter ones, and I've heard louder ones......either way.....good for another 100 000.

Fj.itis

Quote from: movenon on June 25, 2014, 09:20:54 PM
Here is what mine sounds like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfYSASw6u5s&feature=youtu.be

George

Yep but did you put it in gear and put the rear brake on and slowly let out the clutch to produce the starter chain rattle like ozzie did? All i heard was normal running and a few blips which is what it should sound like when idling and under throttle.

I still vote normal!

oz.fj

Quote from: stua1959 on June 25, 2014, 08:56:33 PM

I guess this is were I give credit to the film maker .... Thanks Bones.... I heard Stus got $500 burning a hole in his pocket.

Quote from: roverfj1200 on June 25, 2014, 09:14:51 PM

Yes I have $400 and will be up to get all 4.

In ya dreams Pal !
89 FJ 1200 Shiny Black
89 FJ 1200 x 3 Red White Silver
92 XR 250
Life is pretty straight without twisties

X-Ray

That is 100% starter chain rattle, no biggie. Mine has been doing it for around the last 10 years, possibly more. But only when taking off to go up the driveway. I would think that 99% of FJs do the same, to a lesser or more extent. As Paul said, good for another 100 000  :good2:

PS, I'll adjust it back to 99% for the 1 "no" vote,  :lol:
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

ken65

gday darran,  i have to say mine doesn't make that sound, ken

X-Ray

Yes but your engine is still a baby Ken.  :drinks:   Once it matures a bit you will more than likely hear its "middle age purr" (growl?)
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ