News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

tiny little springs and balls

Started by chiz, July 29, 2014, 11:31:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chiz

Hey all
  I was wondering if any of you folks out there have come across tiny little springs and tiny little steel balls when disassembling Mikuni carbs. I have a couple sets of triple carbs and it seems whenever I take them apart these things appear and I have no idea where from.
   Springs are about 1/4 inch long the diameter of a pencil lead and the ball is the diameter of a pin head..... any ideas anyone????
     Chiz

the fan

chiz

racerrad8

Quote from: chiz on August 01, 2014, 12:32:37 PM
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1978/XS750E/CARBURETOR/parts.html
    Above is a link to the diagram parts 59 and 60 are the two pieces in question.
chiz
That ball & spring is for the choke rod detent to hold the choke in the on position. Since the choke is controlled by the lever on the side, there has to be a means of the choke staying on and the rider not having to hold it on.

The xs1100 has the same set up.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

chiz

Quote from: racerrad8 on August 01, 2014, 12:53:17 PM
Quote from: chiz on August 01, 2014, 12:32:37 PM
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1978/XS750E/CARBURETOR/parts.html
    Above is a link to the diagram parts 59 and 60 are the two pieces in question.
chiz
That ball & spring is for the choke rod detent to hold the choke in the on position. Since the choke is controlled by the lever on the side, there has to be a means of the choke staying on and the rider not having to hold it on.

The xs1100 has the same set up.
  OK was to reply and report no more need for head scratching I discovered where the little buggers go but thanks all the same Randy.... any idea how these carbs would preform on an 850?
Chiz

Randy - RPM

racerrad8

Quote from: chiz on August 01, 2014, 01:03:33 PM
  OK was to reply and report no more need for head scratching I discovered where the little buggers go but thanks all the same Randy.... any idea how these carbs would preform on an 850?
Chiz

Ahh, I got it now...

Nope, I have no idea, I have never had one to work on. I only knew about them from some of the xs1100 guys asking me about converting the 1200 carbs to the XS.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Charlie-brm

Carbs from an XS750 to use in a XS850 . . .
You should be fine. The 850's came with Hitachi HSC34 carbs. The XS750 (my previous bike of 8 years was a 1979 XS750) and the XS1100 use Mikuni BS34 CV carbs.
Some guys with 850's swapped out the factory Hitachi carbs and put in Mikunis. Usually out of familiarity with working on Mikuni's and ease of sourcing parts. No discussion of performance differences.

Corroborated by this thread I picked up from another discussion:

"I think anyone should know that Yamaha did not change parts part way through a model year. I was a Yamaha dealer when those bikes were new. I just researched the parts micro fiche for all of the XS 750, 850 and 1100 series bikes. The XS 850 used only Hitachi HSC 34 carbs for all years and models. They did use the Mikuni BS 34 on the XS 750 as well as the XS 1100 but not on the 850. If you found an 850 with Mikunis then someone changed them at some point."

The enrichener in both cases works directly from an arm on the far left carb, with no external cable, unlike the FJ. The Hitachi enrichener handle pulls straight out to the side to move the rod. The Mikuni has a pivoted lever to draw out the rod.
You know where to get carb kits in Ontario, yes?
If someone wants to see any images I refer to in posts, first check my gallery here. If no bueno, send me a PM. More than glad to share.
Current Model: 1990 FJ1200 3CV since 2020
Past Models: 1984 FJ1100 - 2012 to 2020
1979 XS750SF - 2005 to 2012

chiz

Thanks for that Area bike shop owner commented that Hitachi should have stuck to making radios I respect their opinions so that's why IM going this way and I my experiment wiht the other set on my Beeza
Chiz