News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

new noise

Started by lyonsee, July 13, 2014, 06:57:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyonsee

How do I get my fj to run without the fairing ,a noise has started comes in between 70-100mph not sure if its mechanical or body panels.
So some elimination is order.

ribbert

Quote from: lyonsee on July 13, 2014, 06:57:27 AM
How do I get my fj to run without the fairing ,a noise has started comes in between 70-100mph not sure if its mechanical or body panels.
So some elimination is order.

Put the instrument cluster back on and plug it in. If your bike is a late model one it is very likely the noise you are chasing is vibration caused by seized engine mounts, that's about the speed it kicks in.
These bikes do not commonly have any engine noises that behave as you describe.
I can't see what model bike you have from your previous posts.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

red

Quote from: lyonsee on July 13, 2014, 06:57:27 AMHow do I get my fj to run without the fairing ,a noise has started comes in between 70-100mph not sure if its mechanical or body panels.  So some elimination is order.
Lyonsee,

Elimination of one possibility: Disconnect the speedometer cable from the front wheel, and tie the loose end up as high as the speedometer (to avoid losing the center shaft of the cable).  If that fixes the problem, lubricate the center shaft or replace the speedometer cable.  If the center shaft is in bad shape, replace the speedometer cable.  Sometimes, the speedometer itself gets noisy, and even a new cable will not fix it.  These instruments can be repaired, but it may be easier to replace it with a good used part.

Cheers,
Red
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

turbocamino

Also...'some' noises are common/normal for an FJ.....if you can state what the noise sounds like or area its from...that may be a help too.
89 FJ1200 saphire.blu owned 8-9 years.  By far the most satisfying of them all. Constant tinkering got me the best bike you could ever want.